Least Bittern

  • Steve Huckabone
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2003
      I re-located the Least Bittern this morning on the Meadowlark Trail in
      Merced NWR. I walked the trail in a clock-wise direction and just after
      crossing the wooden bridge I stopped to listen. I didn't hear the bird
      so began walking and after a few paces I noticed a Virginia Rail feeding
      just 10 feet away. While watching the Rail the Least Bittern flushed
      from the cattails crossed the trail just few yards in front of me and
      settled back into the cattails. That was it! A new life bird for me!
      Thanks to Mike Feighner and others for posting the information about the
      Least Bittern.

      Steve Huckabone
      Alameda County
      Livermore California
      USA
    • Dennis Cavallo
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5 8:23 PM
        Today at the Yolo Wildlife Area there was a persistent Least Bittern in the reeds on the far side of the pond at parking lot F.

        Dennis Cavallo
        Auburn

      • Kathryn Parker
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 18, 2009
          Yes, they were reported yesterday by the Yolo Bypass people. They have
          known about them for some time but were waiting until the juveniles
          could fly to report them. They have bred at the Yolo Bypass before.
          When you actually see them, they are very different from the Green
          Herons - a completely different jizz, and they are much more brightly
          colored.

          Kathy Parker
          Los Gatos