From the stoop

  • Kris McNew
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2001
      Howdy All...

      The first wave of winter visitors arrived this weekend
      and what a treat it was.

      Saturday morning, I was out on the stoop at 6:30 with
      my coffee and binoculars enjoying the show. Among the
      8 Wilson's Warblers, 3 Orange-crowned Warblers and 2
      Yellow-rumps, the first Ruby-crowned Kinglet of the
      season appeared.

      The catlike calls alerted me to the presence of a
      Warbling Vireo who gave me some excellent looks.

      The appearance of a pair of very agitated Robins
      alerted me to the arrival of a little Merlin who
      paused for a few minutes atop the pinetree on the
      corner.

      White-crowned Sparrows were everywhere! Their songs
      and calls seemed to be coming out of every bush and
      tree in the neighborhood. But only 4 were brave enough
      to visit my feeders.

      On the way home for an afternoon outing, less than a
      block from our house, I heard the calls of an Acorn
      Woodpecker.

      Sunday, the birds had thinned out a little but the
      activity around the garden was very interesting.

      The Scrub Jay clans all gathered in the corner pine
      and had some kind of meeting. There were 6 in this one
      tree and at least 3 more pairs very close by including
      my residents.

      After the Jays had their meeting, the Crows showed up
      for theirs. 5 perched in the pine and noisily
      discussed something of extreme importance.

      Later, I spied a familiar silhouette against the
      trunk, tapping away. A Red-breasted Sapsucker was
      drilling holes with patient precision. It returned a
      few minutes later, and I could see him sampling the
      sap collecting in the freshly drilled holes.

      Later that afternoon, I saw one of my resident Scrub
      Jays on the neighbor's roof. He was stuffing sunflower
      seeds under the shingles!

      =====
      Cheers!
      Kris "Aves" McNew