Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

2 July

Expand Messages
  • emrys@globe.net.nz
    Celtic and Old English Saints 2 July =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= * St. Swithin of Winchester * St. Oudoc of Llandaff
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      Celtic and Old English Saints 2 July

      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      * St. Swithin of Winchester
      * St. Oudoc of Llandaff
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=


      St. Swithun (Swithin) of Winchester, Bishop
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      Born in Wessex, England; died at Winchester, England, July 2, 862.
      The translation of his relics is observed 15 July.

      Swithin was educated at the Old Abbey, Winchester, and was ordained (it
      is uncertain whether or not he was a monk). He became chaplain to King
      Egbert of the West Saxons, who appointed him tutor of his son Ethelwulf,
      and was one of the king's counsellors. Swithun was named bishop of
      Winchester in 852 when Ethelwulf succeeded his father as king. Swithun
      built several churches and was known for his humility and his aid to the
      poor and needy (Attwater, Benedictines, Delaney).

      A miracle attributed to him in the Golden Legend illustrates his
      understanding of ordinary folk. A poor woman was pushed in a market-day
      crowd and dropped her basket of eggs. St. Swithun blessed the broken
      shells and the eggs were made whole again.

      A long-held popular belief declares it will rain for 40 days if it rains
      on his feast day.

      Saint Swithun's day, if thou dost rain,
      For forty days it will remain;
      Saint Swithun's day, if thou be fair,
      For forty days 'twill rain nae mair.

      * * *

      St. Swithun's Shrine at Winchester Cathedral
      (On the web, with photographs, at
      http://www.britannia.com/church/shrines/sw-shrine.html )


      Before its destruction in 1538, the Shrine of St. Swithun in Winchester
      Cathedral was perhaps the second most popular place of pilgrimage in
      Medieval England. However, despite its popularity in times gone by, no
      illustrations or detailed descriptions of the shrine have survived. The
      form, style and even site of this holy relic remain controversial even
      today.

      The pious Swithun, Bishop of Winchester in the mid 9th century was
      originally buried (862) in a humble grave in the open between the tower
      of St. Martin and the Cathedral Church of the Old Minster in Winchester.
      This original grave, along with the minster itself, was excavated by
      Martin Biddle in the 1960s. St. Swithun, however, was long gone.

      Popular legend insists that the monks tried to move Swithun inside the
      Old Minster, some nine years after his death. The saint, however, did
      not approve of his removal from exposure to the elements. There was a
      clap of thunder and it began to rain for forty days and forty nights!

      About a hundred years later, however, Swithun appears to have changed
      his mind. For various visions are said to have led a subsequent bishop,
      (St.) Aethelwold, to successfully transfer his body inside the Old
      Minster, on 15th July 971. Screens were placed round the grave and St.
      Swithun was ceremonial exhumed: the bishop himself taking up the spade.
      At around the same time, Bishop Aethelwold instigated an ambitious plan
      to turn the Old Minster into a shrine-church centred around St.
      Swithun's relics. He extended the building and enclosed the saint's
      original grave beneath a huge crossing tower. In 974, King Edgar donated
      a magnificent gold and silver feretory in which to enshrine St.
      Swithun's body. It was studded with precious jewels and depicted scenes
      of Christ's Passion, Resurrection and Ascension. On 30th October,
      therefore, Swithun was translated once more. His head was removed to a
      separate head shrine kept in the sacristy upon the altar "in a space
      with a locked door, which could be described as a 'chamber' or
      vestibule, and was guarded by a watcher or sacrist". The main shrine is
      believed to have been placed on an altar over the original grave. Three
      years later, Aethelwold had this area of the Minster completely rebuilt
      with a massive westwork fit to receive the many pilgrims not only
      visiting St. Swithun's Shrine, but those of St. Birinus and St. Birstan
      too.

      St. Swithun's head was taken to Canterbury Cathedral by (St.) Alphege
      when he was elevated from Bishop of Winchester to Archbishop of
      Canterbury in 1006. An arm was also taken to Peterborough Abbey (now
      Cathedral).

      With the arrival of the Normans and the building of the present
      Winchester Cathedral to the south of the Old Minster, St. Swithun was on
      the move once more. On his feast day in 1093, his feretory was carried
      into the, still incomplete, new building and, the very next day, Bishop
      Walkelin ordered the demolition of the Old Minster.

