Happy Now

  • Tiffany
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11 6:26 PM
      I live in a big Christian community and with a christin family and feel alone and kind of the odd man out. There are no local covens around so I am very happy to have found you guys.
    • Stephanie N. Canada
      Message 2 of 3 , May 12 8:37 AM
        Hi Tiffany,

        In those circumstances, it sound to me as though reading is the way to go.  I generally recommend Scott Cunningham's "Wicca for the Solitary Practitioner" and Starhawk's "Spiral Dance" as good beginner books.

        But if you interested in combining Christian & Pagan concepts  (I'm not sure you do, just some suggestions here) you might look at "Lord of Creation" by Brendan O'Malley, "ChristoPaganism: An Inclusive Path" by Joyce Higginbotham and River Higginbotham, or "Pagans & Christians: The Personal Spiritual Experience" by Gus DiZerega.

        I've listed them in my personal order of preference.  The first book deals with the Celtic Pagan/Christian blending, the second is an overview of several approaches, and the final book is more scholarly, it's more about how the two groups see each other, and how to work on interfaith issues.

        I also highly recommend checking out the articles on www.WitchVox.org.

        I'd also be careful to hide any books and tools well, and clear the cache on your computer regularly so you don't get "outed" before you are ready.  And maybe creating a "magical name" to preserve your anonymity online?

        In Austin, Trinity United Methodist has a one of their worship services which is earthbound & Pagan, and First Unitarian Universalist Church in Austin has a very Pagan-friendly minister who includes many Pagan themes and elements into the worship services.

        Blessings,
        Stephanie
        www.austinuu.org/yewgrove

        Vivo ut bona faciam

        (I live that I may do good deeds)

        I live in a big Christian community and with a christin family and feel alone and kind of the odd man out. There are no local covens around so I am very happy to have found you guys.

      • Lora Negrito
        Message 3 of 3 , May 12 12:16 PM
          Tiffany, I often the feel "the odd man out" also. I have not yet come out of the closet. My husband is Catholic and even though he isn't practicing, he has definite Catholic feelings. He makes little sardonic comments about my "research" for my novel and how I am getting sucked into a cult. He has been extremely vigilant lately so I  haven't been able to attend the local meet-ups and stuff. I  hope to be able to soon. My family are Southern Baptist and Evangelical. They have no idea. They were not happy about me marrying a Catholic...I can only imagine what they would say when they finally find out.

          I have found the pagan community around here to be very friendly and very understanding. They have been patient with me as I try to find ways to be more involved and have only shown support and enthusiasm for my budding spiritualism. Welcome! And if you ever need an understanding "ear", I am here.
          Lora (Raen's Quest)