2 January

  • ambrós
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 31, 2000
      Celtic and Old English Saints 2 January

      * St. Munchin of Limerick
      * St. Seiriol
      * Lichfield Martyrs

      St. Munchin of Limerick, Bishop
      (also known as Luimnich, Maincin, Manchen)

      7th century (or earlier). Munchin is venerated as the patron of
      Limerick, Ireland, because it grew up around his foundation at Innis
      Ibhton on the Shannon, and derived its name Luimnich from him. In three
      early martyrologies, he is called "the Wise" and "Maincin" (Little
      Monk). While little is certain about his life, he is believed to have
      belonged to the clan of the Dal Cais, who lived near the west coast of
      County Clare (Ennistimon area). A ruling prince gave him the island of
      Limerick, possibly in exchange for his claim to supremacy of his own
      people. He is believed to have established the school at Mungret.
      Tradition also has him the first bishop of Limerick, though scholars
      doubt whether he was a bishop (Benedictines, Delaney, Farmer, Montague).

      St. Seiriol
      --------------
      6th century. A Welsh saint whose memory is perpetuated by the name of
      the island of Ynys-Seiriol (Benedictines).

      Troparion of St Seiriol tone 4
      We hymn thee, O Father Seiriol,/ for thou didst turn the Welsh
      wilderness into a fertile vineyard for the Lord./ By this our
      intercession, O Saint,/ we implore thee to pray to Christ our God/ that
      our labours may be blessed and our souls may be saved.

      Lichfield Martyrs
      -----------------------
      Died 304. Many Christians (possibly about 1000) suffered at Lichfield
      (Lyke-field, the field of dead bodies) in England during the persecution
      of Diocletian (Gill).

      Lives kindly supplied by:
      For All the Saints:
      http://users.erols.com/saintpat/ss/ss-index.htm
      Celtic Orthodox Christianity Home Page
      http://www.nireland.com/orthodox/celtic.htm
      These Lives are archived at:
      http://www.egroups.com/group/celt-saints/
    • ambrós
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 31, 2001
        Celtic and Old English Saints 2 January

        * St. Munchin of Limerick
        * St. Seiriol
        * Lichfield Martyrs

        St. Munchin of Limerick, Bishop
        (also known as Maincin, Manchen, Luimnich)

[...]

        Sources:
        ========

        Benedictine Monks of St. Augustine Abbey, Ramsgate.
        (1947). The Book of Saints. NY: Macmillan.

        Delaney, J. J. (1983). Pocket Dictionary of Saints.
        New York: Doubleday Image.

        Farmer, D. H. (1997). The Oxford Dictionary of Saints.
        Oxford: Oxford University Press.

        Gill, F. C. (1958). The Glorious Company: Lives of Great
        Christians for Daily Devotion,. London: Epworth Press.

        Montague, H. P. (1981). The Saints and Martyrs of Ireland.
        Guildford: Billing & Sons.

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 31, 2002
[...]

          http://www.orthodoxireland.com/celtic.htm

          These Lives are archived at:
        • emrys@globe.net.nz
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 31, 2003
[...]

            http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/ss-index.htm

            Orthodox Ireland Saints
            http://www.orthodoxireland.com/saints/

            An Alphabetical Index of the Saints of the West
            http://www.orthodoxengland.btinternet.co.uk/saintsa.htm

            These Lives are archived at:
          • emrys@globe.net.nz
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 31, 2004
[...]