      St. Swithun's feretory was probably placed behind the High Altar. In the
      mid-12th century, Bishop Henry (of Blois) elevated St. Swithun onto a
      large platform built into the eastern apse of the Norman Cathedral
      especially for his veneration. Much remodelled, this area is still known
      as the Feretory or Feretory Platform. Beneath it is the 'Holy Hole': a
      small (originally larger) passage which enabled pilgrims to crawl from
      outside the cathedral to right beneath St. Swithun's Shrine! Bishop
      Henry also surrounded Swithun with the bones of various Saxon Kings and
      Bishops in lead coffers, which he had removed from their 'lowly place'
      of burial. But for how long did the new shrine remain in this position?
      Here the controversy begins.

      Please continue reading at
      http://www.britannia.com/church/shrines/sw-shrine.html

      Service to out Father among the Saints Swithun, Bishop of Winchester
      http://www.orthodoxengland.btinternet.co.uk/servswit.htm


      An article on the Wells of St Swithun:
      http://www.bath.ac.uk/lispring/sourcearchive/ns4/ns4jr1.htm

      The modern shrine (1962) over what was the grave of St Swithun
      http://www.reedhome.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/walks/winchester/pcd0372/17-swithun.jpg

      Tiny Url: http://tinyurl.com/ratlz


      A Walk around Winchester Cathedral
      http://www.reedhome.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/walks/winchester/main.htm



      St. Oudoc of Wales, Abbot
      (Oudecus, Oudoceus, Eddogwy)
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Died c. 600. About 545, the pious Prince Budic of Brittany, migrated
      with his family to Wales, where Saint Oudaceus is said to have been born
      soon after. Oudaceus was the disciple and nephew of Saint Teilo
      (f.d.February 9). Following the inspired training of Teilo, Oudaceus
      became a monk at Llandogo (and some say its bishop about 580). He
      succeeded his uncle as abbot of Llandeilo Fawr.

      All that is known about Oudaceus comes from the "Book of Llan Dav,"
      written about 1150 but incorporating some older material. Oudaceus is
      one of the four patrons of Llandaff cathedral, where his relics rested
      until 1540, although he was never bishop and is sometimes described as
      one, perhaps because of the efforts he made to persuade the abbots of
      Llancarfan, Llantwit, and Llandough to join forces against a corrupt
      local chieftain. The areas served by these monasteries approximates the
      later see of Llandaff.

      Husenbeth, for example, relates the story that when Oudaceus
      excommunicated King Mauric of Glamorgan for killing Prince Cynedu, the
      king immediately repented because of the high esteem in which he held
      Oudaceus.

      The feast of Saint Oudaceus appears on numerous English calendars,
      including Sarum, York, and Hereford, probably due to a belief that he
      presented himself to Saint Augustine of Canterbury (f.d. May 27) for
      consecration (Attwater2, Benedictines, Farmer, Husenbeth).


      Sources:
      ========

      Attwater, D. (1983). The Penguin Dictionary of Saints, NY:
      Penguin Books.

      Attwater, D. (1958). A Dictionary of Saints. New York:
      P. J. Kenedy & Sons. [Attwater 2]

      Benedictine Monks of St. Augustine Abbey, Ramsgate.
      (1947). The Book of Saints. NY: Macmillan.

      Delaney, J. J. (1983). Pocket Dictionary of Saints, NY:
      Doubleday Image.

      Farmer, D. H. (1997). The Oxford Dictionary of Saints.
      Oxford: Oxford University Press.

      Husenbeth, Rev. F. C., DD, VG (ed.). (1928). Butler's
      Lives of the Fathers, Martyrs, and Other Principal Saints.
      London: Virtue & Co.

      For All the Saints:
      http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/ss-index.htm

      These Lives are archived at:
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints
      *****************************************
    • emrys@globe.net.nz
      Celtic and Old English Saints 2 July =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= * St. Swithin of Winchester * St. Oudoc of Llandaff
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2009
      • 0 Attachment
        Celtic and Old English Saints 2 July

        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
        * St. Swithin of Winchester
        * St. Oudoc of Llandaff
        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=


        St. Swithun (Swithin) of Winchester, Bishop
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        Born in Wessex, England; died at Winchester, England, July 2, 862.
        The translation of his relics is observed 15 July.

        Swithin was educated at the Old Abbey, Winchester, and was ordained (it
        is uncertain whether or not he was a monk). He became chaplain to King
        Egbert of the West Saxons, who appointed him tutor of his son Ethelwulf,
        and was one of the king's counsellors. Swithun was named bishop of
        Winchester in 852 when Ethelwulf succeeded his father as king. Swithun
        built several churches and was known for his humility and his aid to the
        poor and needy (Attwater, Benedictines, Delaney).

        A miracle attributed to him in the Golden Legend illustrates his
        understanding of ordinary folk. A poor woman was pushed in a market-day
        crowd and dropped her basket of eggs. St. Swithun blessed the broken
        shells and the eggs were made whole again.

        A long-held popular belief declares it will rain for 40 days if it rains
        on his feast day.

        Saint Swithun's day, if thou dost rain,
        For forty days it will remain;
        Saint Swithun's day, if thou be fair,
        For forty days 'twill rain nae mair.

        * * *

        St. Swithun's Shrine at Winchester Cathedral
        (On the web, with photographs, at
        http://www.britannia.com/church/shrines/sw-shrine.html )


        Before its destruction in 1538, the Shrine of St. Swithun in Winchester
        Cathedral was perhaps the second most popular place of pilgrimage in
        Medieval England. However, despite its popularity in times gone by, no
        illustrations or detailed descriptions of the shrine have survived. The
        form, style and even site of this holy relic remain controversial even
        today.

        The pious Swithun, Bishop of Winchester in the mid 9th century was
        originally buried (862) in a humble grave in the open between the tower
        of St. Martin and the Cathedral Church of the Old Minster in Winchester.
        This original grave, along with the minster itself, was excavated by
        Martin Biddle in the 1960s. St. Swithun, however, was long gone.

        Popular legend insists that the monks tried to move Swithun inside the
        Old Minster, some nine years after his death. The saint, however, did
        not approve of his removal from exposure to the elements. There was a
        clap of thunder and it began to rain for forty days and forty nights!

        About a hundred years later, however, Swithun appears to have changed
        his mind. For various visions are said to have led a subsequent bishop,
        (St.) Aethelwold, to successfully transfer his body inside the Old
        Minster, on 15th July 971. Screens were placed round the grave and St.
        Swithun was ceremonial exhumed: the bishop himself taking up the spade.
        At around the same time, Bishop Aethelwold instigated an ambitious plan
        to turn the Old Minster into a shrine-church centred around St.
        Swithun's relics. He extended the building and enclosed the saint's
        original grave beneath a huge crossing tower. In 974, King Edgar donated
        a magnificent gold and silver feretory in which to enshrine St.
        Swithun's body. It was studded with precious jewels and depicted scenes
        of Christ's Passion, Resurrection and Ascension. On 30th October,
        therefore, Swithun was translated once more. His head was removed to a
        separate head shrine kept in the sacristy upon the altar "in a space
        with a locked door, which could be described as a 'chamber' or
        vestibule, and was guarded by a watcher or sacrist". The main shrine is
        believed to have been placed on an altar over the original grave. Three
        years later, Aethelwold had this area of the Minster completely rebuilt
        with a massive westwork fit to receive the many pilgrims not only
        visiting St. Swithun's Shrine, but those of St. Birinus and St. Birstan
        too.

        St. Swithun's head was taken to Canterbury Cathedral by (St.) Alphege
        when he was elevated from Bishop of Winchester to Archbishop of
        Canterbury in 1006. An arm was also taken to Peterborough Abbey (now
        Cathedral).

        With the arrival of the Normans and the building of the present
        Winchester Cathedral to the south of the Old Minster, St. Swithun was on
        the move once more. On his feast day in 1093, his feretory was carried
        into the, still incomplete, new building and, the very next day, Bishop
        Walkelin ordered the demolition of the Old Minster.

        St. Swithun's feretory was probably placed behind the High Altar. In the
        mid-12th century, Bishop Henry (of Blois) elevated St. Swithun onto a
        large platform built into the eastern apse of the Norman Cathedral
        especially for his veneration. Much remodelled, this area is still known
        as the Feretory or Feretory Platform. Beneath it is the 'Holy Hole': a
        small (originally larger) passage which enabled pilgrims to crawl from
        outside the cathedral to right beneath St. Swithun's Shrine! Bishop
        Henry also surrounded Swithun with the bones of various Saxon Kings and
        Bishops in lead coffers, which he had removed from their 'lowly place'
        of burial. But for how long did the new shrine remain in this position?
        Here the controversy begins.

        Please continue reading at
        http://www.britannia.com/church/shrines/sw-shrine.html

        Service to out Father among the Saints Swithun, Bishop of Winchester
        http://www.orthodoxengland.btinternet.co.uk/servswit.htm


        An article on the Wells of St Swithun:
        http://www.bath.ac.uk/lispring/sourcearchive/ns4/ns4jr1.htm

        The modern shrine (1962) over what was the grave of St Swithun
        http://www.reedhome.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/walks/winchester/pcd0372/17-swithun.jpg

        Tiny Url: http://tinyurl.com/ratlz


        A Walk around Winchester Cathedral
        http://www.reedhome.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/walks/winchester/main.htm



        St. Oudoc of Wales, Abbot
        (Oudecus, Oudoceus, Eddogwy)
        --------------------------------------------------------
        Died c. 600. About 545, the pious Prince Budic of Brittany, migrated
        with his family to Wales, where Saint Oudaceus is said to have been born
        soon after. Oudaceus was the disciple and nephew of Saint Teilo
        (f.d.February 9). Following the inspired training of Teilo, Oudaceus
        became a monk at Llandogo (and some say its bishop about 580). He
        succeeded his uncle as abbot of Llandeilo Fawr.

        All that is known about Oudaceus comes from the "Book of Llan Dav,"
        written about 1150 but incorporating some older material. Oudaceus is
        one of the four patrons of Llandaff cathedral, where his relics rested
        until 1540, although he was never bishop and is sometimes described as
        one, perhaps because of the efforts he made to persuade the abbots of
        Llancarfan, Llantwit, and Llandough to join forces against a corrupt
        local chieftain. The areas served by these monasteries approximates the
        later see of Llandaff.

        Husenbeth, for example, relates the story that when Oudaceus
        excommunicated King Mauric of Glamorgan for killing Prince Cynedu, the
        king immediately repented because of the high esteem in which he held
        Oudaceus.

        The feast of Saint Oudaceus appears on numerous English calendars,
        including Sarum, York, and Hereford, probably due to a belief that he
        presented himself to Saint Augustine of Canterbury (f.d. May 27) for
        consecration (Attwater2, Benedictines, Farmer, Husenbeth).


        Sources:
        ========

        Attwater, D. (1983). The Penguin Dictionary of Saints, NY:
        Penguin Books.

        Attwater, D. (1958). A Dictionary of Saints. New York:
        P. J. Kenedy & Sons. [Attwater 2]

        Benedictine Monks of St. Augustine Abbey, Ramsgate.
        (1947). The Book of Saints. NY: Macmillan.

        Delaney, J. J. (1983). Pocket Dictionary of Saints, NY:
        Doubleday Image.

        Farmer, D. H. (1997). The Oxford Dictionary of Saints.
        Oxford: Oxford University Press.

        Husenbeth, Rev. F. C., DD, VG (ed.). (1928). Butler's
        Lives of the Fathers, Martyrs, and Other Principal Saints.
        London: Virtue & Co.

        For All the Saints:
        http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/ss-index.htm

        These Lives are archived at:
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints
        *****************************************
      • ambrois@xtra.co.nz
        Celtic and Old English Saints 2 July =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= * St. Swithin of Winchester * St. Oudoc of Llandaff
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
        • 0 Attachment
          Celtic and Old English Saints 2 July

          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
          * St. Swithin of Winchester
          * St. Oudoc of Llandaff
          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=


          St. Swithun (Swithin) of Winchester, Bishop
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          Born in Wessex, England; died at Winchester, England, July 2, 862.
          The translation of his relics is observed 15 July.

          Swithin was educated at the Old Abbey, Winchester, and was ordained (it
          is uncertain whether or not he was a monk). He became chaplain to King
          Egbert of the West Saxons, who appointed him tutor of his son Ethelwulf,
          and was one of the king's counsellors. Swithun was named bishop of
          Winchester in 852 when Ethelwulf succeeded his father as king. Swithun
          built several churches and was known for his humility and his aid to the
          poor and needy (Attwater, Benedictines, Delaney).

          A miracle attributed to him in the Golden Legend illustrates his
          understanding of ordinary folk. A poor woman was pushed in a market-day
          crowd and dropped her basket of eggs. St. Swithun blessed the broken
          shells and the eggs were made whole again.

          A long-held popular belief declares it will rain for 40 days if it rains
          on his feast day.

          Saint Swithun's day, if thou dost rain,
          For forty days it will remain;
          Saint Swithun's day, if thou be fair,
          For forty days 'twill rain nae mair.

          * * *

          St. Swithun's Shrine at Winchester Cathedral
          (On the web, with photographs, at
          http://www.britannia.com/church/shrines/sw-shrine.html )


          Before its destruction in 1538, the Shrine of St. Swithun in Winchester
          Cathedral was perhaps the second most popular place of pilgrimage in
          Medieval England. However, despite its popularity in times gone by, no
          illustrations or detailed descriptions of the shrine have survived. The
          form, style and even site of this holy relic remain controversial even
          today.

          The pious Swithun, Bishop of Winchester in the mid 9th century was
          originally buried (862) in a humble grave in the open between the tower
          of St. Martin and the Cathedral Church of the Old Minster in Winchester.
          This original grave, along with the minster itself, was excavated by
          Martin Biddle in the 1960s. St. Swithun, however, was long gone.

          Popular legend insists that the monks tried to move Swithun inside the
          Old Minster, some nine years after his death. The saint, however, did
          not approve of his removal from exposure to the elements. There was a
          clap of thunder and it began to rain for forty days and forty nights!

          About a hundred years later, however, Swithun appears to have changed
          his mind. For various visions are said to have led a subsequent bishop,
          (St.) Aethelwold, to successfully transfer his body inside the Old
          Minster, on 15th July 971. Screens were placed round the grave and St.
          Swithun was ceremonial exhumed: the bishop himself taking up the spade.
          At around the same time, Bishop Aethelwold instigated an ambitious plan
          to turn the Old Minster into a shrine-church centred around St.
          Swithun's relics. He extended the building and enclosed the saint's
          original grave beneath a huge crossing tower. In 974, King Edgar donated
          a magnificent gold and silver feretory in which to enshrine St.
          Swithun's body. It was studded with precious jewels and depicted scenes
          of Christ's Passion, Resurrection and Ascension. On 30th October,
          therefore, Swithun was translated once more. His head was removed to a
          separate head shrine kept in the sacristy upon the altar "in a space
          with a locked door, which could be described as a 'chamber' or
          vestibule, and was guarded by a watcher or sacrist". The main shrine is
          believed to have been placed on an altar over the original grave. Three
          years later, Aethelwold had this area of the Minster completely rebuilt
          with a massive westwork fit to receive the many pilgrims not only
          visiting St. Swithun's Shrine, but those of St. Birinus and St. Birstan
          too.

          St. Swithun's head was taken to Canterbury Cathedral by (St.) Alphege
          when he was elevated from Bishop of Winchester to Archbishop of
          Canterbury in 1006. An arm was also taken to Peterborough Abbey (now
          Cathedral).

          With the arrival of the Normans and the building of the present
          Winchester Cathedral to the south of the Old Minster, St. Swithun was on
          the move once more. On his feast day in 1093, his feretory was carried
          into the, still incomplete, new building and, the very next day, Bishop
          Walkelin ordered the demolition of the Old Minster.

          St. Swithun's feretory was probably placed behind the High Altar. In the
          mid-12th century, Bishop Henry (of Blois) elevated St. Swithun onto a
          large platform built into the eastern apse of the Norman Cathedral
          especially for his veneration. Much remodelled, this area is still known
          as the Feretory or Feretory Platform. Beneath it is the 'Holy Hole': a
          small (originally larger) passage which enabled pilgrims to crawl from
          outside the cathedral to right beneath St. Swithun's Shrine! Bishop
          Henry also surrounded Swithun with the bones of various Saxon Kings and
          Bishops in lead coffers, which he had removed from their 'lowly place'
          of burial. But for how long did the new shrine remain in this position?
          Here the controversy begins.

          Please continue reading at
          http://www.britannia.com/church/shrines/sw-shrine.html

          -oOo-

          Translation of St. Swithin, Bp. Conf., AD 970.

