18719Re: [CVBirds] Chukar sighted in the American River parkway

  • Steve Hampton
    Jun 10, 2014
      Chukar are often released by local hunt clubs to shoot and some get away.  That's likely the case with this bird.

      On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 11:01 AM, stephen.a.fischer@... [central_valley_birds] <central_valley_birds-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Why cycling on the American River parkway bike trail I observed a Chukar just off the trail in the shade of a live oak tree today around 6:30am. I verified the distinctive pattern and shape at home with my Sibley's guide. I have seen these birds before, but only in southwest Utah. It has been very hot here in Sacramento (~105 F) the last few days. Perhaps conditions have been more conducive for the Chukar?

      The bird was seen east of the upper sunrise parking area about 1/2 mile, or just north on the trail where the more westerly Gold River neighborhood trail connects to the parkway.  Coordinates are: 38.635146, -121.250893

      Stephen Fischer
      Gold River

      --
      Steve Hampton