Re: [CVBirds] golden-crowned sparrows arrive 9-30-03, 9am

  • Les Chibana
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2003

      I write this as I listen to Golden-crowned Sparrows singing outside my
      window. The ones in my yard seemed to have first arrived on Monday.
      The people in my birding class at the PA Baylands also had very similar
      arrival dates this year.

      Some nit-picky details in Pyle's guide(s) that may or may not have any
      bearing on the ageing of the Golden-crowns in your yard:

      You should know that the newer edition of Pyle, "Identification Guide
      to North American Birds", 1997, has a bit more about assessing crown
      plumage for Golden-Crowned Sparrows (GCSP). The illustrations have
      small changes: they are labeled A, B, C, D, with A being the most
      diffused immature (HY/SY) and D being the most definitive adult
      Crown D has an additional callout noting that the hind crown/nape is
      The order of the crowns are changed by moving the lower two images
      upward so that the youngest plumage is at the upper left and the oldest
      at the lower right, which is a better match for chronological reading.
      age and month designations have been removed from the illustrations
      and the text descriptions have been updated.

      There is a cautionary note in the ageing text. In the Aug-Apr timeframe,
      right now, there is an overlap in crown plumage between the darkest
      and the lightest AHY/ASYs; the reference is to crown B, or in the older
      Pyle, et al, the crown at the lower right. This is the crown that was
      age "Unknown" in the older Pyle. There are now a couple of other plumage
      and molt characteristics to use in conjunction with the crown type.
      are the relative age (shape, freshness) of the outer primary coverts
      and the
      outer retrices (tail feathers). These are best assessed in-hand, but I
      with experience, a bander might be able to see these features in the

      FYI, many of the updates in Pyle involve adding molt timing information
      reference to the outer primary coverts and how they relate to the
      coverts. Plumage assessement is growing up! Also, the 1997 guide
      some non-passerines: doves, cuckoos, owls, nightjars, swifts,
      trogons, kingfishers, and woodpeckers. It's a worthwhile reference even
      one doesn't band birds.

      I don't know if anyone has ever recorded information in banding data to
      know if sibling sparrows migrate together.

      Hi to Don!

      Les Chibana, Palo Alto