RE: [SierraNevadaBirds] Re: dipper dogma

  • Perrone, Michael@DWR
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2013
      About twenty years ago on about October 1 I saw a first-year dipper on the steps of the Wells Fargo Bank building on Capitol Mall in downtown Sacramento, with tall stone buildings all around, a couple hundred yards from the muddy brown Sacramento River and about a mile from the mouth of the American River. Out of context, you could say.

      Michael Perrone
      Department of Water Resources
      Division of Environmental Services
      3500 Industrial Blvd
      West Sacramento CA 95691
      (916) 376-9788

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2013
        In 1987 I saw a dipper perched on the edge of a fountain at Mountanview
        Cemetery in Oakland. I did not see the bird enter the water.

        That's a long ways from any known nesting location.

        Rusty Scalf

      • Darell Slotton
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2013
          Just to add to the evidence:

          During a Rocky Mountain National Park trip in Colorado two years ago,
          I spent half an hour following a dipper at the edge of a partially
          thawed high lake, and have photos of it very deliberately and
          successfully deep diving and coming up with large aquatic
          invertebrates including Tipulid cranefly larvae. Found other dippers
          during the same trip doing what you would expect along mountain
          streams. Seems they have more than one trick in their bag...

          Darell in Davis