[CVBirds] Cosumnes birds

  • John and Glennah Trochet
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 2, 1999
      Dear Birders,
      At the Cosumnes River Preserve in southern Sacramento County this
      morning three too brief encounters made for a really frustrating day.
      On the Willow Slough Trail there was a singing white-throated
      sparrow in a mixed Zonotrichia flock at "the Point," near wood duck box
      #20, near where you leave the woodland. Over the corner of Bruceville
      and Desmond Roads was an adult peregrine stooping through the shorebird
      flocks. Off the ponds there about 8:15 a.m. flew four swans (early?)
      and over the visitors center about noon were five snow geese and a
      Ross's goose. One of the snows had only two or three black primaries in
      each wing, the outermost being white on both sides.
      The peregrine arrived at an inopportune moment. I was scoping a
      black-legged peep that I found very interesting. It was slightly larger
      than the leasts present and much smaller than the few dunlins nearby.
      It seemed to be entirely in basic plumage: mostly white ventrally, with
      a few dark streaks on the lower neck sides and sides of the breast (most
      of the breast was cleanly whitish), and evenly grayish dorsally. The
      crown looked a bit streakier than elsewhere. The head had a rather
      obscure whitish superciliary. The tips of the folded wings did not
      quite reach the tip of the tail. The bill was quite delicate looking
      for a black-legged peep. It was short, quite fine, lacked significant
      taper to its very slightly drooped fine tip. It lacked the deep base I
      think of as typical for western sandpiper. It was, in fact, shaped very
      like the bills on the least sandpipers around this bird. The bird was
      walking around a dry patch surrounded by water. I couldn't convince
      myself that palmations were present or absent. The call was attention
      getting (the peregrine was approaching at this point): a prolonged, dry,
      grating note somewhat like dunlin's, but lacking the reediness and
      having a short e vowel sound rather than long e. I did not get on it
      quickly enough to find it in flight after it flushed from my scope
      view. I am curious if anyone has heard something like this from western
      sandpiper. Unless I learn otherwise from taped calls, I think this bird
      is most likely a western sandpiper with a strange bill uttering a seldom
      heard call in a state of great fright. Other possibilities anyone wants
      to suggest?
      The other frustrating birds were in brushy fields near the Tall
      Forest.
      Frustrating bird #2 was a Spizella sparrow. It wasn't a chipping
      sparrow (lacking as it did darkness at the lores). But I couldn't get
      it to sit where I could see it again after too brief a look.
      And last but not least, there was another lightning quick look at a
      sparrow I wish I could have seen better. I frankly don't believe I saw
      what I thought I saw. I couldn't get this bird to sit up again either.
      There was another white-throated sparrow on Wendell's Levee, but I
      could not refind either red fox sparrow from week before last.
      Good birding to all.

      Best,

      John Trochet
    • John and Glennah Trochet
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 14, 1999
        Dear Birders,
        Today I led the November edition of the Tall Forest bird survey at
        the Cosumnes River Preserve in southern Sacramento County. We were a
        party of five for most of the morning. Mike Eaton had to leave late
        morning but Kimya Lambert, Chris Conard and John Durand stuck it out
        until mid-afternoon on a long circuitous walk around and through the
        woods. I spent a couple hours afterwards looking at the ponds and
        fields adjacent to Desmond Road and Franklin Boulevard.
        We found 98 species for the day. Highlights were three late
        migrants, a yellow warbler found by Ms. Lambert, a black-throated gray
        warbler and a western tanager; varied thrush and winter wren in fair
        numbers for both for the first time this fall, and at least three
        grasshopper sparrows, one of which sat out long enough for great scope
        views for all but one of us.
        The weather promises a big change this coming week. I hope some of
        these lingerers will stick around for the Central Valley Birding
        Symposium, but it doesn't look really promising.

        Best,

        John Trochet
      • John and Glennah Trochet
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 12 4:53 PM
          Dear Birders,
          Today I spent the morning and much of the afternoon around the Tall
          Forest at the Cosumnes River Preserve in southern Scaramento County.
          Since last Sunday, many hundreds of robins have moved in to feast on the
          grapes. There were somewhat greater numbers of hermit thrushes and
          varied thrushes, too. Orange-crowned warbler numbers were way up; down
          were house wrens and winter wrens. I saw two black-throated gray
          warblers and a probable Townsend's warbler (I didn't see the head well
          enough to rule out hermit hybrid). I missed blue-gray gnatcatcher,
          Wilson's warbler and western tanager, all seen last wekend.
          Near the forest, the unreliable grasshopper sparrows are still
          present- I found three today after missing them three trips in a row. I
          also found my first Cosumnes swamp sparrow in about three years. As I
          was leaving a prairie falcon was flying just east of the junction of
          Desmond and Bruceville Roads.
          I hope these and other late lingerers will persist for the CBC.
          That's asking a lot, since that is still two and a half weeks away.

          Best,

          John Trochet
        • John and Glennah Trochet
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 9, 2000
            Dear Birders,
            This weekend I spent both mornings at the Cosumnes River Preserve in
            southern Sacramento County. Yesterday I did the Lost Slough survey,
            formerly one of the monthly bird transects but now done only
            intermittently. There were lots of waterfowl, mostly on pond #2 (the
            most remote one west of Franklin Boulevard). The scarcest species was
            Eurasian wigeon, of which there were two.
            Today I started at Howard Ranch, a parcel in southeastern Sacramento
            County that is expected to have public access by this coming summer or
            fall. Highlights were four Steller's jays and a red-naped sapsucker,
            plus over a hundred Lewis's woodpeckers. I did not as I did last
            weekend see any mountain bluebirds today, but I visited another portion
            of the ranch.
            Afterwards I returned to near the Tall Forest. I did not see the
            blue grosbeak (which was still present Thursday) on the equipment pad,
            but there were a couple thousand swans, a couple thousand geese, and
            about eight thousand ducks northeast of the pad. I walked several
            slough channels looking without success for that eastern phoebe I've
            been seeking for a few years now. I did not enter the forest today.
            This month's Tall Forest bird survey will be next Saturday, rain or
            shine. I expect that we will have to walk in from the Farm Center,
            since real rains are expected this week. We meet at 6:45 a.m. at the
            Farm Center gate, corner of Bruceville and Desmond Roads. Plan on
            wearing mud boots. On Thursday last, the blue grosbeak, western
            tanager, an Empidonax flycatcher (a Hammond's was id'd on the Rio
            Cosumnes CBC), and grasshopper sparrows were still around. Hopefully
            these and more will spice up the morning.
            Good birding.

            Sincerely,

            John Trochet
          • John and Glennah Trochet
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 9, 2000
              Dear Birders,
              This weekend I spent both mornings at the Cosumnes River Preserve in
              southern Sacramento County. Yesterday I did the Lost Slough survey,
              formerly one of the monthly bird transects but now done only
              intermittently. There were lots of waterfowl, mostly on pond #2 (the
              most remote one west of Franklin Boulevard). The scarcest species was
              Eurasian wigeon, of which there were two.
              Today I started at Howard Ranch, a parcel in southeastern Sacramento
              County that is expected to have public access by this coming summer or
              fall. Highlights were four Steller's jays and a red-naped sapsucker,
              plus over a hundred Lewis's woodpeckers. I did not as I did last
              weekend see any mountain bluebirds today, but I visited another portion
              of the ranch. Lowlight today was being run up a tree by a bull!

