Status of Northern Bobwhites in Yolo County?

  • sachakheath
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 22, 2013
      Hello all,

      I observed a male and female Northern Bobwhite in a fallow field next to a native planted hedgerow, 19 April 2013, in western Yolo County, California (near Co. Rd. 95 & Corcoran Hill Lane).

      I've posted my photos here:
      Male: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DdpAMw59IDt0m-vMqoesxNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

      Female:https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/wAcMUsve6qiktbppaa10VtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

      I know this species has been introduced to western states outside of their natural range for hunting purposes, but am not aware of their status in California, or Yolo County in particular.

      Any information on this species' California (and Yolo) status would be much appreciated!

      Sacha Heath
      Woodland, California
    • Steve Hampton
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 22, 2013
        They are reported occasionally and are presumably escapees from hunting
        clubs. Last year there was one or two calling all summer near the Yolo
        County Landfill. I'm not aware of any breeding evidence.

        --
        Steve Hampton
        Davis, CA