7 March

  • ambrós
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 5, 2002
      Celtic and Old English Saints 7 March

      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      * St. Deifer of Bodfari
      * St. Enodoch
      * St. Esterwine of Wearmouth
      * Ss. Kynesburga, Kyneswide and Tibba of Castor
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

      St. Deifer of Bodfari, Abbot
      6th century. A Welsh saint, Deifer was both abbot and founder of
      Bodfari in Flintshire (Benedictines).

      Troparion of St Deifer Tone 6
      Desiring to serve God in monastic solitude,/ thou didst establish
      thyself at Bodfari, O Father Deifer,/ where attracted by thy piety,/
      many were drawn to embrace the life of ascetic poverty./ May thine
      example be ever before us/ that we lose not our vision of eternal
      blessedness.

      Kontakion of St Deifer Tone 2
      The tawdry worthlessness of our indiscipline/ contrasts starkly with the
      heights of thy virtue, O Father Deifer,/ therefore we earnestly entreat
      thee to pray for us,/ that amending our lives/ we may more worthily
      worship Christ our God and Saviour.

      St. Enodoch (Wenedoc)
      Died c. 520. Enodoch was a Welsh saint of the Brychan race. Some
      writers identify him with St. Enoder (f.d. April 27), others state that
      she was a daughter--instead of a son--of Brychan and call her St.
      Qwendydd. The traditions are very confused (Benedictines).

      St. Esterwine (Easterwine) of Wearmouth, Abbot
      Died 688. The noble Northumbrian Esterwine, spent his youth at court,
      and then entered the monastery of Wearmouth, where he was professed
      under his kinsman St. Benedict Biscop (f.d. January 12). He succeeded
      St. Benet as abbot of Wearmouth and ruled four years, dying before its
      founder. He was celebrated for his gentleness
      (Benedictines, Gill).

      Ss. Kynesburga, Kyneswide and Tibba of Castor

      Died c.680. Also commemorated 5th March.

      Penda, King of Mercia, was the most stalwart enemy of the church all his
      life but it appears that all of his children became devout Christians
      and were instrumental in bringing many people to the Faith. Kyneburga
      his elder daughter was married to King Oswy of Northumbria, Aelfrith,
      who was patron of Sr. Wilfrid in his early years. She seemed to have
      lived with her husband in a brother and sister relationship so that it
      was said that their home was like a monastery. After a number of years,
      in 650 they both decided to retire from their royal estate as they held
      worldly position in contempt, "mundo contempto" as the Chronicle puts
      it. Aelfrith died soon after entering a monastery but Kyneburga starting
      to build a convent on the site of an old Roman settlement presented to
      her by her brothers and called Dormancaster on the river Neve.

      Kyneburga was soon joined by a large number of ladies, "multis congratis
      virginibus", and among these were her sister Kyneswide and her kinswoman
      Tibba. Kyneswide, the youngest of King Penda's daughters, vowed herself
      to a life of virginity from a very early age but this did not prevent
      her brother Wulfhere arranging a political marriage for her to Offa King
      of the East Saxons. When the time came for the wedding the princess
      commended her cause to Our Lady St Mary and set about convincing Offa of
      the excellence of a life totally dedicated to God. She was so successful
      that Offa resigned his Kingdom and went, in company with St. Egwin, on
      pilgrimage to Rome where he died as a monk. This left Kyneswide free to
      embrace the religious life at Dormancaster and to succeed her sister as
      Abbess when Kyneburga died in about 680.

      The village of Castor as it is now called is built over the remains of a
      large Roman villa which had been deserted around 450 and in which St.
      Kyneburga had erected her nunnery two hundred years later. In Roman
      times Castor had an international reputation for producing fine pottery
      and traces of this industry can be found in Normangate Field where a
      ridge is locally known as Lady Conneyburrow's Way, obviously a relic of
      the days of the Convent. The present fine church is dedicated to St.
      Kyneburga and although mainly Norman there is a tympanum from the Saxon
      church over the south porch and a carved stone in the south wall
      believed to be part of the original Saxon shrine, which was in the North
      aisle and where a chapel has been restored and dedicated to S.
      Kyneswide. The bodies of the Saints were translated to Peterborough
      early in the eleventh century and the Feast of the Translation was kept
      with great solemnity on March 6th or 7th. The Anglo Saxon Chronicle
      record that when the Abbey was founded by King Peada his sisters
      Kyneburga and Kyneswide were associated with him and there is a chapel
      in the South transcept of the Cathedral dedicated to them (Stanton,
      Cartwright, Darnell & Wild).

      Sources:
      ========

      Cartwright, J.L. Peterborough Cathedral"

      Benedictine Monks of St. Augustine Abbey, Ramsgate.
      (1947). The Book of Saints. NY: Macmillan.

      Benedictine Monks of St. Augustine Abbey, Ramsgate.
      (1966). The Book of Saints. NY: Thomas Y. Crowell.

      Bowen, Paul. When We Were One: A Yearbook of the
      Saints of the British Isles Complied from Ancient Calendars.

      Gill, F. C. (1958). The Glorious Company: Lives of Great
      Christians for Daily Devotion, vol. I. London:
      Epworth Press.

      Stanton, Richard. A Menology of England and Wales.

      Wild, J.P. & Darnell, G.B. Castor Church.

      For All the Saints:
      http://users.erols.com/saintpat/ss/ss-index.htm

      Celtic Orthodox Christianity Home Page
      http://www.nireland.com/orthodox/celtic.htm

      These Lives are archived at:
      http://www.egroups.com/group/celt-saints/
    • ambrós
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 5, 2003
[...]

        http://www.orthodoxireland.com/celtic.htm

        These Lives are archived at:
      • emrys@globe.net.nz
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 5, 2004
[...]

          http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/ss-index.htm

          Orthodox Ireland Saints
          http://www.orthodoxireland.com/saints/

          An Alphabetical Index of the Saints of the West
          http://www.orthodoxengland.btinternet.co.uk/saintsa.htm

          These Lives are archived at:
        • emrys@globe.net.nz

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 6, 2006
[...]

              ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
            • emrys@globe.net.nz

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 6, 2010

                    • ambrois@xtra.co.nz

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 6, 2013
[...]

                            For All the Saints: - new active link
                            http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/saint_a.shtml

                            An Alphabetical Index of the Saints of the West - new active link
                            http://orthodoxengland.org.uk/saintsa.htm

                            These Lives are archived at: