      Eurasian Collared-Doves are well-known to breed year-round in temperate climates...likely one of the keys to their unprecedented rate of spread and stunning success.
      Ed Pandolfino
      Sacramento, CA
      In a message dated 1/2/2014 10:17:40 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, Michael.Perrone@... writes:

      Seeing Manfred Kutsch’s post, I will mention that we saw collared doves collecting nest material along Putah Creek, just downstream of the bridge in downtown Winters, on December 15, 2013, during the Putah Creek Christmas Count.  The nest tree was in Solano County. I was astonished by such an early date for nesting.

      Michael Perrone

      Department of Water Resources

      Division of Environmental Services

      3500 Industrial Blvd

      West Sacramento CA 95691

      (916) 376-9788

      From: central_valley_birds@yahoogroups.com [mailto:central_valley_birds@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Manfred Kusch
      Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 10:17 PM
      To: central_valley_birds@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [CVBirds] Fwd: [Solano-BBA] Nesting EA Collared Doves

      Sent from my iPad

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: Manfred Kusch <makusch@...>
      Date: December 31, 2013 7:06:36 PM PST
      To: solano-bba@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Solano-BBA] Nesting EA Collared Doves

      The dry and unseasonably warm weather seems to have persuaded at least one pair of Eurasian Collared Doves in my garden that it is time to start the nesting season. The male has been cooing vigorously from his favorite perch atop the power pole in front of our kitchen window for many days now and I observed the female collecting nesting material yesterday and today. She is assembling a nest on top of a horizontal fan of a California washingtonia palm, a precarious location also often chosen by our native Morning Doves (whose numbers have incidentally also increased these past few days). Surprisingly, most (but definitely not all) of these nests succeed. It will be interesting to see whether the doves will follow through with this early nesting attempt. In all the 26 years I have lived in this location no bird has ever shown nesting behavior this early. The first Anna's Hummingbird nests in February so far held the record.

      Manfred Kusch

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic