18237Glenn, Colusa counties

  • John Luther
    Jan 2, 2014
      Hi All,

      I birded a few areas in Glenn and Colusa counties today, Jan 2.  First area was Sacramento Wildlife Refuge in Glenn.  As I was driving and birding along the west to east part of the auto tour loop I am sure that all of the other birders and wildlife lookers thought I was crazy as I was looking south (not north where all of the ducks and geese were) at the cattails and dry plants along the ditch, but it paid off when I found a Swamp Sparrow opposite the second large pond (which is on the north side of the road) before the viewing platform.  I also saw at least two river otters in the water there.  The only gulls I found were Herring and Ring-billed.  I then went to Stony Gorge Reservoir west of Willows and south off highway 162.  The Common Loon was still there along with mergansers and grebes, but I did not see a Red-necked Grebe or a Red-breasted Merganser.  I did see a female Barrow's Goldeneye with about 12 Common Goldeneye first north of the dam and then in front of and slightly south of the dam.

      In Colusa Co at East Park Reservoir east of Sonyford there were many fewer birds then what I saw there Dec 26.  I did not see the Barrow's Goldeneye or a Red-breasted Merganser.  In trees near Lodoga and Sites I found Red-breasted Sapsuckers, but unfortunately no other species of sapsucker.  On my drive through Colusa Wildlife Refuge I found six gulls as I drove the west to east southern part of the one way part of the auto tour loop.  They were all adults and all were flying over the ponds, levees and islands where all of the ducks and geese were.  One was a Glaucous-winged Gull and the other five were Herring Gulls.  It was a beautiful day in the valley and foothills.

      John Luther
      Oakland