18727Hidden Falls park (Chat city)

  • bigbenthebirdman
    Jun 14 4:50 PM

      Hi everyone,

      I went birding in Hidden Falls Regional Park near Auburn, and I saw at least 15 Yellow Breasted Chats, many of them in plain view, and I heard many more. I could hear the loud clucking, squawking, whistling, and rattling calls for practically the whole 3 hours I was there. I had never seen that many Yellow Breasted Chats in one place anywhere outside of Arizona. Other highlights included Blue Gray Gnatcatcher, Orange Crowned Warbler, Wilson's Warbler, Black Throated Gray Warbler, Hutton's Vireo, Chipping Sparrow (on a nest with young), Pacific Slope Flycatcher, Lazuli Bunting, and Western Wood Pewee. I saw lots of Lesser and American Goldfinches, but none of the Lawrence's that I saw there on Memorial Day Weekend. I will be leading a trip to Hidden Falls with Sacramento Audubon next month, and hopefully we will see the Yellow Breasted Chats then as well.

      Ben Graber

      Sacramento