Yellow-bellied Sapsucker in Davis

  • Steve Hampton
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2008
      Hello all,

      I'm passing this email along, which arrived on Friday, 11/28:

      I'm a Maryland birder visiting my daughter in Davis. This morning I
      found a juvenal-plumaged sapsucker in Slide Hill Park. From what I can
      determine from the internet, only Yellow-bellied Sapsucker is still in
      juvenal plumage this late in the year, as compared with Red-breasted and
      Red-naped. It certainly looked like the ones I often see in the winter
      in Maryland. The bird was in a small tree in the southwest corner of the
      park.

      Sincerely,

      Mike Welch

      Joan Humphrey reported a similar bird at her house (about ½ mile away)
      over a month ago, so this might be the same bird.

      Steve Hampton
      Resource Economist
      Office of Spill Prevention and Response
      California Dept of Fish and Game