29 October

  • ambrois@xtra.co.nz
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 28, 2011
      Celtic and Old English Saints 29 October

      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      * St. Colman of Kilmacduagh
      * St. Kennera of Scotland
      * St. Elfleda of Ramsey
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

      St. Colman of Kilmacduagh, Bishop

      Born at Corker, Kiltartan, Galway, Ireland, c. 550; died 632; cultus
      approved in 1903. Son of the Irish chieftain Duac, Colman was educated
      at Saint Enda's (f.d. March 21) monastery in Aran. Thereafter he was a
      recluse, living in prayer and prolonged fastings, at Arranmore and then
      at Burren in County Clare. With King Guaire of Connaught he founded the
      monastery of Kilmacduagh, i.e., the church of the son of Duac, and
      governed it as abbot-bishop. The "leaning tower of Kilmacduagh," 112
      feet high, is almost twice as old as the famous town in Pisa. The Irish
      round tower was restored in 1880.

      There is a legend that angels brought King Guaire to him by causing his
      festive Easter dinner to disappear from his table. The king and his
      court followed the angels to the place where Colman had kept the Lenten
      fast and now was without food. The path of this legendary journey is
      called the "road of the dishes."

      As with many relics, Saint Colman's abbatial crozier has been used
      through the centuries for the swearing of oaths. Although it was in the
      custodianship of the O'Heynes of Kiltartan (descendants of King Guaire)
      and their relatives, the O'Shaughnessys, it can now be seen in the
      National Museum in Dublin (Attwater, Benedictines, Carty, D'Arcy,
      Farmer, MacLysaght, Montague, Stokes).

      Other tales are recounted about Saint Colman, who loved birds and
      animals. He had a pet rooster who served as an alarm clock at a time
      before there were such modern conveniences. The rooster would begin his
      song at the breaking of dawn and continue until Colman would come out
      and speak to it. Colman would then call the other monks to prayer by
      ringing the bells.

      But the monks wanted to pray the night hours, too, and couldn't count on
      the rooster to awaken them at midnight and 3:00 a.m. So Colman made a
      pet out of a mouse that often kept him company in the night by giving it
      crumbs to eat. Eventually the mouse was tamed and Colman asked its
      help:

      "So you are awake all night, are you? It isn't your time
      for sleep, is it? My friend, the cock, gives me great
      help, waking me every morning. Couldn't you do the same
      for me at night, while the cock is asleep? If you do not
      find me stirring at the usual time, couldn't you call me?
      Will you do that?"

      It was a long time before Colman tested the understanding of the mouse.
      After a long day of preaching and travelling on foot,
      Colman slept very soundly. When he did not awake at the usual hour in
      the middle of the night for Lauds, the mouse pattered over to the bed,
      climbed on the pillow, and rubbed his tiny head against Colman's ear.
      Not enough to awaken the exhausted monk. So the mouse tried again, but
      Colman shook him off impatiently. Making one last effort, the mouse
      nibbled on the saint's ear and Colman immediately arose--laughing. The
      mouse, looking very serious and important, just sat there on the pillow
      staring at the monk, while Colman continued to laugh in disbelief that
      the mouse had indeed understood its job.

      When he regained his composure, Colman praised the clever mouse for his
      faithfulness and fed him extra treats. Then entered God's presence in
      prayer. Thereafter, Colman always waited for the mouse to rub his ear
      before arising, whether he was awake or not. The mouse never failed in
      his mission.

      The monk had another strange pet: a fly. Each day Colman would spend
      some time reading a large, awkward parchment manuscript prayer book.
      Each day the fly would perch on the margin of the sheet. Eventually
      Colman began to talk to the fly, thanked him for his company, and asked
      for his help:

      "Do you think you could do something useful for me? You
      see yourself that everyone who lives in the monastery is
      useful. Well, if I am called away, as I often am, while
      I am reading, don't you go too; stay here on the spot I
      mark with my finger, so that I'll know exactly where to
      start when I come back. Do you see what I mean?"

