28 September #2

  • ambrois@xtra.co.nz
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2012
      Celtic and Old English Saints 28 September

      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      * St. Conwall of Scotland
      * St. Machan of Scotland
      * St. Lioba of Bischoffsheim
      * St. Tetta of Wimborne
      * St. Sinach Mac Dara
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

      St. Sinach Mac Dara

      September 28 is the feastday of an island hermit saint of the west, Sinach
      Mac Dara. Mac Dara is still used today as a Christian name for Irish males
      in the Connemara Gaeltacht area. Below is an account of Saint Mac Dara's
      life and some interesting folk traditions associated with him, from
      O'Hanlon's Lives of the Irish Saints.

      ST. SINACH MAC DARA, OF INIS CRUACH MAC DARA, COUNTY OF GALWAY.

      OF this holy anchorite little is positively known, and yet his name and
      veneration have survived for many ages. He is much venerated by inhabitants
      on the western shores of Galway. He must have flourished at a very early
      period, however, and most probably at a time, when his remote position
      secluded him from cognizance of our ancient chroniclers. Tradition asserts,
      that the name of our Saint's father was Dara ; and Sinach, his own peculiar
      name, was placed before Mac Dara, that by which he is now popularly known.
      However, the St. Mac Dara of the western coasts should be called Sionnach,
      which was his real name. At the 28th of September, Marianus O'Gorman sets
      down Sinach in his Festilogy. His commentator has a note appended to his
      name which states, that he was from Cruach mac Daro. From other Irish
      Martyrologies regarding this saint, we can glean no particulars.

      On the south-western shore of a peninsula, anciently called Iorrasainteach,
      lies a small Island, presenting to the sea on all sides rocks which are high
      and precipitous, except towards the eastern part, where boats can safely
      touch. The appearance of this Island from a distance, coupled with its
      relation to our saint, gave it the name of Cruach Mac Dara, which when
      anglicised means, "The Rick of Mac Dara," or ''The Island of Mac Dara." Near
      the landing place on this Island, St. Sinach Mac Dara is supposed to have
      built a small stone church, the ruins of which yet remain, and are in a good
      state of preservation. Besides this ruin, a circular or rather oval
      stone-house, twenty-four feet by eighteen, with walls seven feet in
      thickness, is yet to be seen, although in a very dilapidated condition. This
      was probably our saint's usual habitation, and the church might have been
      chiefly in use, as an oratory. At the distance of 300 feet from this church,
      and on its northern side, a square altar, surmounted by a cross, and a holy
      well near it, are pointed out to strangers. Both are dedicated to St. Mac
      Dara. He seems to have led a secluded life on the Island bearing his name,
      and one devoted to the practice of most austere religious rules and duties.
      According to a custom, usual in our old Irish churches, the wooden statue of
      this saint was preserved in his chapel for many centuries subsequent to his
      death-this image being commemorative of the founder and patron, whose
      intercession was invoked. However, for special weighty reasons, the
      Archbishop of Tuam, Malachy Queely, caused its removal during the time of
      his incumbency, and had it buried under the ground. Besides the veneration
      paid our saint on this Island, the inhabitants of Moyrus Parish, on the
      shore of the opposite mainland, point out the ruins of an old parish church,
      which is dedicated to him. There, in the time of Roderick O'Flaherty, [i.e.
      the 17th century] "his altar stone, by the name of Leac Sinach," was kept as
      a venerable relic... Here, the coast inhabitants, who are principally
      fishermen, assemble on the 16th of July each year, to celebrate the festival
      of their patron of Moyrus parish. At this date, however, we find no mention
      of Sinach Mac Dara, in our Martyrologies. The principal festival of our
      saint is noted in the Irish Calendar, as occurring on the 28th day of
      September. This day may probably be assigned, as that for his departure.

      Many miraculous occurrences are recorded, and some superstitious observances
      are said to have been practised in connection with this saint's memory by
      recurring to local tradition. One of the latter practices was the collection
      of Dunleasg or salt sea-leaf, at low water, by women, in order to obtain the
      release of some friend in captivity : this reprieve, however, they expected
      should be obtained chiefly through the intercession of our saint. This
      practice of gathering Dunleasg has been disused for many years past ;
      although old people are yet living, who remember its frequent observance.

      In the time of Roderick O' Flaherty, it was customary for all boats, passing
      between Mason-head and the Island, to lower their sails three times, in
      honour of Mac Dara. In the year 1672, a certain captain of Galway garrison,
      passing without the usual mark of reverence, experienced such a violent
      gale, that he made a vow of never again sailing by without a proper
      obeisance; he was shipwrecked shortly afterwards, and never reached his
      destination. One Gill, a fisherman of Galway, during the prevalence of fair
      weather before and after the occurrence, was struck dead almost
      instantaneously, by a stroke from the mast of his own boat, when it fell on
      his head. This accident, like the former, was attributed to that contempt
      shown towards our saint by a departure from the time-honoured custom. His
      altar-stone, called " Leac Shinac," was said to have been preserved to the
      middle of the present century ; but its whereabouts is not now known. The
      name Mac Dara is a very common prefix to surnames of many Islanders and
      borderers, on the Galway coast, and even boats and hookers belonging to its
      fishermen are inscribed with the name, in token of veneration for our saint.

      http://brigid-undertheoak.blogspot.com/2009/09/lesser-known-irish-saints-sinach-\
      mac.html

      http://tinyurl.com/3gt8efz
    • ambrois@xtra.co.nz