[LGBT LATINO MEDIA]: Tijuana, Border Region Face AIDS Crisis ; MergeMedia Group Honored With Gold Marcom Creative Award for GLAAD PSA

  • Carlos Macias
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2006
      This is an update from GLAAD's LGBT Latino Media Activist list.
      Este es un avance noticioso de la lista LGBT Latina de GLAAD.
      DO NOT REPRODUCE WITHOUT CITING THIS SOURCE.

      NEWS:
      1. Tailandia: dejan de considerar a gays enfermos mentales
      2. Un miedo llamado SIDA
      3. Nuevo examen ciudadanía centrado en civismo
      4. Estrenan documental ŒPositivamente desnudo¹
      5. Tijuana, Border Region Face AIDS Crisis
      6. Despite funding cuts, HIV/AIDS task force is not giving up fight
      7. A disease's grim legacy
      8. Cipel Says Ex - Gov. McGreevey Is Not Gay
      9. S. Africa First to Legalize Gay Marriage
      10. Conservative Rabbis Reconsider Stance on Gay Sex

      UPDATES:
      1. UPDATE FROM LA GENTE UNIDA (November 2006)

      PRESS RELEASES:
      1. Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD):
      MergeMedia Group Honored With Gold Marcom Creative Award for GLAAD PSA
      2. Gay and Lesbian Medical Association:
      New Report: Meth Addiction Among Gay and Bisexual Men is Treatable
      3. Lambda Legal:
      Lambda Legal Urges State Department to Stop Discriminating Against People
      with HIV on World AIDS Day
      4. Human Rights Campaign:
      Third Annual World AIDS Day Report Card Continues to Give Failing Grades to
      U.S. Response
      5. American Civil Liberties Union:
      Maryland Psychologists, Social Workers, and Child Welfare Advocates Speak
      Out in Support of Marriage
      6. Gay and Lesbian Medical Association:
      Report: Meth Addiction Among Gay and Bisexual Men is Treatable

      Tailandia: dejan de considerar a gays enfermos mentales
      Associated Press
      BANGKOK - El ejército de Tailandia anunció el jueves que cesará de definir a
      homosexuales, travestis y transexuales como enfermos mentales, aunque
      insistió en que no son aptos para ser soldados.

      http://www.miami.com/mld/elnuevo/news/breaking_news/16132398.htm

      Un miedo llamado SIDA
      "La realidad es que la homofobia está presente y el sida no es un tema que
      impacta a los latinos porque se piensa que es un problema de homosexuales y
      que no le va a afectar a uno. Pero cuando en realidad se descubre ya es
      demasiado tarde por no hablar del sexo en la familia ni de cómo protegerse".

      http://www.laopinion.com/archivo/index.html?START=1&RESULTSTART=1&DISPLAYTYP
      E=single&FREETEXT=homosexual&FDATEd12=today&FDATEd13=&BOOLp00=&SORT_MODE=Rel
      evancia

      Nuevo examen ciudadanía centrado en civismo
      Nueva York ‹ En el examen de ciudadanía, ya no habrá que responder preguntas
      sobre los colores de la bandera.

      http://www.eldiariony.com/noticias/detail.aspx?section=60&desc=Nacionales&id
      =1535978

      Estrenan documental ŒPositivamente desnudo¹
      Nueva York/Especial para EDLP ‹ Conocido por sus monumentales y masivos
      desnudos, hace un par de años el fotógrafo estadounidense Spencer Tunick
      logró reunir a 85 personas en la Gran Manzana que viven con el virus del VIH
      para que posaran desnudos y así celebrar la supervivencia y el combate al
      estigma que todavía perdura entre la comunidad.

      http://www.eldiariony.com/noticias/detail.aspx?section=21&desc=Espect%c3%a1culos&
      id=1534244

      Tijuana, Border Region Face AIDS Crisis

      When you think of an AIDS epidemic, faraway places like Africa and Asia
      usually come to mind. But experts say Tijuana is teetering on the brink of
      an HIV/AIDS outbreak. Since the city shares the busiest border crossing in
      the world with San Diego County, infection rates on this side are spiking
      too. Full Focus reporter Amita Sharma has the story.

      http://www.kpbs.org/tv/programs/full_focus?id=6654

      Despite funding cuts, HIV/AIDS task force is not giving up fight

      Wendy Furnari¹s voice was audible, even if she was not visible, behind the
      mountain of boxes that filled her office at the corner of Amherst and Main
      streets two days before Thanksgiving.

      http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061201/NEWS01/21
      2010365/-1/home

      A disease's grim legacy
      25 years after AIDS was officially recognized as a disease, World AIDS Day
      will be observed around Chicago with events that show its deadly impact
      hasn't gone away

      By Charles Sheehan
      Tribune staff reporter
      Published December 1, 2006

      When Chuck Hyde started tending bar 25 years ago at a nightclub on Chicago's
      North Side, word began to arrive from California that a horrifying new
      disease was killing gay men by the scores

      http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/northwest/chi-0612010142dec01,1,326
      2993.story?coll=chi-newslocalnorthwest-hed

      Cipel Says Ex - Gov. McGreevey Is Not Gay

      Golan Cipel believes former N.J. Gov. Jim McGreevey's "gay American" speech
      was "part of the spin" and he urges the LGBT community to "not embrace
      McGreevey."

      Friday 12.01.06

      http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Gay-Governor-Cipel.html?_r=1&oref=slog
      in

      S. Africa First to Legalize Gay Marriage

      The Civil Union Act of South Africa is now in effect; LGBT groups are happy,
      but critical of provisions that allow clergy and marriage officers to turn
      away same-sex couples.

      Friday 12.01.06

      http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/world/AP-South-Africa-Gay-Marriages.html

      Conservative Rabbis Reconsider Stance on Gay Sex

      By Alan Cooperman

      A committee of conservative rabbis are meeting to consider five proposals of
      how to deal with LGBT people; two cite Lev. 18:22 while three consider
      opening the door for more acceptance.

      Friday 12.01.06

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/30/AR2006113001
      307.html

      UPDATE FROM LA GENTE UNIDA (November 2006)
      In this issue:

      (1) Exhibit on gay animals.

      (2) Three films on School of the Americas.

      (3) Harmony Chorale, GLBTS concert.

      (4) Latina Lesbian speaks out.

      (5) Poem about gay and lesbian unions.

      (6) Feedback to La Gente Unida.
      *************************
      This update is provided by La Gente Unida, Inc. lagenteunida@...

      P.O. Box 11714 Denver CO 80211 Voice mail: (303) 831-6086
      We are a nonprofit 501(c)(3) group whose purpose is to educate ourselves and
      the public about issues of concern to Latina lesbians and Latino gays. We
      are an all-volunteer group with no paid staff. We provide: speakers for
      classes and other public forums; periodic lobbying on legislation and ballot
      initiatives; newsletter and updates; and, a referal network about resources
      in the community. Submissions to our newsletter and updates must be received
      via email by the 20th of the month. Donations to us are tax deductible. Our
      board officers are: Melissa Munoz, Chairperson and Treasurer; and, Donaciano
      Martinez, Secretary. Newsletter founder: Timoteo Barajas.
      *************************
      (1) AN EXHIBIT ON GAY ANIMALS asserts that homosexuality has been observed
      among 1500 species, and that in 500 of those species it is well documented.
      Recently reported by the BBC News, the exhibit at the Oslo Natural History
      Museum in Norway is the first in the world to address the controversial
      topic and seeks to reject the popular argument that homosexuality is a crime
      against nature. The exhibit is entitled "Against Nature?" and features
      photographs of one male giraffe mounting another male giraffe, of apes
      stimulating others of the same sex, and two aroused male whales rubbing
      against each other. Scientists and zoologists connected to the exhibit note
      that sex between animals is often a matter of enjoyment, rather than
      procreation. They note that as many as one in 10 pairs of penguins may be
      same-sex, while among other animals (such as bonobo chimpanzees) the whole
      species is bisexual. Noting that homosexuality is a common phenomenon in the
      animal world, the exhibit points out that there are long-lasting
      partnerships in addition to short-lived sexual contacts.
      Also known in government circles as the "Western Hemisphere Institute for
      Security and Cooperation," SOA has been widely termed the "School of the
      Assassins" among people involved in movements for social change. Located at
      Fort Benning, Georgia, SOA is a long-time combat training school for Latin
      American soldiers. Over its 59 years, the SOA has trained over 60,000 Latin
      American soldiers in counterinsurgency techniques, sniper training, commando
      and psychological warfare, military intelligence and interrogation tactics.
      SOA graduates have consistently used their skills to wage a war against
      their own people. Among those targeted by SOA graduates are educators, union
      organizers, religious workers, student leaders, and others who work for the
      rights of the poor. Hundreds of thousands of Latin Americans have been
      tortured, raped, assassinated, massacred, and forced into exile by those
      trained by SOA.

      **
      (3) HARMONY CHORALE (HC) will perform a holiday concert at 8:00 p.m. on Fri.
      Dec. 8 and Sat. Dec. 9 at the United Church of Christ, 3250 East 6th Ave. in
      Denver, and a matinee performance at 2:00 p.m. on Sun. Dec. 10 at St. Paul's
      Methodist Church, 16th Ave. and Ogden in Denver. Called "A Taste of the
      Holidays," the concert wiill feature songs of Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah
      and more. One segment will feature a song in Spanish. Based in Denver since
      1991, the nonprofit HC is a mixed choral group of GLBT and Straight people.
      Tickets are $20.00 for the evening performances and $15.00 for the matinee
      performance. HC is always always looking for new members. In striving for
      racial and ethnic diversity within HC, they encourage Latinos, American
      Indians and African Americans to come sing with them. For information, call
      (303) 331-2667 or go to www.harmonychorale.org
      <http://www.harmonychorale.org/>
      *************************

      (4) A LATINA LESBIAN SPEAKS OUT on an experience she and her partner
      recently went through. Their ordeal underscores the need to vote yes on
      Referendum I, the ballot initiative to be decided by Colorado voters in
      November. A long-time member and former Board Chair of La Gente Unida,
      Alicia recently wrote: "Unfortunately, I was recently reminded why it is so
      important to pass domestic partnership benefits. Sometimes we get complacent
      with how things are and forget that we really do not have legal rights. My
      partner Tracey recently went to have a "routine" medical procedure in a
      clinic. It was supposed to be "routine" so we didn't plan ahead and bring
      our power of attorney document. We have not had any problems over the past
      ten years and did not think about it. When I noticed that spouses were being
      allowed to go into the recovery area sooner than others, I didn't worry too
      much about it until the routine one hour procedure became one and a half
      hours. I was told Tracey was not in recovery. I knew something was wrong. I
      realized that if an ambulance had to be called, I might not be allowed to go
      with her. I realized that they didn't have to give me any information. When
      I was finally allowed back there, no one talked to me about how she was
      doing. I noticed that when spouses went back there, the nurse would come
      talk to them almost immediately. I finally found out what went wrong
      (unexpected reaction to medication) when the nurse began talking to Tracey,
      not to me. The nurse never talked to me. I was treated as a "friend." After
      ten years, I should not have to remember a piece of paper every time we go
      anywhere just in case something goes wrong. The domestic partnership
      legislation on the ballot this November is important to many of us. Please
      remember to vote."
      *************************

      (5) A POEM ABOUT GAY AND LESBIAN UNIONS was recently written by Colorado
      poet Truman Harris. With the issue of same-sex partnerships to be decided by
      Colorado voters in November, the poem is quite fitting. Harris has the knack
      for the special writing style called iambic pentameter, and his poem on
      same-sex unions is written in that style, to wit:
      There is a love so intimate, so intricate,

      No words describe its overwhelming joys!

