18251Incredible number of Blue-winged Teal at YBWA

  • shoppeco
    Jan 5, 2014
      Hello All,

      I had a good morning birding the Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area. By far the biggest highlight was an incredible 28 Blue-winged Teal together on and near a loafing island in the pond with the viewing platform, just west of Lot B. 28 represents the number I could see, there could very well have been more on the back side of the island. The island is on the south end of the pond, and was best viewed by walking south along the road from Lot B. I saw them at about 9:00 a.m. before making the loop. Unfortunately, after making the loop, I looked again and they were gone.
      Also of note in the area was a Prairie Falcon, in addition to the almost ever present Peregrine. Thousands of Tundra Swans, White-fronted and Snow Geese, with a smattering of Ross's, in the Bypass as well.

      Good Birding,

      Scott Hoppe
      Citrus Heights, CA
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic