Re: [CVBirds] Probable Tricolored Blackbird colony, Hwy 16, Sacramento County

  • Dan Airola
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 29, 2013
      My apologies, a correction to the previous message. The pit where the
      Tricoloreds nested in 2010, and where they were traveling from Saturday and
      Sunday, is south of Hwy 16, not north.
      Dan Airola
      Sacramento

      Message 2 of 4 , May 7, 2013
        I stopped by this site yesterday. I drive by this place almost everyday and saw them last year also.
        Yes, they appear to be tricolored. They are flying across the hwy from the gravel pit to a small collection of water and foraging into the field between the rendering plant and hwy 16. I saw some of them collecting water in their beak with an insect, and then flying across the hwy. I'm guessing they are feeding babies. In the gravel pit they are flying into an area where there is a thick cover of tall thistle. I can't see too far in, but there might be blackberry also. I counted for few minutes- 200+. I suspect there are hundreds.

        I also saw a colony last year somewhere near eagles nest and gerber in a stand of blackberry. Will keep looking for them this year. The other area that was used last year is by Excelsior and hwy 16. From what I can see it's not being used this year since a strawberry field was planted nearby.

        I love these birds and remember them from growing up in Marin county.

        Stefanie Stewart
        Wilton, CA