RE: [CVBirds] RE: [CB] Alameda, Solano & Sacramento Cos. - Loons, Duck, Jay & Gulls

  • Steve Glover
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
      Hi all,
      Of possible interest here is that just to the south of this area, at Piper Slough on Bethel Island, I never recorded a Common Loon. I recorded Pacific Loon on only one occasion. On the other hand, I recorded Red-throated Loon there in at least four consecutive winters from Feb. 1995 - Feb. 1998. It was always a single bird and could conceivably have even been the same bird on every occasion. A very small sample size, I know, but I think it is very possible that Red-throated Loon occurs in this part of the delta more than we realize.
      Steve Glover
      Keller, TX

      From: countybirders@yahoogroups.com <mailto:countybirders%40yahoogroups.com>

      [mailto:countybirders@yahoogroups.com

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
        I too have seen Red-throated Loons in this “reach” of the Delta. Mid-90s was a reliable period (aka Steve’s dates). Hope these come north for the Rio Cosumnes Count this year!!!

        Andy

        Andrew Engilis, Jr.

        Curator

        Museum of Wildlife and Fish Biology