      So, as with the mouse, it was a long time before Colman put the
      understanding of the fly to the test. He probably provided the insect
      with treats as he did the mouse--perhaps a single drop of honey or crumb
      of cake. One day Colman was called to attend a visitor. He pointed the
      spot on the manuscript where he had stopped and asked the fly to stay
      there until he returned. The fly did as the saint requested, obediently
      remaining still for over an hour. Colman was delighted. Thereafter, he
      often gave the faithful fly a little task that it was proud to do for
      him. The other monks thought it was such a marvel that they wrote it
      done in the monastery records, which is how we know about it.

      But a fly's life is short. At the end of summer, Colman's little friend
      was dead. While still mourning the death of the fly, the
      mouse died, too, as did the rooster. Colman's heart was so heavy at the
      loss of his last pet that he wrote to his friend Saint
      Columba (f.d. June 9). Columba responded:

      "You were too rich when you had them. That is why you
      are sad now. Great troubles only come where there are
      great riches. Be rich no more."

      Troparion of St Colman of Kilmacduagh tone 8
      Rejecting the nobility of thy birth, O Father Colman,/thou didst seek
      God in the solitude of desert places./ Thy virtue, like a beacon, drew
      men unto thee/ and thou didst guide them into the way of salvation./
      Guide us also by thy prayers, that our souls may be saved.

      A Prayer:

      May God's angels guard us
      and save us till day's end,
      protected by God and Mary
      and *Mac Duach and Mac Daire
      and Colm Cille
      till days' end.

      Aingil De dar gcoimhdeacht
      's dar sabhail aris go fuin;
      ar coimri De is Mhuire,
      Mhic Duach is Mhic Daire
      agus Colm Cille
      aris go fuin.

      *St. Colman MacDuagh

      "An Duanaire 1600-1900: Poems of the
      Dispossessed"

      Map of Monastic Ireland c. 650 AD
      [Kilmacduagh is situated in northwest Munster]
      http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ireland/maps/historical/map650.gif
      As a Tiny URL
      http://tinyurl.com/9bmx7

      In context
      http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ireland/past/pre_norman_history/christianity.html#map

      Photographs of KilMacduagh Monastery:

      and
      http://web.archive.org/web/20021016212212/http://www.hynes.net/kilmacduagh.html
      As a Tiny URL
      http://tinyurl.com/d3m83

      St. Kennera (Kinnera) of Scotland, Virgin Martyr
      ----------------------------
      Born in Scotland, 5th century. Saint Kennera is said to have been
      educated with Saint Ursula (f.d. October 21) and Saint Regulus of Patras
      (f.d. March 30). Later she became a recluse at Kirk-Kinner in Galloway,
      Scotland (Benedictines, Encyclopaedia).

      Troparion of St Kennera tone 8
      Bright beacon of purity and Light of Galloway, O holy Kennera,/ as thou
      didst preserve thyself in virginity for love of Christ,/ pray to Him,
      that despite our corrupt condition He will grant us great mercy.

      St. Elfleda of Ramsey, Abbess
      -----------------------------------
      Died c. 1000. Saint Elfleda, daughter of Earl Ethelwold, founded Ramsey
      Abbey, where she became a nun and eventually abbess (Benedictines).

      Lives kindly supplied by:
      For All the Saints:
      http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/ss-index.htm

      Orthodox Ireland Saints
      http://www.orthodoxireland.com/saints/

      These Lives are archived at:
      ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
    • ambrois@xtra.co.nz

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 29, 2013
[...]

          For All the Saints: - new active link
          http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/saint_a.shtml

          Orthodox Ireland Saints
          http://tinyurl.com/ysvzbh

          An Alphabetical Index of the Saints of the West - new active link
          http://orthodoxengland.org.uk/saintsa.htm

          These Lives are archived at: