Meiss Road Sparrows 04-22-13

  • drsgmule
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2013
      Karen Z. and I drove Meiss Rd (eastern Sacramento County grassland area) starting at Ione Rd at 8:45am and ending at Dillard Rd. Just after the peak of the first hill (about 1.6 miles from Ione Rd), we saw our first Grasshopper Sparrow. In the next mile or so, we saw four Grasshopper Sparrows on fences and heard an additional four singing in the grass. Also near the base of the same first hill heading towards Dillard Road, we saw three Brewer's Sparrows, one that was singing and buzzing from the lowest wire of the fence. Another three Brewer's Sparrows were on the fences where the paved road starts near the cottonwood forest. We sorted through flocks of predominately Savannah Sparrows looking for a Vesper Sparrow but did not see one.

      Here's a link to photos of one of the Grasshopper and Brewer's Sparrows:
      http://lsp.smugmug.com/Birds/Towhees/15596771_7tPssK#!i=2471988819&k=zbdQVBM

      Linda Pittman
      Wilton, CA