Morning tour of the SAC Bufferlands, 10/2/09

  • Chris Conard
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2009
      Folks,

      This Friday (tomorrow) we'll have another weekday morning tour at the
      Bufferlands, begining at 7:00 am. The format will be along the lines of the
      bird counts at Cosumnes, with the dual goal of surveying the birds and
      providing access to a site otherwise closed to the public.

      We'll be out for about 3 hours checking the forests and forest edges for
      migrating songbirds and whatever else we can find. Be prepared for 2-3
      miles of moderate walking, with generally gentle, but some uneven terrain.
      Please be on time, as we will be driving through a locked gate no later than
      7:05.

      Directions from I-5 south of Sacramento. Exit at Meadowview/Pocket Rd
      (NOTE: this is the exit just south of Florin Rd. If coming from the south,
      it is the next exit north of Laguna Blvd). Go east after the off-ramp, then
      turn right (south) on Freeport Blvd. After one mile, just before the town
      of Freeport, turn left on Stonecrest and follow it over the freeway and
      south around a hairpin turn to a locked gate.
      http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=105205840320847329791.0004608b8a803b563c24b&ll=38.458159,-121.493618&spn=0.030514,0.077248&t=h&z=14

      Let me know if you have any questions. If you get lost, you can call me on
      my cell at 916 203 1610.

      The Sac Reg. County Sanitation District Bufferlands (www.bufferlands.com)
      between Sacramento and Elk Grove contain 2,500 acres of wetlands, riparian
      forest, grasslands, vernal pools, wildlife friendly ag lands, and restored
      habitats.

      Chris Conard
      Sacramento

    • Chris Conard
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2009
        Folks,

        As might be expected, things have really changed over the past couple
        weeks. Numbers of White-crowned and Lincoln Sparrows are way up, though I
        still haven't found my first Golden-crowned Sparrow of the fall (though
        others have). I haven't had Fox Sparrow at the Bufferlands yet either,
        though did have one at Cosumnes (a sooty) on Sunday.

        Except for Black-throated Gray Warblers (we found 7 this morning), warbler
        numbers were way down. There were several Yellows, one or two Wilson's, and
        one briefly-calling Orange-crowned. Numbers of Yellow-rumps are building,
        but not yet overwhelming. Had five Ruby-crowned Kinglets, and the bird of
        the day was a single Golden-crowned Kinglet giving us great views.

        Two Greater White-fronted Geese coming in for a landing are rare to touch
        down at the Bufferlands (there were six on Sunday) and two Sandhill Cranes
        circled as if they were going to land. After the group departed, a Rock
        Wren popped up along the rock-reinforced levee I was driving--probably the
        same bird that was there a few weeks ago.

        My schedule will prevent me from doing another one of these tours in
        October, but I'll try to put something together in November.

        Chris Conard
        Sacramento