      A sensual intensity so rich,

      Its flowing rivers of pure pleasure run

      Across our flesh -- through our emotions/minds.

      These unions of we Gays and Lesbians,

      A tour de force outside/beyond mundane.
      *************************
      (6) FEEDBACK TO LA GENTE UNIDA includes the following from our readers:

      Donaciano, thank you for your warm and ongoing support of the Colorado
      Organization for Latina Opportunity and Reproductive rights (COLOR). We
      appreciate you including our events in your newsletters and updates. We are
      proud to have an ally as dynamic and distinguished as you. COLOR wishes you
      good health and much happiness. Con carino y en comunidad.

      -- Jacy Montoya, COLOR Executive Director (Denver, CO)

      I always look forward to your newsletters and the commentaries by Donaciano.
      While I do occasionally skim Out Front, I rarely read it. I find it to be
      primarily a bland soppy wet sorta newspaper. I sort of think of it as the
      last quarter of Westword newspaper with all the ads but no news except
      "safe" homosexual stories. I hope that some day Out Front will actually go
      out front and cover Gay news and maybe even Queer news. But then I also hope
      to win the lottery. As long as I can find it, I will keep on reading the
      Weird Sisters newspaper for serious stuff.

      -- William Watts (Denver CO)

      [Editor's note: As a long-time ally of La Gente Unida, Out Front always
      accepts articles submitted by La Gente Unida. Out Front welcomes
      submissions, so consider submitting an article of interest.]

      Please let Donaciano know how much Sharon and I appreciated meeting with
      him. It was very helpful to us as we work on making connections and working
      together with your community. We would like to offer your organization two
      tickets to our December concert. Once the tickets are printed, we will send
      them out to you.

      -- Bart Cox, Diversity Committee of Harmony Chorale (Denver, CO)

      Thanks for keeping my lesbian partner and me aware of the variety of social
      issues and community events that are featured in your newsletters and
      updates. Your newsletters are the ONLY place that we can learn about
      multiple issues (Latino, Chicano, peace, GLBT, etc.) all wrapped up
      together. We concur with your positions on Colorado ballot issues in the
      November election. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

      -- Monica Garcia (Pueblo, CO)
      I do not intend this to be rude in any way, but why is the GLBT list
      subscribed to other newsletters, especially ones not directly of a GLBT
      nature? I wouldn't mind a plug for this every once in a while, but I do not
      like being subscribed for lists I did not join, and I don't want to have to
      give up the primary content of the GLBT list in order to avoid political
      overload. I have no problem with your newsletter in and of itself; it is
      very well-written. I just consider it bad practice for newsletters or
      mailing lists to sign up for other newsletters, especially ones with a
      different basic topic. If I were to rephrase that as a request to you, it
      would be to ask that you not accept subscriptions for mailing lists or
      newsletters, especially those with different base themes, as it is likely to
      present a much less positive impression when your newsletter appears
      unexpectedly. Until I looked carefully, I thought it was spam, and, while
      you are not specifically at fault for this fact, it technically is. I am
      receiving mail from a sender that I did not request and cannot unsubscribe
      from, short of dropping a mailing list I did request. I would ask that you
      take this into account when you decide how to interact with other
      newsletters. A short plug every once in a while that shows evidence of
      having been written specifically to introduce your newsletter to readers of
      the other newsletters would be appropriate, even if it's the same one every
      time, but I don't think that subscribing an entire mailing list to another
      newsletter is at all appropriate.

      -- Quinn (Denver CO)

      [La Gente Unida thanks Quinn for the constructive criticism and thoughtful
      reply. Quinn makes many good points about groups that pass on our
      newsletters to their mailing lists. Quinn is not on our mailing list, but is
      receiving our newsletters via one of the list-serves of several Chicano,
      Latino, GLBT, Peace Movement, and other groups that do subscribe to our
      newsletter.]

      Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD):
      MergeMedia Group Honored With Gold Marcom Creative Award for GLAAD PSA

      http://www.glaad.org/media/release_detail.php?id=3941

      Friday 12.01.06

      MERGEMEDIA GROUP HONORED WITH GOLD MARCOM CREATIVE AWARD FOR GLAAD PSA

      November 30, 2006

      For more information, contact:
      Cooper Smith, 214-329-4477
      cooper@...

      DALLAS, November 28, 2006 ­ Dallas-based MergeMedia Group, LP, a leading
      marketing communications firm specializing in the gay, lesbian, bisexual,
      and transgender (GLBT) market, has been honored in the 2006 MarCom Creative
      Awards with a Gold Award in its public service announcement category.

      Gay and Lesbian Medical Association:
      New Report: Meth Addiction Among Gay and Bisexual Men is Treatable

      http://www.glma.org

      Thursday 11.30.06

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 30, 2006
      CONTACT: Joel Ginsberg | 415-255-4547 | jginsberg@...

      Report: Meth Addiction Among Gay and Bisexual Men is Treatable
      Findings Counter False Perceptions about Lack of Successful Treatments

      LAMBDA LEGAL NEWS RELEASE, November 30, 2006

      Contact: Jackie Yodashkin 212-809-8585 ext. 229; Cell: 917-620-4502

      Lambda Legal Urges State Department to Stop Discriminating Against People
      with HIV on World AIDS Day

      'The State Department is basing its blanket ban against applicants with HIV
      on outdated medical information and stereotypes about people with HIV.'

      Human Rights Campaign:
      Third Annual World AIDS Day Report Card Continues to Give Failing Grades to
      U.S. Response

      http://www.hrc.org

      Friday 12.01.06

      Luis Vizcaino | Phone: 202/216.1547 | Cell: 310/869.5700
      Brad Luna | Phone: 202/216.1514 | Cell: 202/812.8140

      25th Anniversary of the First Reported AIDS Case

      Third Annual World AIDS Day Report Card Continues to Give Failing Grades to
      U.S. Response

      "We are hopeful that with a new congressional leadership the failed policies
      of the past will not continue to be repeated," said Human Rights Campaign
      President Joe Solmonese.

      American Civil Liberties Union:
      Maryland Psychologists, Social Workers, and Child Welfare Advocates Speak
      Out in Support of Marriage

      http://www.aclu.org

      Friday 12.01.06

      Maryland Psychologists, Social Workers, and Child Welfare Advocates Speak
      Out in Support of Marriage for Same-Sex Couples

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      November 30, 2006

      Contact:
      Paul Cates, (212) 549-2568
      Cell, (917) 566-1294

      BALTIMORE - In advance of oral arguments before Maryland's high court,
      prominent Maryland psychologists, social workers, and child welfare
      advocates spoke out today in support of marriage for same-sex couples. At a
      press conference this morning at the Maryland chapter of the National
      Association of Social Workers, representatives of these groups stressed
      extensive, consistent scientific evidence showing that children raised by
      lesbian and gay couples develop as well as children raised by heterosexual
      couples.

      Gay and Lesbian Medical Association:
      Report: Meth Addiction Among Gay and Bisexual Men is Treatable

      http://www.glma.org

      Friday 12.01.06

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 30, 2006

      CONTACT: Joel Ginsberg | 415-255-4547 | jginsberg@...

      Report: Meth Addiction Among Gay and Bisexual Men is Treatable

      Findings Counter False Perceptions about Lack of Successful Treatments

      San Francisco ­ The Gay and Lesbian Medical Association today released a
      report that contradicts the widely held perception that addiction to crystal
      methamphetamine is essentially untreatable, a misunderstanding shared by
      some health professionals. The release of the report coincides with National
      Methamphetamine Awareness Day.

      Este avance le ha sido enviado por la lista LGBT Latina de GLAAD. Para dejar
      de recibir los avances, corresponda este correo con la palabra "remover."