          St. Swithin passed from this world to the' heavenly kingdom in the year 863.
          At his own request he had been buried under the open sky, ' that the rains
          of heaven might fall upon him, and that he might be trodden under foot by
          those who passed along the way. In truth, his humble petition seemed to have
          been fulfilled, and the memory of the holy pastor, of his virtues and his
          miracles, had almost perished, when, more than a century afterwards, God was
          pleased to reveal the glory of his good and faithful servant. The Saint
          appeared to a poor but pious artisan, who lived by the labour of his own
          hands, and charged him to go to St. Ethelwold, then Bishop of Winchester,
          and tell him to effect the translation of his relics, which would be a
          treasure more precious than pearls, by the number of miracles which he would
          work. He then gave him a sign that the mission was a true one namely, that
          he, and none but he, should be able to raise the stone which covered the
          grave, with ease and without assistance. St. Ethelwold readily obeyed, and
          the tomb was opened amidst a crowd of spectators, who brought their
          offerings and commended themselves to the Saint. All obtained their desires,
          and numbers of miracles were worked, in gratitude for which St. Swithin from
          that time was called the Pious that is, the fatherly or compassionate Saint.
          The translation was solemnly performed by St. Ethelwold, with the assistance
          of the Abbots of Glastonbury and the new Monastery of Winchester, and the
          Saint was laid with honour in a fair sepulchre within the church.
          The miracles did not cease, and the monks had become almost weary and
          negligent in attending those who came to seek relief, when they were
          recalled to their duty by a threatening vision of the Saint himself. This
          translation took place on Friday, 15th July, 970.




          A MENOLOGY OF ENGLAND AND WALES; OR, BRIEF MEMORIALS OF THE ANCIENT BRITISH
          AND ENGLISH SAINTS, LONDON, 1892,338-9.

          http://www.archive.org/details/menologyofenglan00stanrich

          -oOo-




          Service to out Father among the Saints Swithun, Bishop of Winchester
          http://www.orthodoxengland.btinternet.co.uk/servswit.htm

          Icons of Saint Swithun
          http://www.allmercifulsavior.com/icons/Icons-Swithin.htm


          An article on the Wells of St Swithun:
          http://www.bath.ac.uk/lispring/sourcearchive/ns4/ns4jr1.htm

          The modern shrine (1962) over what was the grave of St Swithun
          http://www.reedhome.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/walks/winchester/pcd0372/17-swithun.jpg

          Tiny Url: http://tinyurl.com/ratlz


          A Walk around Winchester Cathedral
          http://www.reedhome.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/walks/winchester/main.htm



          St. Oudoc of Wales, Abbot
          (Oudecus, Oudoceus, Eddogwy)
          --------------------------------------------------------
          Died c. 600. About 545, the pious Prince Budic of Brittany, migrated
          with his family to Wales, where Saint Oudaceus is said to have been born
          soon after. Oudaceus was the disciple and nephew of Saint Teilo
          (f.d.February 9). Following the inspired training of Teilo, Oudaceus
          became a monk at Llandogo (and some say its bishop about 580). He
          succeeded his uncle as abbot of Llandeilo Fawr.

          All that is known about Oudaceus comes from the "Book of Llan Dav,"
          written about 1150 but incorporating some older material. Oudaceus is
          one of the four patrons of Llandaff cathedral, where his relics rested
          until 1540, although he was never bishop and is sometimes described as
          one, perhaps because of the efforts he made to persuade the abbots of
          Llancarfan, Llantwit, and Llandough to join forces against a corrupt
          local chieftain. The areas served by these monasteries approximates the
          later see of Llandaff.

          Husenbeth, for example, relates the story that when Oudaceus
          excommunicated King Mauric of Glamorgan for killing Prince Cynedu, the
          king immediately repented because of the high esteem in which he held
          Oudaceus.

          The feast of Saint Oudaceus appears on numerous English calendars,
          including Sarum, York, and Hereford, probably due to a belief that he
          presented himself to Saint Augustine of Canterbury (f.d. May 27) for
          consecration (Attwater2, Benedictines, Farmer, Husenbeth).


          Sources:
          ========

          Attwater, D. (1983). The Penguin Dictionary of Saints, NY:
          Penguin Books.

          Attwater, D. (1958). A Dictionary of Saints. New York:
          P. J. Kenedy & Sons. [Attwater 2]

          Benedictine Monks of St. Augustine Abbey, Ramsgate.
          (1947). The Book of Saints. NY: Macmillan.

          Delaney, J. J. (1983). Pocket Dictionary of Saints, NY:
          Doubleday Image.

          Farmer, D. H. (1997). The Oxford Dictionary of Saints.
          Oxford: Oxford University Press.

          Husenbeth, Rev. F. C., DD, VG (ed.). (1928). Butler's
          Lives of the Fathers, Martyrs, and Other Principal Saints.
          London: Virtue & Co.

          For All the Saints:
          http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/ss-index.htm

          These Lives are archived at:
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints
          *****************************************
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.