Loons at Lake Natoma

  • Craig Swolgaard
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2008
      Birders-
      I ran out to the lake this morning for a quick look and saw two Common Loons foraging together over by the usual place (the floating porta-potty by the "Orangevale Bluffs"). Along with them was a "floatilla" of 75 - 100 Common Mergansers (didn't have the optics to check for Red-breasted), a Bufflehead, and further downstream was an Eared Grebe. It might be worth checking out some of the other spots for those locals who are interested. Best access for the loons is Young Wo Circle, off Forrest Street. Turn left at the bike trail.
      Good birding,
      Craig Swolgaard
      Folsom, CA

    • wildlightphoto@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2008
        Craig Swolgaard wrote:

        > I ran out to the lake this morning for a quick look and saw two Common Loons foraging
        > together over by the usual place (the floating porta-potty by the "Orangevale Bluffs").
        > Along with them was a "floatilla" of 75 - 100 Common Mergansers (didn't have the optics
        > to check for Red-breasted), a Bufflehead, and further downstream was an Eared Grebe.
        > It might be worth checking out some of the other spots for those locals who are interested.
        > Best access for the loons is Young Wo Circle, off Forrest Street. Turn left at the bike trail.

        Good to hear, I've been checking the western end of the lake by kayak the last several weekends. Last sunday I found a pair of Buffleheads in a hidden bay, and the previous weekend in the same bay was a pair of Eared Grebes:

        http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/podicipedidae/eagr00.jpg

        Tomorrow, weather and paddling muscles permitting, I'll check on the loons & look for Red-breasted Mergansers. In the non-bird department last sunday was a family (~5) of River Otters playing in the lake.

        Doug Herr
        Sacramento
        http://www.wildlightphoto.com