3 September #1

  • ambrois@xtra.co.nz
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2012
      Celtic and Old English Saints 3 September

      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      * St. MacNisse of Connor
      * St. Balin of Techsaxon
      * St. Cuthburga of Wimborne
      * St. Quenburga of Wimborne
      * St. Hereswitha of Chelles
      * St. Edward of England
      * St. Lon-garadh (see #2)
      * St. Gregory the Great (see #3)
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

      St. MacNisse, Bishop of Connor, Dalriada
      (Macnisius, Aengus McNisse. Macanisius)

      Died 506-514. Saint MacNisse, a disciple of Saint Olean (Bolcan?), was
      said to have been baptized as an infant by Saint Patrick. After MacNisse
      made a pilgrimage to the Holy Land and Rome, Patrick consecrated him the
      first abbot-bishop of Kells, which became the diocese of Connor,
      Ireland. His life is filled with miracles, such as changing the course
      of a river for the convenience of his monks and rescuing a child about
      to be executed for his father's crime by causing him to be carried by
      the wind from the executioners to his arms. Various ancient lists record
      different dates for his death (Benedictines, Delaney, Husenbeth,
      Montague).

      Troparion of St MacNis tone 8
      Having learned thy faith from Ireland Enlightener, O holy MacNis,/ thou
      didst found a shining beacon of the True Faith, the Monastery of Kells,/
      from which was bequeathed to Christ's church a treasure of piety and
      wonder, which is with us to this day./ Inspired by thine example, O
      Saint, we beseech thee to intercede with Christ our God/ that we may be
      given grace to follow thee in the way of salvation.

      Some miracles of St MacNisse:

      In the " Feilire " of St. Oengus, yet in a very enigmatical form, the feast
      of St. Mac Nisse is entered at the 3rd of September. Thus rendered in Dr.
      Whitley Stokes' English translation:

      " Colman of Druim Ferta : Longarad a delightful sun; Mac Nisse with
      thousands, from great Conderi."

      The birth of Macnessius is said to have been manifested to St. Patrick, and
      long before the time of its occurrence. St. Macnessius, also written Mac
      Nissi', or Nisa, was the son of Fobrec or Fobreach, as stated in the Annals
      of Tigernach. His mother was named Cnes, a daughter to Conchaid or Conchaide
      of Dal Cethern. The original name of this saint is said to have been Oengus.
      ... In a fountain of water, which miraculously sprung from the earth, it is
      stated, that our saint was baptised by the Apostle of the Irish nation.
      Afterwards, he was known as Mac Cneise or the son of Cnes.

      He was placed under the charge of Bishop Bolcan - a disciple of St.
      Patrick - while he was still very young. To him, the son of Ness was
      entrusted as a foster-child, and from that holy bishop his education had
      been received. When young, he was sent to take charge of certain cows and
      their calves. A deep slumber then oppressed him. Meantime, the calves took
      advantage of their youthful herdsman's sleep to approach the cows, and to
      draw the accustomed sustenance from them. We are told, that the Bishop's
      mother - also the nurse of our saint - felt displeased at his neglect, and
      struck the child. This, however, she did not with impunity; for that hand,
      with which she chastised the youth, became powerless. Whereupon, the Bishop
      required his foster-son to pray for her. Immediately on complying with such
      request,
      the offending member was again restored to its former strength. From such a
      circumstance, and owing to other .miracles of a similar nature, the fame of
      this youthful soldier of Christ was greatly extended.

      Our saint was a most docile pupil to his master, while going through the
      course of elementary studies. When St. Patrick was on a journey through
      Dalaradia, having met Bolcan with our saint, he thus addressed the former :
      " You and your successors shall always be subject to the rule of this your
      companion and to his successors." The Apostle's allusion, in this prophetic
      declaration, referred to the Bishopric subsequently obtained.

      The latter illustrious man gave certain particular charges, regarding the
      education and training of the child. These trusts, on being assumed, were
      faithfully observed and fulfilled. It would appear, from some remarks in the
      Irish Apostle's life, that the saint, when a boy, carried his master's books
      in a leather case ; that he had been entrusted with the care of those
      articles necessary for Divine service ; and that he probably attended the
      Bishop in the capacity of servitor at his different episcopal ministrations.

      Having proved himself perfect in every good work, according to tradition,
      St. Macnessius had been raised to the episcopal dignity by St. Patrick. We
      know not the year of St. Macnissius' ordination ; Ware informs us, however,
      that he was advanced to the episcopal dignity in the fifth century. St.
      Macnessius is said to have made a pilgrimage to the seat of the Apostles,
      and to Jerusalem, visiting also other remarkable places in the Holy Land....

      The holy Bishop was distinguished for the performance of miracles. He was
      inebriated, also, with a spirit of prophesy, and illuminated with Divine
      Revelations. Among the many miracles which he wrought, St. Macnesius healed
      two men, one of whom was blind, and the other was a leper. They presented
      themselves to him in full confidence of being relieved from their
      infirmities ; and having first washed themselves, in a fountain of clear
      water, one of them received the gift of sight, and his companion was
      cleansed from his leprosy, through the prayers of our saint.

      He also delivered a boy, named Colman, from a violent death. A certain
      wicked man, who killed the father of this boy, had seized upon the youth,
      who was under the guardianship of his friends. The tyrant had resolved upon
      putting him to death. However, our saint interfered to preserve his life.
      Finding the cruel man inexorable, Macnessius asked as a favour, that the boy
      should not be slain until brought to a pile of stones, which was conspicuous
      at some distance. This request he obtained, and afterwards our saint went to
      the place. There he engaged in prayer. The youth was thrown into the air, so
      that his body might be received on the points of his executioners' spears.
      Immediately, however, he was conveyed away by Angels, and deposited on the
      holy Bishop's bosom free from all injury. Our saint afterwards nurtured, and
      diligently taught him the rudiments of Religion, and a knowledge of the
      Sacred Scriptures.

      In that Life of our saint, contained in the Salamancan Manuscript, we read,
      that when Macnessius returned to his native country, he miraculously changed
      the current of a river named Curi. This he did, in order that the murmuring
      of its waters should not disturb infirm persons in a monastery, which he
      built at a place called Disart, or Desert. The waters afterwards took a
      distant course from that spot. On a certain day, when he laboured there with
      his monks, he had a revelation, that in company with other holy persons, St.
      Brigid was on the way to his house, in order to confer with him on religious
      subjects. Being greatly rejoiced at this interior admonition, he addressed
      his community with these words: "Brethren, let us give over this work and
      retire to the monastery; we must prepare whatever may be necessary for the
      holy guests, who are journeying hither, and who shall arrive during this
      week."

      In his Acts, it is stated, that in company with St. Patrick and St. Brigid,
      the holy bishop had been journeying through Momonia, and he passed through a
      place, called Lann-ela. While his companions passed on, our saint remained
      there, and perceiving this, St. Patrick sent for St. Macnessius. When this
      latter came up, he was asked the cause for his stopping. Our saint then said
      to St. Patrick: " Over that place in which I stood, I saw the Heavens
      opened, and the Angels of God ascending and descending." St. Patrick
      hereupon said : "It therefore behoves us to leave religious men here to
      serve God." Our saint replied : " Holy Father, if it please you, do not thus
      determine. For a child of my family, who shall be born sixty years from this
      day, and whose name is to be Colman Ela, shall there found a celebrated
      monastery." And, as the Divine Spirit had revealed this to the man of God,
      so his prophecy was afterwards duly fulfilled. It is said, while performing
      his journeys, through reverence for the Gospels, this holy man was
      accustomed to bear books containing its text, on his stooped shoulders, they
      being secured by no kind of fastening. These, with such like virtues, and
      also miracles, distinguished our holy bishop, during his sojourn upon
      earth...

