Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

23 January

Expand Messages
  • ambrois@xtra.co.nz
    Celtic and Old English Saints 23 January =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= * St. Colman of Lismore * St. Maimbod
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 22, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      Celtic and Old English Saints 23 January

      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      * St. Colman of Lismore
      * St. Maimbod
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=


      St. Colman of Lismore, Bishop
      --------------------------------------------------
      Died c. 702. Saint Colman succeeded Saint Hierlug (Zailug) as
      abbot-bishop of Lismore in 698. During his rule the fame of Lismore
      reached its peak (Benedictines).

      The Monastery of Lismore

      As the School of Armagh in the North of Ireland, and that of
      Clonmacnoise in the centre, so the School of Lismore was the most
      celebrated in the South of Ireland. It was founded in the year 635 by
      St. Carthach the Younger, in a most picturesque site, steeply rising
      from the southern bank of the Blackwater. Its founder had spent nearly
      forty years of his monastic life in the monastery of Rahan on the
      southern borders of ancient Meath, in what is now King's County. He
      dearly loved that monastery which he had founded and which he fondly
      hoped would be the place of his resurrection; but the men of Meath -
      clerics and chieftains - grew jealous of the great monastery founded in
      their territory by a stranger from Munster, and they persuaded Prince
      Blathmac, son of Aedh Slaine, of the southern Hy Mall, to expel the
      venerable old man from the monastic home which he loved so well. The
      eviction is described by the Irish annalists as most unjust and cruel,
      yet, under God's guidance, it led to the foundation of Lismore on the
      beautiful margin of what was then called Avonmore, "the great river", a
      site granted to St. Carthach by the prince of the Desii of Waterford.

      Lismore was founded in 635; and the founder survived only two years, for
      he died in 637, but Providence blessed his work, and his monastery grew
      to be the greatest centre of learning and piety in all the South of
      Erin. The "Rule of St. Carthach" is the most notable literary monument
      which the founder left behind him. It is fortunately still extant in the
      ancient Gaelic verse in which it was written. It consists of 185
      four-lined stanzas, which have been translated by O'Curry - who has no
      doubt of its authenticity - and is beyond doubt one of the most
      interesting and important documents of the early Irish Church.

      The Rule of Saint Carthage can be found in "The Celtic Monk: Rules &
      Writings of Early Irish Monks" Uinseann O'Maidin OCR, pub. Cistercian
      Studies Series Number 162, 1996. ISBN: 0879076623 (pb) and 0879075627
      (hb).

      But Lismore produced a still more famous saint and scholar, the great
      St. Cathaldus of Tarentum. His Irish name was Cathal, and it appears he
      was born at a place called Rathan, not far from Lismore. Our Irish
      annals tell us nothing of St. Cathaldus, because he went abroad early in
      life, but the brothers Morini of his adopted home give us many
      particulars. They tell us he was a native of Hibernia - born at Rathan
      in Momonia - that he studied at Lismore, and became bishop of his native
      territory of Rathan, but that afterwards, inspired by the love of
      missionary enterprise, he made his way to Jerusalem, and on his return
      was, with his companions, wrecked at Tarentum - the "beautiful
      Tarentum" - at the heel of Italy. Its pleasure-loving inhabitants,
      forgetting the Gospel preached to them by St. Peter and St. Mark, had
      become practically pagans when Cathaldus and his companions were cast
      upon their shores. Seeing the city given up to vice and sensuality, the
      Irish prelate preached with great fervour, and wrought many miracles, so
      that the Tarentines gave up their sinful ways, and from that day to this
      have recognised the Irish Cathaldus as their patron saint, and greatly
      venerate his tomb, which was found intact in the cathedral as far back
      as the year 1110, with his name "Cathaldus Rachan" inscribed upon a
      cross therein. Another distinguished scholar of Lismore, and probably
      its second abbot, was St. Cuanna, most likely the half-brother and
      successor of the founder. He was born at Kilcoonagh, or Killcooney, a
      parish near Headford in the County Galway which takes its name from him.
      No doubt he went to Lismore on account of his close connection with St.
      Carthach, and for the same reason was chosen to succeed him in the
      school of Lismore. Colgan thought that the ancient but now lost "Book of
      Cuanach", cited in the "Annals of Ulster", but not later than A.D. 628,
      was the work of this St. Cuanna of Kilcooney and Lismore. It is also
      said that Aldfrid, King of Northumbria, spent some time at the school of
      Lismore, for he visited most of the famous schools of Erin towards the
      close of the seventh century, and at that time Lismore was one of the
      most celebrated. It was a place of pilgrimage also, and many Irish
      princes gave up the sceptre and returned to Lismore to end their lives
      in prayer and penance. There, too, by his own desire, was interred St.
      Celsus of Armagh, who died at Ardpatrick, but directed that he should be
      buried in Lismore - but we have sought in vain for any trace of his
      monument.

      Two interesting memorials of Lismore are fortunately still preserved.
      The first is the crosier of Lismore, found accidentally in Lismore
      Castle in the year 1814. The inscription tells us that it was made for
      Niall Mac Mic Aeducan, Bishop of Lismore, 1090-1113, by Neclan the
      artist. This refers to the making of the case or shrine, which enclosed
      an old oak stick, the original crosier of the founder. Most of the
      ornaments are richly gilt, interspersed with others of silver and
      niello, and bosses of coloured enamels. You can see the crosier here:
      http://www.discoverlismore.com/images/lismorecrozier.jpg


      The second is the "Book of Lismore" found in the castle at the same time
      with the crosier, enclosed in a wooden box in a built-up doorway. The
      castle was built as long ago as 1185 by Prince John. Afterwards the
      bishops of Lismore came to live there, and no doubt both crosier and
      book belonged to the bishops and were hidden for security in troublesome
      times. The Book of Lismore contains a very valuable series of the lives
      of our Irish saints, written in the finest medieval Irish. It was in
      1890 admirably translated into English by Dr. Whitley Stokes. One of the
      Saints' Lives (paraphrased), Saint Fanahan of Brigown, may be read here
      http://incolor.inetnebr.com/jskean/Fanahan.htm


      St. Maimbod, Martyr
      --------------------------------------------------
      Died January 23, c. 880. Saint Maimbod was a martyr who went to Alsace
      from Ireland as a missionary. Maimbod was a pilgrim to the tombs of many
      saints, as he wandered he spread the faith throughout northern Italy and
      Gaul. In Burgundy a nobleman gave him hospitality and unsuccessfully
      pressed him to settle there. Upon Maimbod's departure, the nobleman gave
      Maimbod a pair of gloves as a reminder to pray for him. He was praying
      at the church of Domnipetra near Katlenbrunn eight
      miles from Besancon, when he was set upon by some robbers who believed
      he had money because he was wearing gloves. When miracles began to occur
      at his tomb in Domnipetra, Count Aszo of Monteliard asked the blind
      Bishop Berengarius for a gift of the saint's relics. Berengarius
      delegated the translation ceremony to his coadjutor, Bishop Stephen.
      During the rite, Berengarius miraculously received his sight and
      instituted a feast in honour of the saint. Maimbod's relics were
      destroyed in the 16th century (Attwater2, Benedictines, Coulson, D'Arcy,
      Encyclopaedia, Fitzpatrick, O'Hanlon, O'Kelly).

      Sources:
      ======

      Attwater, D. (1983). The Penguin Dictionary of Saints,
      2nd edition, revised and updated by Catherine Rachel John.
      New York: Penguin Books.

      Benedictine Monks of St. Augustine Abbey, Ramsgate. (1966).
      The Book of Saints, NY, Thomas Y. Crowell.

      Coulson, J. (ed.). (1960). The Saints: A Concise Biographical
      Dictionary. New York: Hawthorn Books.

      D'Arcy, M. R. (1974). The Saints of Ireland. Saint Paul,
      Minnesota: Irish American Cultural Institute. [This is probably
      the most useful book to choose to own on the Irish saints.
      The author provides a great deal of historical context in which
      to place the lives of the saints.]

      Fitzpatrick, B. (1927). Ireland and the Foundations of Europe.
      New York: Funk & Wagnalls.

      O'Hanlon, J. (1875). Lives of Irish Saints, 10 vol. Dublin.

      O'Kelly, J. J. (1952). Ireland's Spiritual Empire. Dublin: M. H. Gill.

