27 April

  • ambrois@xtra.co.nz
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 26, 2013
      Celtic and Old English Saints 27 April

      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      * St. Assic of Elphin
      * St. Enoder of Wales
      * St. Winebald of Beverley
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

      St. Assic of Elphin, Bishop
      (also known as Asic, Assicus, Tassach)

      Died c. 490. Bishop and Patron of Elphin, in Ireland, one of St.
      Patrick's converts, and his worker in iron.

      In the "Tripartite Life of St Patrick" (ed. Whitley Stokes) we read:

      "Bishop St Assic was Patrick's coppersmith, and made altars and square
      bookcases. Besides, he made our saint's patens in honour of Bishop
      Patrick, and of them I have seen three square patens, that is, a paten
      in the Church of Patrick in Armagh, and another in the Church of Elphin,
      and a third in the great-church of Donough-patrick (at Carns near
      Tulsk)."

      Asicus was a coppersmith and was married when he first met St. Patrick.
      In time he was made the first abbot-bishop of Elphim Monastery in
      Roscommon, Ireland. Humble and not believing he was worthy of the
      office, Asicus went to an island in Donegal Bay, where he resigned his
      rank and became a hermit. After seven years the monks of Elphin found
      him and persuaded him to return to the monastery. He died at Raith
      Cungilor on the return journey.

      St. Assicus was a most expert metal worker, and was also renowned as a
      bellfounder. Some remarkable specimens of his handicraft are extant.
      There is confusion between this saint and Tassach (April 14), which
      suggests that they may be the same person. They were both skilled metal
      workers, their names are similar, and they died the same year.

      Of his last days the following graphic description is given by
      Archbishop Healy:

      "Assicus himself in shame because of a lie told either by him, or, as
      others say, of him, fled into Donegal, and for seven years abode in the
      island of Rathlin O'Birne. Then his monks sought him out, and after much
      labour found him in the mountain glens, and tried to bring him home to
      his own monastery at Elphin. But he fell sick by the way and died with
      them in the wilderness. So they buried the venerable old man in the
      churchyard of Rath Cunga, now Racoon, in the Barony of Tirhugh, County
      Donegal. The old churchyard is there still, though now disused, on the
      summit of a round hillock close to the left of the road from
      Ballyshannon to Donegal, about a mile to the south of the village of
      Ballintra. We sought in vain for any trace of an inscribed stone in the
      old churchyard. He fled from men during life, and, like Moses, his grave
      is hidden from them in death."

      His feast is celebrated 27 April, as is recorded in the "Martyrology of
      Tallaght" under that date.

      Troparion of St Asic Tone 4
      Thou didst glorify God both by preaching the Word and by thy
      coppersmith's skill,/ O glorious Father Asic./ Thou wast abbot and
      bishop and didst die a hermit./ Pray to Christ our God that we may find
      grace/ to devote our gifts and skills to His service.

      St. Enoder (Cynidr, Keneder, Quidic), Abbot
      6th century. Saint Enoder is said to be one of the grandsons of the
      prolific Welsh chieftain, Brychan. He may be identical to Saint Enodoch.
      Enoder's memory is perpetuated by Llangynidr in Brecknockshire, and
      possibly St. Enoder or Enodoc in Cornwall (Benedictines).

      St. Winebald (Winewald) of Beverley, Abbot
      Died c. 731. Saint Winebald succeeded Saint Bercthun (f.d. September 24)
      as abbot of Beverley (Benedictines).

      Sources:
      ========

      Benedictine Monks of St. Augustine Abbey, Ramsgate.
      (1947). The Book of Saints. NY: Macmillan.

      Montague, H. P. (1981). The saints and martyrs of Ireland.
      Guildford: Billing & Sons.

      These Lives are archived at: