12 January

  • ambrois@xtra.co.nz
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 11, 2013
      Celtic and Old English Saints 12 January

      * St. Alan ab Erbin of Cornwall
      * St. Benedict Biscop
      * 38 Monks Martyred at Iona

      St. Alan ab Erbin, Confessor in Cornwall
      He was King of Cornwall, son of Cystennin Gorneau (Constantine the
      Cornishman), brother of St. Digain founder of Llangernywn, Denbighshire,
      father of Geraint who succeeded him. Two other sons Dywel and Erinid are
      mentioned as warriors at King Arthur's court.

      He has one church dedicated to him in Wales, that of Erbistock (Erbin's
      Stock or Stockdale). It is situated partly in Denbighshire and partly in
      Flintshire. The vale below the Church is called the Vale of Erbine. He
      was possibly founder of St. Ervan's church in Cornwall.

      A number of early Welsh Calendars give his feast as being January 13 or
      May 29. No dates are given for his Birth or Repose. [ "Lives of the
      British Saints" by Sabine Baring-Gould. ]

      St. Benedict Biscop, Bishop and Abbot of Wearmouth,
      who introduced glass windows to England
      and raised Saint Bede
      (also known as Benet Biscop, Biscop Baducing)

      Born in Northumbria, England, c. 628; died at Wearmouth, England, on
      January 12, c. 690.

      Born of the highest Anglo-Saxon nobility, Biscop Baducing held office in
      the household of King Oswy (Oswiu) of Northumbria. But, after a journey
      to Rome when his was 25 (653) in the company of Saint Wilfrid, the saint
      renounced his inheritance and dedicated himself to God. He then spent
      his time in studying the Scriptures and prayer.

      Following a second visit to Rome with Oswy's son Aldfrith in 666, he
      became a monk in the monastery of Saint-Honorat in Lerins near Cannes,
      France, taking the name Benedict. He remained there for two years
      strictly observing the rule.

      His third pilgrimage to Rome in 669, coincided with the visit of
      Archbishop-elect Wighard of Canterbury, who died there prior to his
      consecration. Saint Theodore was finally selected to replace Wighard as
      archbishop of Canterbury, and Pope Saint Vitalian ordered Benedict to
      accompany Theodore and Saint Adrian to England as a missionary, which he
      did in obedience. Theodore appointed Benedict abbot of SS. Peter and
      Paul (now St. Augustine's) monastery in Canterbury, where he remained
      for two years before returning to Northumbria. (He was succeeded as
      abbot by Saint Adrian, who held this position for 39 years.)

      Thereafter, Saint Benedict travelled to and fro between Britain and Rome
      (beginning in 671), returning always with books and relics, and bringing
      back with him also craftsmen to build and enrich the churches of
      Britain. This fourth journey was made with the view of perfecting
      himself in the rules and practice of a monastic life, so he stayed a
      while in Rome and visited other monasteries.

      In 674, he was granted 70 hides of land by Oswy's son, Egfrid, at the
      mouth of the river Wear (Wearmouth), where he built a great stone church
      and monastery dedicated to Saint Peter. He was the first to introduce
      glass into England, which he brought from France along with stone and
      other materials. His foreign masons, glaziers, and carpenters taught
      their skill to the Anglo-Saxons. He spared no trouble or effort in
      seeking far and wide for all that would richly embellish his Romanesque
      church.

      >From his trip to Rome in 679, Benedict brought back Abbot John of Saint
      Martin's, the precentor (archcantor) from Saint Peter's. This was a
      result of Benedict persuading Pope Saint Agatho that Abbot John would be
      able to instruct the English monks, so that the music and ceremonies at
      Wearmouth might follow exactly the Roman pattern. Upon his return to
      England, he held training classes in the use and practice of church
      music, liturgy, and chants. (John also taught the English monks uncial
      script and wrote instructions on the Roman liturgy for them.)

      But chiefly he brought books, for he was a passionate collector. His
      ambition was to establish a great library in his Wearmouth monastery. He
      also imported pictures from Rome and Vienne, coloured images, and music.
      Among these treasures imported from Rome were a series of pictures of
      Gospels scenes, of Our Lady and the Apostles, and of incidents described
      in the Book of Revelation, to be set up in the church.

      Benedict also devised his rule based on that of Saint Benedict and those
      of the 17 monasteries he had visited. He doubtlessly organised the
      scriptorium in which was written the manuscript of the Bible that his
      successor as prior at Wearmouth, Saint Ceolfrid, took with him in 716 as
      a present to Pope Saint Gregory II: the very book was identified in the
      Biblioteca Laurentiana at Florence in 1887, the famous Codex Amiatinus.
      All this immeasurably enriched the early English Church.

      Because his monastery and church at Wearmouth was so edifying, in 682
      Egfrid gave him a further gift of forty hides of land, this time at
      Jarrow on the Tyne River. Here he established a second monastery six
      miles from St. Peter's, and dedicated it to Saint Paul (now called
      Jarrow) in 685, which became famous as a great centre of learning in the
      West, and the home of Saint Bede. Among its inmates were many Saxon
      thanes turned monks, who ploughed and winnowed, and worked at the forge,
      like the rest, and at night slept in the common dormitory, for rank and
      class had no place among them.

      And because Benedict was busier than ever with all his enterprises and
      still governed both abbeys, he handed over some of his authority.
      Benedict first took to help him at Wearmouth his nephew, Saint
      Eosterwin, a noble like himself, and then Saint Sigfrid. In Jarrow, he
      placed Saint Ceolfrid in charge. While Benedict still ruled the abbeys
      as their founder, he made these men the abbots under his direction of
      the two foundations so that the monasteries would not be without
      leadership during his absences.

      Benedict made his last voyage to Rome in 685, returning with even more
      books and sacred images and some fine silk cloaks of exceptional
      workmanship, which he exchanged with the king for three hides of land.

      It was due to Benedict Biscop that so much material lay to hand for Bede
      and other scholars, and that a solid foundation was laid for the later
      glories of the English Church. After his death the school at Jarrow
      alone comprised 600 scholars, apart from the flow of constant visitors.
      It was also in large part due to him that the Church of Northumbria
      turned from the old Celtic forms to those of Rome. Out of his labours
      and travels came a rich and abundant harvest.

      At the end of his life, Benedict suffered from a painful paralysis in
      his lower limbs. (It is interesting to note that Sigfrid was afflicted
      with the same paralysis about the same time.) Throughout his three-year
      confinement he asked the monks to come into his room to sing Psalms and
      he joined them when he could. His last exhortations to his monks, before
      he died at age 62, were to continue his work, to preserve his great
      library, to follow the monastic Rule of Saint Benedict, and elect an
      abbot based on his holiness and ability rather than his lineage. He said
      he would rather the monasteries be turned into wildernesses than to have
      his brother succeed him as abbot.

      Benedict's biography was written by Saint Bede, who had been entrusted
      to his care at age seven, and whose learning was made possible by the
      library Benedict collected at Jarrow. Bede the historian says that the
      civilisation and learning of the 8th century rested in the monastery
      founded by Benedict.

      Proof of a very early public cultus of Benedict Biscop comes from a
      sermon of Bede on him (Homily 17) for his feast, but the cultus became
      more widespread only after the translation of his relics under Saint
      Ethelwold about 980. Saint Benedict's relics are thought to rest at
      Thorney Abbey, although Glastonbury also claims them (Attwater,
      Benedictines, Delaney, Encyclopedia, Farmer, Gill, Walsh, White).

      In art Saint Benedict is depicted as an abbot in episcopal vestments
      standing by the Tyne with two monasteries near him. Sometimes he is
      shown with the Venerable Bede (Roeder). Patron of painters and musicians
      (Roeder).

      Service to our Holy Father Benedict Biscop, Abbot of Wearmouth & Jarrow
      http://www.orthodoxengland.btinternet.co.uk/servbene.htm

      St. Bede's Life of Benedict Biscop from his
      "Lives of the Abbots of Wearmouth and Jarrow"
      written c. 716:
      http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/bede-jarrow.html

      This window is in the Anglican Church of Saint Faith,
      located on Crosby Road North in Waterloo, about 7 miles north of Liverpool.
      http://www.merseyworld.com/faith/html_file/south.htm

      The Codex Amiatinus:
      http://www.knight.org/advent/cathen/15515b.htm
      and for a more complete treatment of the Codex:
      http://www.knight.org/advent/cathen/04081a.htm

      http://www.proscribe.co.uk/history/manusc01.htm
      A web site with an overview of the many illuminated Gospels
      of Ireland, Scotland and Anglo-Saxon Britain.
      Book of Armagh
      Book of Deer
      Book of Dimma
      Durham Gospels
      Book of Lindisfarne
      Book of Durrow
      Echternach Gospels
      Book of Kells
      Book of MacDurnan
      Book of MacRegol
      Mulling Gospels
      Cathach of Colmcille
      Irish Missal
      Codex Amiatinus
      Book of Lichfield
      Codex Aureus
      St. Gall Gospels
      Vespasian Psalter

      Iona Martyrs
      Died 750. Thirty-eight monks cruelly martyred in Iona (Ireland) (Gill).

      For All the Saints:
      http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/ss-index.htm

      An Alphabetical Index of the Saints of the West
      http://www.orthodoxengland.btinternet.co.uk/saintsa.htm

      These Lives are archived at:
    • ambrois@xtra.co.nz
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 16, 2014