Davis Wetlands, 30-Jun-02

  • Jon King
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1 11:08 AM
      CV birders,

      Early yesterday morning at Davis Wetlands and Davis Wastewater Treatment
      Plant (both Yolo Co.) there were a couple of unseasonal birds and a hint
      of autumn shorebird migration.

      The water levels at the westernmost pond of the DWTP, and at Tract 1 of
      the Wetlands, are currently perfect for shorebirds. Stormwater Lagoon is
      already fine for avocets and stilts, and should start to be good for
      smaller species within the next week or two.

      Least Sand. 14 at DWTP, 10 at Tract 1
      Am. Avocet 50 at DWTP, 145 at Tract 1, 59 on Stormwater
      BN Stilt 10 at DWTP, 14 at Tract 1, 62 on Stormwater
      Bufflehead one heavily worn and faded female on Wastewater Lagoon
      Clark's Grebe one adult on Wastewater
      Blue-winged Teal 1M + 1F on Tract 1, 3M + 4F on Stormwater
      Ruddy Duck 65 on Wastewater

      A couple of breeding notes. I suspect breeding by Gadwall at Davis
      Wetlands has occurred before, but I couldn't find mention of it in my
      notes for the last couple of years. There was a female with six tiny
      young on Tract 7. The Northern Harrier pair just SW of the DWTP
      buildings successfully raised young for at least the third consecutive
      year, with 2-3 vocal fledglings currently in the area.

      Cheers, Jon.