Re: Rufous

  • Bruce Cousens
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 12:20 PM
      Thanks Gary... Same here - first male and first female Rufous hummers,
      with more or less usual timing.... In Nanaimo, BC, about 1,000 mi
      further north!

      I'm not sure what that says about their migration. They follow the
      coast and low elevation valley bottoms initially, and arrivals are
      typically later at cooler higher elevations with later seasonal plant
      flowering times. Granite Bay is on the 400' elev. contour, which I
      wouldn't expect to make that much difference in the CA Central Valley,
      but maybe so, unless they're later than usual for some reason.

      Cheers, ...Bruce Cousens
      Nanaimo, BC, Canada

      1 Rufous
      Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:14 am (PDT) .
      Posted by: "Gary" solarcontrol4

      Hi All: First Rufous checked in yesterday in our yard at
      approximately 4:00pm in Granite Bay

      Gary Grenfell
      Granite Bay