Fantastic Raptor Day in W Placer Co/E Sutter County

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2013
      Hi All,

      Sorry for the late post. I did not originally intend to post this, but I couldn't resist.

      I led a Sacramento Audubon field trip on Sunday 1/27/13, to Western Placer County, and a small section of Eastern Sutter Co. Basically, the areas to the south, north and western sides of the town of Lincoln.

      We had 103 species over all. But the real highlight was an incredible 15 species of diurnal raptors, plus 3 species of Owls. Below is a list:

      Turkey Vulture - numerous
      Northern Harrier - numerous
      White-tailed Kite - numerous
      Sharp-shinned Hawk - 2
      Cooper's Hawk - 1
      Red-shouldered Hawk - several
      Red-tailed Hawk - numerous
      Ferruginous Hawk - 1
      Rough-legged Hawk - 2
      Golden Eagle - 2
      Bald Eagle - 1
      Merlin - 1
      American Kestrel - numerous
      Prairie Falcon - 1
      Peregrine Falcon - 1
      Barn Owl - 2
      Short-eared Owl - 5
      Great Horned Owl - 2

      In addition to the raptors, we had flocks of thousands of Snow, Ross's and Greater White-fronted geese and hundreds of ducks. We also had 9 species of shorebirds, which included flocks of at least 200 Dunlin.

      This is an incredible birding area. But most of it does not carry the protection of the wildlife refuges. Let's hope it remains as it is.

      Good Birding,
      Scott Hoppe
      Citrus Heights, CA