{virtualitalia.com} southern italy is in, columbus is out

  • pazzaglia
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2003
      VIRTUALITALIA.COM http://www.virtualitalia.com
      The resource for enthusiasts of Italy & Italian culture.

      NEW THIS MONTH -----------------------------------------------------

      STREET MARKETS: PALERMO'S TREASURES
      The frantic atmosphere and the smells and sounds that fill the air
      of Palermo's street markets are more reminiscent of the kasbahs of
      Morocco and Cairo than of modern Italy-- in fact, this is a relic
      of Sicily's Arab past.
      http://www.virtualitalia.com/travel/sicilia.shtml

      YOU'RE IN NAPLES, SNAP OUT OF IT!
      Like in the film "Moonstruck" Susan's childhood was full of first
      generation immigrants from southern Italy. That's why it was so
      refreshing for her to go to the source of the noisy passion she
      was weaned on: Naples, Italy.
      http://www.virtualitalia.com/travel/campania.shtml

      IF WALLS COULD TALK
      You may find pieces of the past, tucked somewhere in your home. Old
      letters, maps, clothing, diaries, shoes, hats, bottles, etc. are a
      few of the items that will tell you something about the previous
      owners.
      http://www.virtualitalia.com/gene/

      NEW YORK, SAN FRANCISCO, LOS ANGELES... OH MY!
      We really like to bring people together. Not just virtually, but in
      person, too! Check out the latest Italian-themed events in your local
      area. Our updated calendar makes it easy for you to search for events
      or add them to our calendar.
      *New York: http://www.virtualitalia.com/ny/
      *San Francisco: http://www.virtualitalia.com/sf/
      *Los Angeles: http://www.virtualitalia.com/la/

      ADD OUR FORUMS TO YOUR WEBSITE OR HOME PAGE!
      Webmasters and homepage authors can now display the top five, ten,
      or even more posts from the virtualitalia.com forums on their own
      website (as in the example, below). To get the three lines of code to
      paste on your web page and bring it to life, contact us!
      EXAMPLE: http://www.virtualitalia.com/sf/
      CONTACT US: http://virtualitalia.com/feedback/

      ADVERTISEMENT -----------------------------------------------------

      See your text advertisement here. There are about 10,000 enthusiasts
      of Italy and Italian culture reading this message right now!
      For more information, contact ads@...

      BOOK OF THE MONTH-------------------------------------------------

      LIVING LA DOLCE VITA: Bring the Passion, Laughter and Serenity of
      Italy into Your Daily Life
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1570719276/vi/
      I was very intrigued by this book. 'A self-help book based on the
      Italian lifestyle?!?' D'Agostino Mautner simmers down the secrets
      of Italian living to 9 principles and not only includes her own
      personal experiences but encourages the reader to experiment and
      try some things on their own. The author's professional background
      enables her express concepts about being Italian that Italians
      themselves have difficulty verbalizing. From the moment I opened
      this book I knew the author valued my time. Everything is
      carefully laid-out and the text is easily broken-up into
      categories, bulleted list and inspirational quotes. This means
      you can either hop directly to the section that intrigues you,
      or read the book from cover to cover. For me, reading this book
      was a little reminder of what makes being Italian special.

      Don't miss the excerpted introduction of this book hosted by us:
      http://www.virtualitalia.com/articles/living_la_dolce_vita.shtml

      INFO SHORTS -------------------------------------------------------

      CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS' HERO STATUS ON SHAKY GROUND
      Italian/American writers and performers will take
      to the stage to proclaim, "Dump Columbus, Long Live Sacco and
      Vanzetti," next week in San Francisco. The performance will
      celebrate Italian/American pride and the real heroes of
      Italian/American history, while denouncing the legacy of Columbus,
      a conquistador who sailed for Spain and has been credited with
      "discovering" America. What, in fact, Columbus discovered was a land
      already inhabited by many indigenous peoples, say "Dump Columbus"
      organizers. Tommi Avicolli Mecca, an organizer of the event,
      believes in ethnic pride but not pride focused on Columbus. "As a
      radical queer southern Italian/American activist, I don't identify at
      all with Columbus but rather with the legacy of such southern Italian
      radicals as Sacco and Vanzetti who stood up for the common man and
      struggled for justice for workers. They give me pride in being
      southern Italian American." A donation will be requested but no one
      will be turned away for lack of funds.
      For details on this event see:
      http://www.virtualitalia.com/temp/dump.htm

      ITALIAN WINES BRING 'QUAFFABILITY' TO THE TABLE
      Italians drink more wine per capita than any other group of people
      in the world, and one reason is the easy-drinking, affordable white
      wines there. While Americans, the Tennessean.com reports, continue
      to make chardonnay their favorite white wine, the most popular dry
      white in Italy is grown in the area around Soave, a town in the
      Veneto region east of Verona. They make their wine primarily from two
      grapes, trebbiano and garganega. Bolla has made its Soave wines
      popular around the world. Italian whites are not known for their
      sophistication but for their "quaffibility" (quality + affordability
      = quaffability) or easy-to-drink attribute because they are made to
      go with food.

      NEW REPORT: ITALIAN AMERICANS SCORE ABOVE NATIONAL AVERAGE
      "A Profile of Today's Italian Americans" is a report based on data
      and statistics from the U.S. Census Bureau's year 2000 census. It
      contains tables of statistics on the number and percentages of
      Italian Americans in all 50 states as well as the 50 cities and
      50 metropolitan areas with the most Italian Americans. According
      to the report, the average Italian American is 34 years old,
      married with one child, has a median annual income that is
      about $10,000 above the national average, more likely to have
      and advanced degree and white collar job according to a new
      report from the Order Sons of Italy in America (OSIA).
      The report includes a detailed demographic chart that compares
      Italian Americans to the total U.S. population with regard to
      marital status, divorce rate, education, employment and other
      demographics. OSIA is the largest and oldest national organization
      for men and women of Italian descent in the United States.
      Established in 1905, OSIA has more than 600,000 members and
      supporters and a network of more than 700 chapters coast to coast.
      View the full report here:
      http://www.osia.org/public/pdf/IA_Profile.pdf

      ITALIAN PROVERB --------------------------------------------------

      "I libri e gli amici devono essere pochi e ben preferiti."
      Books and friends should be few and well-chosen.

      LOCAL ITALIAN EVENTS ---------------------------------------------

      We've revived completely redesigned calendars of events. This new
      calendar allows you to submit events easily and us to review them
      quickly. If you belong to a club, or organization who has lots of
      regular events we can create an account for you -- having an account
      with the virtualitalia.com calendar will allow clubs to edit and
      update their own events. Contact us at
      events@...

      For a listing of events in the Los Angeles area, visit:
      http://www.virtualitalia.com/la/

      For a listing of events in the New York area, visit:
      http://www.virtualitalia.com/ny/

      For a listing of events in the San Francisco Bay Area, visit:
      http://www.virtualitalia.com/sf/

      You can play a role in educating the world about Italian culture.
      A contribution to virtualitalia.com - an all volunteer website
      will help us pay for the server-space and software enhancements!
      http://www.amazon.com/paypage/P1N3WQZ61Z9JI1

      Subscribe to our mailing list by sending an email to:
      virtualitalia-amici-subscribe@yahoogroups.com