Our Very Own Symposium

  • Cheri Pillsbury
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2005
      Yes fellow CV Birders, it's that time of year again! The brochures will be
      mailed soon. But in the meantime, read below and see what is in store for
      you at our annual event. And if you just can't wait, click on the link and
      peruse the entire brochure on our Website.
      The Central Valley Bird Club will be hosting the Ninth Annual Central Valley
      Birding Symposium Nov. 17-20, 2005 at the Radisson Hotel in Stockton, CA.

      There will be field trips, workshops, and a Birding Nature Fair and Art Show
      with over 25 vendors selling nature-related items.

      Our Keynotes are set up a bit differently this year. Thursday we have "The
      Birds of the Central Valley" presented by naturalist Jules Evens using
      master photographer Ian Tate's photos. Friday is "Hot on the Trail of the
      Ivory-billed Woodpecker" by Bobby Harrison and our very own John Trochet.
      Yes, these guys searched for decades and saw the "Grail Bird" before the
      rest of us knew they still existed! What exciting tales they have to tell.
      Saturday night finds us in the company of Don Roberson. He has a Website
      devoted to "The History of California Birding", recounting the pre-computer
      days where dozens of eager (and now legendary) birders scoured the state and
      made history. Some of them may join Don and share in the discussion- many
      of them will be in attendance.

      Other events include workshops such as "Parts is More than Parts: Boning up
      on Bird Identification" by Kimball Garrett and "Shorebird ID Workshop" by
      Joe Morlan. There are also regional programs on topics such as Sacramento's
      Purple Martins and the Sutter Buttes.

      The schedule, brochure, registration form, etc. are on the website:
      http://cvbs.org The non-computer inclined can contact Frances Oliver at
      (209) 369-2010.

      There's something for everyone interested in birds. Come and join us to
      bird, learn, and just have fun!

      Cheri Pillsbury
      Central Valley Birding Symposium
      Stockton