RE: [CVBirds] Digest Number 867

  • Raymond Hasey
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2003
      Hello, Friday February 28 was an enjoyable birding day for Southern Butte
      County and Sutter County, 104 species on a half day excursion. I highly
      recommend West Butte Road (west side of the buttes) this week, all the
      orchards are in full flower. Although I missed the Golden Eagles this time
      there was a fine view of a Peregrine Falcon, and Sandhill cranes and
      assorted waterfowl to the west side nearer the Pass Road junction. The ten
      or more Wood Ducks persist in the Sutter Bypass (go a mile or so west from
      the Pass Rd/West Butte Junction, but are hunted and skittish. Grey Lodge had
      reduced numbers, but still a good representation by species, a lone Ross's
      Goose remains. Cliff swallows are beginning to show up to the east side
      ponds. My favorite of the day was a low-level high speed pass by a Prairie
      Falcon (close enough overhead to clearly see the legs), and another chance
      to closely observe, then it was in a large cottonwood near the far south end
      of the loop.

      Ray Hasey
      Yuba City