[CVBirds] Re: Birding Ethics

  • Mike Feighner
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1 5:14 AM
      Central Valley Birders, CALBIRDERS:

      Some of you will get this twice; some just once. I am sending this to
      CALBIRD as well as I feel the larger audience needs to see David Yee's
      needed comments. Much has been sent by the small handful of birders who
      have successfully seen the Smew. Those like me nearly saw the Smew on
      Saturday, 1-29-2000, but missed it entirely (more than once!) as the
      bird was flushed to another area. After 5 days of patient searching I
      was so totally frustrated by this difficult Smew that I pulled up stakes
      on 1-30-2000 at 1 PM and moved onto Sacramento County to search for the
      reported Barrow's Goldeneyes below Nimbus Dam only to find that they had
      been replaced by Common Goldeneyes. The Smew was finally seen again on
      1-30-2000 but not until after 3 PM. I had feared that all of this
      flushing, whether intentional or not, had ruined all hopes of refinding
      the Smew.

      On a side note, I was in Rancho Mirage in Riverside County on 12-31-1999
      and contemplated what great birds would be nice to see in the year
      2000. There was only one I could think of, and it was a Smew. I
      thought it was about time for one to show up in California again, and
      three weeks later one showed up in Tracy just 25 miles from home. And,
      by the way, it's about time for a Snowy Owl to show up in California
      again too.
      --
      Mike Feighner, Livermore, CA, pac_loon@...