Re: [CVBirds] Re: rde: American Goldfinches

  • Peter Talbot
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2013
      Nancy and all,

      I have had the same number this year as last year. Usually more than a dozen all day long! I can't keep up with the thistle! I live in the McKinley Park area of East Sac. I wonder what's going on in your neighborhood? It seems you are not alone! Others have written about it as well. Good luck! Happy New Year to all!

      Peter Talbot, East Sacramento
      Sent from my iPhone

      On Dec 30, 2012, at 12:12 PM, Nancy Weagly <nmwdvm77@...> wrote:

      > We usually have hundreds daily, with multi-thistle feeders; have had for years; arriving early and staying late. Even had a small family of Lessers (3) who stayed the whole summer for 2 summers in a row. But, not this year.
      >
      > This year I've maybe seen a dozen all year. I was wondering if our yard was the only problem, why no one else had mentioned it, and why such a dramatic change could happen. I am in Tahoe Park..., just a little south of State College.
      >
      > Nancy Weagly
      > Sacramento

    • Jann Dorothy
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2013
        I’m glad to see this topic raised. I was wondering why I’ve not had any American Goldfinches at my feeder this season. The feeder has been full of fresh thistle, but no takers. Until today, that is. I guess they were waiting for the new year to arrive, because today is the first day they’ve shown up in numbers and they’re happily mobbing my feeder as I type this. Go figure.

        Jann Dorothy

        Sacramento

        On Dec 30, 2012, at 12:12 PM, Nancy Weagly <nmwdvm77@... <mailto:nmwdvm77%40sbcglobal.net> > wrote:

        > We usually have hundreds daily, with multi-thistle feeders; have had for years; arriving early and staying late. Even had a small family of Lessers (3) who stayed the whole summer for 2 summers in a row. But, not this year.
        >
        > This year I've maybe seen a dozen all year. I was wondering if our yard was the only problem, why no one else had mentioned it, and why such a dramatic change could happen. I am in Tahoe Park..., just a little south of State College.
        >
        > Nancy Weagly
        > Sacramento

      • GariRae
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2013
          I'm in the Pocket area of Sac and my daily goldfinch pop has gone from 200+ in 2011 to about 100 in Jan 2012 to now about 5!

          - GariRae Gray
          Sacramento
        • Cleta Sue Bailey
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 2, 2013
            Anybody in Davis have goldfinches at their feeders?

            Sue Bailey
            Davis

          • hizzlec
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 3, 2013
              I have a flock of American Goldfinch and Pine Siskin everyday at our feeder in North Davis.

              Hillary White
              Davis, CA

              --- In central_valley_birds@yahoogroups.com, Cleta Sue Bailey wrote:

              > Anybody in Davis have goldfinches at their feeders?
              >
              > Sue Bailey
              > Davis

            • Steve Hampton
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 3, 2013
                me too, also in north Davis.

                On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 6:45 AM, hizzlec <hillarywhite23@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > I have a flock of American Goldfinch and Pine Siskin everyday at our
                > feeder in North Davis.
                >
                > Hillary White
                > Davis, CA
                >

                > --- In central_valley_birds@yahoogroups.com, Cleta Sue Bailey wrote:
                > >
                > > Anybody in Davis have goldfinches at their feeders?
                > >
                > > Sue Bailey
                > > Davis

                Steve Hampton
                Davis, CA

              • Robert Shields
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 3, 2013
                  I am a wildlife biologist working in the Montezuma Hills outside Rio Vista. I have had large flocks (100+) of AMGO on my sites, population looks strong.

                  Cheers

                  Robert Shields
                  Solano county

                  Sent from my iPhone