calling flycatchers and Least Bittern

  • Steve Hampton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2011
      Migrating flycatchers are often silent, but last night I went out to enjoy the sunset on the north edge of Davis and suddenly flycatchers started calling all around me:
      3 Pacific-slope Flycatchers
      2 Willow Flycatchers
      2 Western Wood-Pewees
      1 Olive-sided Flycatcher

      A Townsend's and Wilson's Warbler were also present.

      This morning I walked out to the marshy pond along the causeway at Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area-- heard one calling Least Bittern and saw one lone male Tricolored Blackbird among a few Red-wings and Yellow-headeds.

      good birding,

      Steve Hampton
      Resource Economist
      Office of Spill Prevention and Response