      For All the Saints:
      http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/saint_a.shtml

      An Alphabetical Index of the Saints of the West
      http://orthodoxengland.org.uk/saintsa.htm

      These Lives are archived at:
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints
      ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
    • ambrois@xtra.co.nz
      Celtic and Old English Saints 23 January =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= * St. Colman of Lismore * St. Maimbod
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 23, 2014
      • 0 Attachment
        Celtic and Old English Saints 23 January

        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
        * St. Colman of Lismore
        * St. Maimbod
        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=


        St. Colman of Lismore, Bishop
        --------------------------------------------------
        Died c. 702. Saint Colman succeeded Saint Hierlug (Zailug) as
        abbot-bishop of Lismore in 698. During his rule the fame of Lismore
        reached its peak (Benedictines).

        The Monastery of Lismore

        As the School of Armagh in the North of Ireland, and that of
        Clonmacnoise in the centre, so the School of Lismore was the most
        celebrated in the South of Ireland. It was founded in the year 635 by
        St. Carthach the Younger, in a most picturesque site, steeply rising
        from the southern bank of the Blackwater. Its founder had spent nearly
        forty years of his monastic life in the monastery of Rahan on the
        southern borders of ancient Meath, in what is now King's County. He
        dearly loved that monastery which he had founded and which he fondly
        hoped would be the place of his resurrection; but the men of Meath -
        clerics and chieftains - grew jealous of the great monastery founded in
        their territory by a stranger from Munster, and they persuaded Prince
        Blathmac, son of Aedh Slaine, of the southern Hy Mall, to expel the
        venerable old man from the monastic home which he loved so well. The
        eviction is described by the Irish annalists as most unjust and cruel,
        yet, under God's guidance, it led to the foundation of Lismore on the
        beautiful margin of what was then called Avonmore, "the great river", a
        site granted to St. Carthach by the prince of the Desii of Waterford.

        Lismore was founded in 635; and the founder survived only two years, for
        he died in 637, but Providence blessed his work, and his monastery grew
        to be the greatest centre of learning and piety in all the South of
        Erin. The "Rule of St. Carthach" is the most notable literary monument
        which the founder left behind him. It is fortunately still extant in the
        ancient Gaelic verse in which it was written. It consists of 185
        four-lined stanzas, which have been translated by O'Curry - who has no
        doubt of its authenticity - and is beyond doubt one of the most
        interesting and important documents of the early Irish Church.

        The Rule of Saint Carthage can be found in "The Celtic Monk: Rules &
        Writings of Early Irish Monks" Uinseann O'Maidin OCR, pub. Cistercian
        Studies Series Number 162, 1996. ISBN: 0879076623 (pb) and 0879075627
        (hb).

        But Lismore produced a still more famous saint and scholar, the great
        St. Cathaldus of Tarentum. His Irish name was Cathal, and it appears he
        was born at a place called Rathan, not far from Lismore. Our Irish
        annals tell us nothing of St. Cathaldus, because he went abroad early in
        life, but the brothers Morini of his adopted home give us many
        particulars. They tell us he was a native of Hibernia - born at Rathan
        in Momonia - that he studied at Lismore, and became bishop of his native
        territory of Rathan, but that afterwards, inspired by the love of
        missionary enterprise, he made his way to Jerusalem, and on his return
        was, with his companions, wrecked at Tarentum - the "beautiful
        Tarentum" - at the heel of Italy. Its pleasure-loving inhabitants,
        forgetting the Gospel preached to them by St. Peter and St. Mark, had
        become practically pagans when Cathaldus and his companions were cast
        upon their shores. Seeing the city given up to vice and sensuality, the
        Irish prelate preached with great fervour, and wrought many miracles, so
        that the Tarentines gave up their sinful ways, and from that day to this
        have recognised the Irish Cathaldus as their patron saint, and greatly
        venerate his tomb, which was found intact in the cathedral as far back
        as the year 1110, with his name "Cathaldus Rachan" inscribed upon a
        cross therein. Another distinguished scholar of Lismore, and probably
        its second abbot, was St. Cuanna, most likely the half-brother and
        successor of the founder. He was born at Kilcoonagh, or Killcooney, a
        parish near Headford in the County Galway which takes its name from him.
        No doubt he went to Lismore on account of his close connection with St.
        Carthach, and for the same reason was chosen to succeed him in the
        school of Lismore. Colgan thought that the ancient but now lost "Book of
        Cuanach", cited in the "Annals of Ulster", but not later than A.D. 628,
        was the work of this St. Cuanna of Kilcooney and Lismore. It is also
        said that Aldfrid, King of Northumbria, spent some time at the school of
        Lismore, for he visited most of the famous schools of Erin towards the
        close of the seventh century, and at that time Lismore was one of the
        most celebrated. It was a place of pilgrimage also, and many Irish
        princes gave up the sceptre and returned to Lismore to end their lives
        in prayer and penance. There, too, by his own desire, was interred St.
        Celsus of Armagh, who died at Ardpatrick, but directed that he should be
        buried in Lismore - but we have sought in vain for any trace of his
        monument.

        Two interesting memorials of Lismore are fortunately still preserved.
        The first is the crosier of Lismore, found accidentally in Lismore
        Castle in the year 1814. The inscription tells us that it was made for
        Niall Mac Mic Aeducan, Bishop of Lismore, 1090-1113, by Neclan the
        artist. This refers to the making of the case or shrine, which enclosed
        an old oak stick, the original crosier of the founder. Most of the
        ornaments are richly gilt, interspersed with others of silver and
        niello, and bosses of coloured enamels. You can see the crosier here:
        http://www.discoverlismore.com/images/lismorecrozier.jpg


        The second is the "Book of Lismore" found in the castle at the same time
        with the crosier, enclosed in a wooden box in a built-up doorway. The
        castle was built as long ago as 1185 by Prince John. Afterwards the
        bishops of Lismore came to live there, and no doubt both crosier and
        book belonged to the bishops and were hidden for security in troublesome
        times. The Book of Lismore contains a very valuable series of the lives
        of our Irish saints, written in the finest medieval Irish. It was in
        1890 admirably translated into English by Dr. Whitley Stokes. One of the
        Saints' Lives (paraphrased), Saint Fanahan of Brigown, may be read here
        http://incolor.inetnebr.com/jskean/Fanahan.htm


        St. Maimbod, Martyr
        --------------------------------------------------
        Died January 23, c. 880. Saint Maimbod was a martyr who went to Alsace
        from Ireland as a missionary. Maimbod was a pilgrim to the tombs of many
        saints, as he wandered he spread the faith throughout northern Italy and
        Gaul. In Burgundy a nobleman gave him hospitality and unsuccessfully
        pressed him to settle there. Upon Maimbod's departure, the nobleman gave
        Maimbod a pair of gloves as a reminder to pray for him. He was praying
        at the church of Domnipetra near Katlenbrunn eight
        miles from Besancon, when he was set upon by some robbers who believed
        he had money because he was wearing gloves. When miracles began to occur
        at his tomb in Domnipetra, Count Aszo of Monteliard asked the blind
        Bishop Berengarius for a gift of the saint's relics. Berengarius
        delegated the translation ceremony to his coadjutor, Bishop Stephen.
        During the rite, Berengarius miraculously received his sight and
        instituted a feast in honour of the saint. Maimbod's relics were
        destroyed in the 16th century (Attwater2, Benedictines, Coulson, D'Arcy,
        Encyclopaedia, Fitzpatrick, O'Hanlon, O'Kelly).

        Sources:
        ======

        Attwater, D. (1983). The Penguin Dictionary of Saints,
        2nd edition, revised and updated by Catherine Rachel John.
        New York: Penguin Books.

        Benedictine Monks of St. Augustine Abbey, Ramsgate. (1966).
        The Book of Saints, NY, Thomas Y. Crowell.

        Coulson, J. (ed.). (1960). The Saints: A Concise Biographical
        Dictionary. New York: Hawthorn Books.

        D'Arcy, M. R. (1974). The Saints of Ireland. Saint Paul,
        Minnesota: Irish American Cultural Institute. [This is probably
        the most useful book to choose to own on the Irish saints.
        The author provides a great deal of historical context in which
        to place the lives of the saints.]

        Fitzpatrick, B. (1927). Ireland and the Foundations of Europe.
        New York: Funk & Wagnalls.

        O'Hanlon, J. (1875). Lives of Irish Saints, 10 vol. Dublin.

        O'Kelly, J. J. (1952). Ireland's Spiritual Empire. Dublin: M. H. Gill.


        These Lives are archived at:
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints
        ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.