Sacramento Bar / American River Parkway

  • davedlj1246
    Message 1 of 38 , Nov 1, 2003
      Fellow birders,

      On our first weekend in November, early winter conditions seemed
      quite enjoyable to the record highs that we were getting for our last
      weekend in October. I spent 6 hours birding Sacramento Bar and
      tallied 60 species. The following are the highlights from today's
      outing: Sharp-shinned Hawk; a new bird for me for the American River
      Parkway this year was a Wilson's Snipe, a bird that I've only
      observed 2 other times at Sacramento Bar (my only other sighting of a
      Wilson's Snipe for the upper American River Parkway was at William B
      Pond Recreational Area); an adult Mew Gull joined 3 other gull
      species on a gravel bar, including 2 adult Thayer's Gulls; an adult
      Glaucous-winged Gull was on the claybanks at the San Juan Rapids;
      House Wren; Blue-gray Gnatcatcher; first flock of American Robins
      since last spring (these birds have been pretty much hit and miss in
      the last 8 months and then no more than a pair at any time); 11
      Phainopeplas (5 males, 6 females) were scattered throughout the
      Sacramento Bar area; and an Orange-crowned Warbler.

      Sacramento Bar may be accessed by heading south from Fair Oaks
      Blvd on Pennsylvania Avenue to the parking area where an attendant
      may or may not be at the $4.00 fee collecting station. An alternate
      no fee parking area is at the south end of Bannister Street at
      Bannister Park. A $40.00 annual pass may be obtained from the County
      of Sacramento, Department of Parks and Recreation on Bradshaw Road.

      Good birding

      Dave Johnson
    • David
      Message 38 of 38 , Dec 26, 2007
        Fellow birders,

        I revisited Sacramento Bar today, 12/26/07, and in 5 hours I tallied
        58 species of birds, the highlights being: the continuing immature
        TUNDRA SWAN was still in one of the gravel tailing ponds, first
        observed during the ARNHA count on 12/1/07 by Dee Warenycia and
        myself; 6 male and 15 female HOODED MERGANSERS were also in one of the
        gravel tailing ponds (this is the largest grouping of this species
        that I have ever observed together anywhere); of 7 raptor species, the
        best were: 1 adult BALD EAGLE perched in a cottonwood tree about 200
        yards upriver from the Sunrise Bridge on the north side of the
        American River; 1 sub-adult male and 1 female NORTHERN HARRIER; 1
        immature Cooper's Hawk; 10 male Wild Turkeys were foraging near the
        picnic area; 1 first winter Thayer's Gull; 1 calling Phainopepla; 1
        Cedar Waxwing; 1 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher; and no Yellow-billed Magpies.

        Good birding,

        Dave Johnson
        Fair Oaks