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 15, 2000
                Dear Birders,
                Today was the first Tall Forest bird survey of the new year. The
                six of us saw a few good birds for braving threatening skies: three
                grasshopper sparrows, two of which sat out for nice looks; three
                white-throated sparrows in the same mixed flock; one Townsend's warbler;
                one (possibly two) western tanager; a short-eared owl.
                We also saw thousands of ducks geese and swans in the harvested rice
                fields around the perimeter of the forest today. We found no uncommon
                species or forms.
                Thursday Dan Stoebel joined me at the Tall Forest. Our best birds
                were brown creeper and black-throated gray warbler.
                Yesterday I visited Howard Ranch in southeastern Sacramento County,
                a recent addition to the preserve. There I had scores of Lewis's
                woodpeckers, a Steller's jay and a mountain bluebird, plus a bald eagle,
                three ferruginous hawks, a rough-legged hawk and three prairie falcons.

                Good birding,

                John Trochet
              • John and Glennah Trochet
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 16, 2000
                  Dear Birders,
                  I spent from before dawn to after sunset at the Cosumnes River
                  Preserve in southern Sacramento County today. I scoped the ducks, etc.,
                  along Franklin Boulevard early and Desmond Road late, walked the Willow
                  Slough Trail early and at midday, this latter time with John Luther and
                  a group from Friends of Alameda Refuge, took these guests to the Barn
                  area for a while in late afternoon and watched cranes and waterfowl come
                  to roost along Bruceville Road around sundown. Highlights:
                  blue-winged teal- male and two probable females west of Franklin
                  opposite the visitors center;
                  Eurasian green-winged teal- male at the northeast corner (backside) of
                  the pond opposite the gate at 6500 Desmond Road (the Barn);
                  Eurasian wigeon- male on the far island of the pond just east of the
                  previous pond;
                  varied thrush- male in line of Oaks west of the Willow Slough Trail just
                  before it turns east at the river;
                  brown creeper- one in oaks where the trail first meets the river;
                  blue-gray gnatcatcher- on the west side of the trail just beyond the
                  benches and wooden information board at the trailhead;
                  intergrade flicker- one with yellow flight feathers at wooden post
                  number 4;
                  big numbers of geese flying early to the southwest and late from that
                  direction;
                  about 5000 sandhill cranes coming at sunset to roost on both sides of
                  Bruceville about midway between Twin Cities and Desmond; there were a
                  few hundred swans in the fields east of Bruceville at that hour, too.

                  Best,

                  John Trochet
                • John and Glennah Trochet
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 5, 2000
                    Dear Birders,
                    This morning I showed Chris Conard the route Gary and Jeri Langham
                    formerly ran on the bird surveys of Lost Slough at the Cosumnes River
                    Preserve. Chris is going to pick up that survey. He may open it to the
                    public after he gets familiar with the route. The water remains high,
                    so high that part of the loop was submerged. Waterfowl seem mostly to
                    have left the preserve for other places.
                    Still, there were a couple decent finds. Outstanding, actually, was
                    a Brandt's cormorant, a first for the preserve I believe. More
                    expectable, but still good, was a red fox sparrow.
                    The Willow Slough Trail remains closed due to high water. The Tall
                    Forest is also inaccessable for the same reason.

                    Regards,

                    John Trochet
                  • John and Glennah Trochet
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 23, 2001
                      Dear Birders.
                      The second semipalmated species I meant to mention was semi plover. Sorry.
                      I cannot find the phone number for the Central Valley Bird Box. If someone could send it to me I would be grateful.
                      Best,
                      John Trochet

                      John and Glennah Trochet wrote:

                      > Dear Birders,
                      > Following up on a report by Robb Hamilton to David Yee, I found one
                      > and probably a second semipamated sandpipers at the Cosumnes River
                      > Preserve in southern Sacramento County this morning. I think two birds
                      > were involved because bill length seemed to differ between the two.
                      > These were seen on separate visits to the easternmost "pond" south of
                      > Desmond Road near its intersection with Bruceville Road. A semipalmated
                      > sandpiper was there, too. A violet-green swallow flew by early over
                      > this same area.
                      > It is tempting to think that it is the same adult peregrine as last
                      > fall, winter and spring that has returned to the perch on the microwave
                      > tower along Bruceville about half a mile north of Desmond.
                      > Passerine migrants of the usual western species were seen in
                      > forested areas of the preserve.
                      > Best,
                      > John Trochet

                    • Donald Gill
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 6, 2003
                        I saw the project. It looks like a paved sidewalk between the two bridges. I assume that this will make the trail from the main trailhead to the bridge by the visitors center handicap accesible. Is that correct? I would also assume that the trail will reamain pretty much as is south of the visitors center access. I know that in high water years that new sidewalk will be under water. I just wonder if it will stay in place in years of significant flooding.

                        Donald Gill
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 8, 2003
                          As the President of the Disabled Birder's Association of America, I have
                          been in touch with Cosumnes about their construction plans. I have tried to
                          point out that accessibility is both a matter of having areas that
                          wheelchair and scooter users can use, as well as appropriately spaced
                          benches or other places to sit for the up to 20% of us that need to stop and
                          rest due to mobility problems.

                          So far I have gotten nowhere. It is cost effective during renovations to
                          make the area accessible to all of us, but the months go by and I get no
                          response. I can only assume the position is "We have our plans made up,
                          don't confuse us with the actual needs of real disabled people". As far as
                          I know, no actual disabled birders have had any real input into the plans.

                          Cheri Pillsbury
                          Stockton
                          http://dba-usa.org
                        • Mike Eaton
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 9, 2003
                            The posts from Cheri and Don suggest a need for a quick briefing on the
                            current construction activities at the Cosumnes Preserve. Since this risks
                            moving seriously off-topic, I suggest that further comments or requests for
                            more information be handled off-list.

                            The Cosumnes Preserve, like similar ventures, is probably best thought of as
                            a work-in-progress, with ongoing improvements (to benefit both birders and
                            birds) implemented as staffing, volunteer labor, and funding permit. The
                            current phase of work creates a 1.1 mile paved loop trail, expanded
                            off-street parking (including bus parking and turnaround), two new restroom
                            units and updated signage. Earlier phases of work created the two pedestrian
                            bridges across upper Willow Slough and provided the foundation for the
                            current work. Total funding for this package of improvements to date has
                            been about $800,000, with about 40% of that from private contributions and
                            the balance from public sources. Difficulties in securing the funding for
                            the current phase of work have put us a little more than a year behind our
                            original schedule, but the work is on track to be wrapped up within the next
                            three weeks. For those planning a visit sooner than that, the new parking
                            area is not yet open and the Lost Slough Trail is closed, but the Willow
                            Slough Trail is open from the Visitor Center south.

                            This project was designed to generally improve access conditions for all
                            users. It will provide particular benefits to school groups, others arriving
                            by bus, wheelchair users, and those pushing strollers. It solves a looming
                            safety concern, getting both pedestrians and vehicles off of Franklin
                            Boulevard, which will be reopened to (fast) vehicle traffic with the
                            completion next year of the new bridge over the Mokelumne. It enables
                            closure of the old Willow Slough Trailhead on Franklin Boulevard, where we
                            have experienced numerous problems over the years. It doesn't do all that we
                            need, but it is a major step forward and a platform for a wide range of
                            future improvements.

                            We explained project status, purpose, and funding limitations to Cheri in a
                            phone call (following an exchange of email) more than a year ago. More
                            benches and ADA-compliant picnic tables have been and remain on our wish
                            list, and we continue to welcome suggestions and assistance from all
                            quarters.

                            Mike Eaton
                            Director, Delta/San Joaquin Valley Projects
                            The Nature Conservancy
                            13501 Franklin Blvd
                            Galt, CA 95632
                            916 683 1699/fax 683 1702
                            www.cosumnes.org

                            Email: meaton@...

                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 10, 2003
                              My final "onlist" statement is a correction: I sent an email last November,
                              and got a general response. I returned it with specific information
                              attached, and received a "Too busy to read it, have Happy Holidays"
                              response. Further emails were not responded to, nor did I ever receive a
                              phone call from anyone concerned with Cosumnes. If I had received any
                              official word yea or nay I would not have been as frustrated these last ten
                              months.

                              Cheri Pillsbury