      From: ERPFROMCA@...
      Sent: Jan 4, 2014 1:13 PM
      To: central_valley_birds@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [CVBirds] Lincoln CBC - one less species

      Some excellent photos taken by Phil Robertson revealed a few red feathers invading the black border around the throat of our Lincoln CBC Red-naped Sapsucker, indicating some Red-breasted Sapsucker genes in the mix. This is a frequent problem with winter sapsuckers in CA and any putative Red-napes (or Yellow-bellieds) should be carefully examined for signs of hybridization. Steve Shunk has an excellent review (published in Birding) of these issues (http://www.paradisebirding.com/Paradise%20Birding%20PDFs/steve%20shunk%20publications/Shunk%202005%20Sapsucker%20Hybrids.pdf).

      Ed Pandolfino
      Sacramento

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic