18729Night Heron and Snowy Egret Rookery in Natomas

  • jaegermaestro
    Jun 16, 2014
      This may be a widely known fact in the SAC birding community, I'm not sure.  In case it isn't, I just wanted to point out that there is a burgeoning rookery of Black-crowned Night-Herons and Snowy Egrets at the Riverglen Apartment complex at Azevedo and San Juan in Natomas.  I've been noticing what sure seems like more and more of them on the commute to my office over the last few years.

      This location is near the intersection of a number of drainage canals, not to mention just north of the river confluence at Discovery Park, so it's not surprising there would be a rookery there in the complex's many ornamental pines.

      It's just interesting, especially right now to see so many of the fuzzy, clumsy young chasing each other around the parking lot and lurking atop the bus shelter.

      Dan Williams

      Carmichael

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic