Burrowing Owls

  • TLALOC27@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2001
      All,

      I went birding with Celeste Pryor Saturday a.m. in a vain attempt to find her yet another new Big Year bird, but we had to settle for a total of 15 Burrowing Owls near the Tracy Sewage Ponds. One family group of 7 was huddled next to the fence on the south side of the road that passes on the south side of the ponds themselves and the Holly Sugar plant. From the fence itself, we observed another group of 4 and 4 other individuals inside the enclosure. Didn't even go around to the south side to see if there were any others. It was good to see so many of this cute owl.

      Jim Rowoth
      Stockton (temporarily of Lodi)
    • Joe Meyer
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 28, 2002
        Can anyone point me to the burrowing owls in the vicinity of Merced NWR?

        Thank you.

        Joe Meyer (and Samantha Weber)
        webermeyer@...
      • Mel Bolinder
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
          This morning, while cycling past Longspur Corner (Yolo county, roads
          16 and 90B) saw five burrowing owls, four in flight and one sitting
          near a hole. So nearby development has not eliminated burrowing owls
          from the area...yet. There are plenty of ground squirrels still in
          the area also.

          Mel Bolinder
        • bumpus62000
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 18, 2008
            Had 6 FOS Burrowing Owls at Mather Wednesday evening about 7:55 PM on
            the fence on the NE end of the runway...

            Wayne Blunk
            Carmichael, CA
          • Michele Swartout
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 18
              I just checked the artificial Burrowing Owl habitat we installed on Hamilton/Nord/Cana Highway north of Chico and found two owls. There are 2 separate habitats, that are visible from the road, about 25 feet apart and there was a single owl at the entrance of each. In the past, I have seen one owl only.

              Michele Swartout
              Red Bluff

              🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
            • Michele Swartout
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 11
                Just stopped by the Cana-Hamilton Burrowing Owl site and saw 1 owl at the cave entrance and 4 owls on the mound beyond the artificial burrows. Nice to see the family!

                Michele Swartout
                Red Bluff
              • Larry Montgomery
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 13
                  Can we assume Cana-Hamilton is in the Redding area?
                  Larry Montgomery
                  Sacramento, CA