      From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqvr@...>
      To: central_valley_birds@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: Central Valley Birding <central_valley_birds@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, January 5, 2014 12:58 AM
      Subject: Re: [CVBirds] Merced NWR CBC

      Laurie and I made it out to Merced today and spent about 4 hours, mostly with the goose flock.

      A few birds for count week in case they were missed (not seeing them in the summary): female common yellowthroat near the back observation deck; two hermit thrushes (one near the start of the tour, one out back near the deck); a white-throated sparrow (lifer. finally), and two tricolor blackbirds in a red-winged flock. Also ran into a small flock of brewer's blackbird. nice raptor: one swainson's hawk. Finally, a spotted sandpiper that photobombed a portrait session with a curlew.

      when we arrived a couple of birders reported a pair of bald eagles had made a couple of passes near the entrance area, but we never saw them. I had no swans, no larks, no pipits (hmm...) and missed the burrowing owls again (where ARE they hiding?).

      the white geese were 90%+ Ross's. Lots of immature birds. Found one blue morph snow goose in the flock, hanging out with about a dozen immature snow geese, but otherwise the snow geese were fairly rare in my samples. No banded geese today.

      Chuq Von Rospach
      Santa Clara, california
      On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 8:56 PM, Lawrence Parmeter <parmeter3@...> wrote:

           The annual Merced National Wildlife Refuge CBC was held today with over 20 people counting, and under beautifully clear skies. 115 species were seen altogether; the highlights were 9 Mountain Plovers, 4 Ferruginous Hawks, 1 Rough-legged Hawk, 1 Bald Eagle, 5 White-tailed Kites, 8 Great Horned Owls, 2 Burrowing Owls, 1 Am Bittern, 35,000+ Snow and Ross's Geese, 3,000+ White-front Geese, 2,000+ Sandhill Cranes, 3 Tundra Swans, and over 500 Horned Larks. Many thanks to all who participated.

      Larry Parmeter
      Fresno Audubon Society

      -- Chuq Von Rospach - Stories Told Here
      Santa Clara, California