Tuolumne County Mystery Woodpecker - Solved!

  • whzerd1
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2013
      Thanks to a link from Dave Kiehl I am convinced that the bird I saw was a form of Nuttal's. The link was using Google Images and the search term Nuttall's Woodpecker. Many of the birds shown had darker head colors - although not as extensive as the bird I saw. I thought mine had the brownish red all the way from the forehead to the back - maybe not.

      I'm almost tempted to go out with a birder photog friend and try to get a picture.

      Nuttall's are common in this patch - so it is more likely to be that.

      Bill Zachman
      Groveland, CA
      Tuolumne County