      It is related, in the Bollandists' Acts of our saint, that through the
      effect of his prayers, St. Macnessius obtained the birth of a son for a
      woman advanced in age, and who for fifteen years previously had not given
      birth to any offspring. Again, we are told, the father to the great St.
      Comgall of Bangor, who was named Setna, had been on a journey, accompanied
      by his wife Brig, occupying a seat in a chariot. Seeing our saint travelling
      on foot, Setna said to his wife : "O woman, descend that the Bishop may take
      a place in this chariot." But, on hearing these words, our saint replied :
      "Do not disturb her, for she shall give birth to a king, who will rule over
      many." This was a prediction referring to St. Comgall's future eminence. As
      it is probable, that St. Comgall of Bangor had been born, in the year 510,
      and as it is said our saint delivered a prophecy regarding him the day
      before his birth, we may most probably conclude, St. Macniscius, Bishop of
      Connor, had been living in that year. Our saint did not survive the birth of
      St. Comgall for many years. Other miracles are recorded in his Acts. A town
      that refused hospitality to our saint was immediately consumed, as a
      punishment from on high.

      St. Macnessius is said to have been advanced in years, when the time of his
      death arrived. This was in the early part of the sixth century, although the
      exact date has not been ascertained. However, he departed this life, on the
      3rd day of September, and in the year 514, according to the most probable
      accounts ; although the Annals of Innisfallen name the year 506, as a date
      for his death, with the words, " Quies Macnisse Condire." The "Chronicum
      Scotorum" places his death at a.d. 508. Others have it during the year 507;
      the Annals of Tigernach at a.d. 510 and Colgan, a.d. 513. The holy Bishop
      and founder of the see was buried in the city of Connor.

      Source: Canon John O'Hanlon, Lives of the Irish Saints, Vol IX.

      http://www.archive.org/details/livesofirishsain09ohanuoft

      St. Balin (Ballon, Balanus) of Techsaxon
      7th century. Handsome, well-loved Saint Balin was the brother of Saint
      Gerald, one of four sons of an Anglo-Saxon king. The four accompanied
      Saint Colman of Lindisfarne to Iona, then retired to Connaught, where
      they settled at Tecsaxono (the house of Saxons) in the diocese of Tuam
      (Benedictines, Encyclopedia).

      St. Cuthburga of Wimborne, Widow and Abbess
      Died c. 725; feast day also on August 31. Saint Cuthburga, sister to
      Saint Quenburga and King Ina of Wessex, married the learned and pious
      King Aldfrid of Northumbria in 688. After bearing him two sons, Aldfrid
      gave Cuthburga permission to enter religious life. She became a nun at
      Barking monastery under the direction of Saint Hildelith, and then in
      705 with her sister Saint Quenburga, she founded the double monastery at
      Wimborne in Dorset and governed it as abbess. The convent was strictly
      cloistered. Saint Lioba, who was formed by Cuthburga, reports that even
      prelates were forbidden to enter the nuns' quarters; Cuthburga would
      communicate with them through a little hatch. Hagiographers describe
      Cuthburga as austere with herself, kind to others, and steadfast in
      prayer and fasting. This convent produced the band of missionary nuns
      who helped evangelize Germany (Benedictines, Encyclopedia).

      St. Quenburga (Coenburga) of Wimborne
      Died c. 735. Saint Quenburga, Saint Cuthburga, and the future King Ina
      of Wessex were the children of Cenred, a lord of Wessex. The two sisters
      founded Wimborne Abbey in Dorset about 705. Although it was a double
      (and possibly, triple) abbey, it was intended primarily for nuns.
      Cuthburga was its first abbess. Wimborne was important for having
      produced Saints Lioba and Thecla, who were among the many religious who
      assisted Saint Boniface in his efforts to evangelize Germany (Farmer).

      St. Hereswitha of Chelles, Widow
      Died c. 690. Princess Hereswitha of Northumbria was the sister of Saint
      Hilda and mother of Saints Sexburga, Ethelburga, and Withburga. She
      spent her golden years as a nun in Chelles convent in France
      (Benedictines).

      Translation of the Relics of St. Edward, King of England and Martyr,
      to the Church of Saint Edward at Brookwood, Near Guildford

      Troparion for St Edward the Martyr tone 4
      Celebrating the newly manifest commemoration of the holy King Edward,
      who shone forth of old in the virtues and suffered undeservedly we all
      bow down before the Icon of his honoured countenance and in gladness cry
      out: Truly Thou art wonderful in Thy Saints, O God.

      Lives kindly supplied by:
      For All the Saints:
      http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/ss-index.htm

      These Lives are archived at: