18238Lincoln CBC

  • erpfromca
    Jan 3, 2014

      Lincoln CBC Dec 30 2013

      This year we had 84 people in the field and, as with nearly all CBCs this season, they enjoyed great weather. Diversity was good (142 species, our second-highest total and only the second time we have broken 140 in the 12-year history of this count), but abundance was not (87,000 birds was well below our average of 112,000 and our third lowest total). Low numbers were mainly the result of low waterfowl and raptor numbers. The very dry conditions (almost NONE of the rice fields had water this year) may well explain the low waterfowl numbers and perhaps the low raptor numbers as well.

      Total numbers were below average for 60% of our regularly-occurring species and we set new lows for Ross's Goose, Northern Pintail, Northern Harrier, Common Gallinule, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Western Meadowlark (this count has recorded the largest number of any CBC for this species in 10 of our first 11 years), House Finch, and House Sparrow (no tears shed over that one...). In spite of the fair weather, we missed Tree Swallow and White-throated Swift, two birds we usually find on sunny days.

      Best birds were our first ever Red-naped Sapsucker and our second Northern Shrike. Other good finds included Eurasian Wigeon, Sandhill Crane, Western Sandpiper, Glaucous-winged Gull, Western Screech-Owl, Lewis's Woodpecker, Vesper Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, Purple Finch.

      We did set new highs for some species, including Canada Goose (ugh!), Canvasback, Bald Eagle (conservative estimate of 11 birds), Greater Yellowlegs, Barn Owl, Nuttall's Woodpecker, and Brown-headed Cowbird (double ugh!).

      Thanks to all who participated.

      Ed Pandolfino
      Sacramento

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic