Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

2 July

Expand Messages
  • emrys@globe.net.nz
    Celtic and Old English Saints 2 July =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= * St. Swithin of Winchester * St. Oudoc of Llandaff
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2005
    • 0 Attachment
      Celtic and Old English Saints 2 July

      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      * St. Swithin of Winchester
      * St. Oudoc of Llandaff
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=


      St. Swithun (Swithin) of Winchester, Bishop
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      Born in Wessex, England; died at Winchester, England, July 2, 862.
      The translation of his relics is observed 15 July.

      Swithin was educated at the Old Abbey, Winchester, and was ordained (it
      is uncertain whether or not he was a monk). He became chaplain to King
      Egbert of the West Saxons, who appointed him tutor of his son Ethelwulf,
      and was one of the king's counsellors. Swithun was named bishop of
      Winchester in 852 when Ethelwulf succeeded his father as king. Swithun
      built several churches and was known for his humility and his aid to the
      poor and needy (Attwater, Benedictines, Delaney).

      A miracle attributed to him in the Golden Legend illustrates his
      understanding of ordinary folk. A poor woman was pushed in a market-day
      crowd and dropped her basket of eggs. St. Swithun blessed the broken
      shells and the eggs were made whole again.

      A long-held popular belief declares it will rain for 40 days if it rains
      on his feast day.

      Saint Swithun's day, if thou dost rain,
      For forty days it will remain;
      Saint Swithun's day, if thou be fair,
      For forty days 'twill rain nae mair.

      * * *

      St. Swithun's Shrine at Winchester Cathedral
      (On the web, with photographs, at
      http://www.britannia.com/church/shrines/sw-shrine.html )


      Before its destruction in 1538, the Shrine of St. Swithun in Winchester
      Cathedral was perhaps the second most popular place of pilgrimage in
      Medieval England. However, despite its popularity in times gone by, no
      illustrations or detailed descriptions of the shrine have survived. The
      form, style and even site of this holy relic remain controversial even
      today.

      The pious Swithun, Bishop of Winchester in the mid 9th century was
      originally buried (862) in a humble grave in the open between the tower
      of St. Martin and the Cathedral Church of the Old Minster in Winchester.
      This original grave, along with the minster itself, was excavated by
      Martin Biddle in the 1960s. St. Swithun, however, was long gone.

      Popular legend insists that the monks tried to move Swithun inside the
      Old Minster, some nine years after his death. The saint, however, did
      not approve of his removal from exposure to the elements. There was a
      clap of thunder and it began to rain for forty days and forty nights!

      About a hundred years later, however, Swithun appears to have changed
      his mind. For various visions are said to have led a subsequent bishop,
      (St.) Aethelwold, to successfully transfer his body inside the Old
      Minster, on 15th July 971. Screens were placed round the grave and St.
      Swithun was ceremonial exhumed: the bishop himself taking up the spade.
      At around the same time, Bishop Aethelwold instigated an ambitious plan
      to turn the Old Minster into a shrine-church centred around St.
      Swithun's relics. He extended the building and enclosed the saint's
      original grave beneath a huge crossing tower. In 974, King Edgar donated
      a magnificent gold and silver feretory in which to enshrine St.
      Swithun's body. It was studded with precious jewels and depicted scenes
      of Christ's Passion, Resurrection and Ascension. On 30th October,
      therefore, Swithun was translated once more. His head was removed to a
      separate head shrine kept in the sacristy upon the altar "in a space
      with a locked door, which could be described as a 'chamber' or
      vestibule, and was guarded by a watcher or sacrist". The main shrine is
      believed to have been placed on an altar over the original grave. Three
      years later, Aethelwold had this area of the Minster completely rebuilt
      with a massive westwork fit to receive the many pilgrims not only
      visiting St. Swithun's Shrine, but those of St. Birinus and St. Birstan
      too.

      St. Swithun's head was taken to Canterbury Cathedral by (St.) Alphege
      when he was elevated from Bishop of Winchester to Archbishop of
      Canterbury in 1006. An arm was also taken to Peterborough Abbey (now
      Cathedral).

      With the arrival of the Normans and the building of the present
      Winchester Cathedral to the south of the Old Minster, St. Swithun was on
      the move once more. On his feast day in 1093, his feretory was carried
      into the, still incomplete, new building and, the very next day, Bishop
      Walkelin ordered the demolition of the Old Minster.

      St. Swithun's feretory was probably placed behind the High Altar. In the
      mid-12th century, Bishop Henry (of Blois) elevated St. Swithun onto a
      large platform built into the eastern apse of the Norman Cathedral
      especially for his veneration. Much remodelled, this area is still known
      as the Feretory or Feretory Platform. Beneath it is the 'Holy Hole': a
      small (originally larger) passage which enabled pilgrims to crawl from
      outside the cathedral to right beneath St. Swithun's Shrine! Bishop
      Henry also surrounded Swithun with the bones of various Saxon Kings and
      Bishops in lead coffers, which he had removed from their 'lowly place'
      of burial. But for how long did the new shrine remain in this position?
      Here the controversy begins.

      Please continue reading at
      http://www.britannia.com/church/shrines/sw-shrine.html

      Service to out Father among the Saints Swithun, Bishop of Winchester
      http://www.orthodoxengland.btinternet.co.uk/servswit.htm


      An article on the Wells of St Swithun:
      http://www.bath.ac.uk/lispring/sourcearchive/ns4/ns4jr1.htm

      The modern shrine (1962) over what was the grave of St Swithun
      http://www.reedhome.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/walks/winchester/pcd0372/17-swi
      thun.jpg

      A Walk around Winchester Cathedral
      http://www.reedhome.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/walks/winchester/main.htm



      St. Oudoc of Wales, Abbot
      (Oudecus, Oudoceus, Eddogwy)
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Died c. 600. About 545, the pious Prince Budic of Brittany, migrated
      with his family to Wales, where Saint Oudaceus is said to have been born
      soon after. Oudaceus was the disciple and nephew of Saint Teilo
      (f.d.February 9). Following the inspired training of Teilo, Oudaceus
      became a monk at Llandogo (and some say its bishop about 580). He
      succeeded his uncle as abbot of Llandeilo Fawr.

      All that is known about Oudaceus comes from the "Book of Llan Dav,"
      written about 1150 but incorporating some older material. Oudaceus is
      one of the four patrons of Llandaff cathedral, where his relics rested
      until 1540, although he was never bishop and is sometimes described as
      one, perhaps because of the efforts he made to persuade the abbots of
      Llancarfan, Llantwit, and Llandough to join forces against a corrupt
      local chieftain. The areas served by these monasteries approximates the
      later see of Llandaff.

      Husenbeth, for example, relates the story that when Oudaceus
      excommunicated King Mauric of Glamorgan for killing Prince Cynedu, the
      king immediately repented because of the high esteem in which he held
      Oudaceus.

      The feast of Saint Oudaceus appears on numerous English calendars,
      including Sarum, York, and Hereford, probably due to a belief that he
      presented himself to Saint Augustine of Canterbury (f.d. May 27) for
      consecration (Attwater2, Benedictines, Farmer, Husenbeth).


      Sources:
      ========

      Attwater, D. (1983). The Penguin Dictionary of Saints, NY:
      Penguin Books.

      Attwater, D. (1958). A Dictionary of Saints. New York:
      P. J. Kenedy & Sons. [Attwater 2]

      Benedictine Monks of St. Augustine Abbey, Ramsgate.
      (1947). The Book of Saints. NY: Macmillan.

      Delaney, J. J. (1983). Pocket Dictionary of Saints, NY:
      Doubleday Image.

      Farmer, D. H. (1997). The Oxford Dictionary of Saints.
      Oxford: Oxford University Press.

      Husenbeth, Rev. F. C., DD, VG (ed.). (1928). Butler's
      Lives of the Fathers, Martyrs, and Other Principal Saints.
      London: Virtue & Co.

      For All the Saints:
      http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/ss-index.htm

      These Lives are archived at:
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints
      *****************************************
    • emrys@globe.net.nz
      Celtic and Old English Saints 2 July =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= * St. Swithin of Winchester * St. Oudoc of Llandaff
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 30, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        Celtic and Old English Saints 2 July

        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
        * St. Swithin of Winchester
        * St. Oudoc of Llandaff
        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=


        St. Swithun (Swithin) of Winchester, Bishop
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        Born in Wessex, England; died at Winchester, England, July 2, 862.
        The translation of his relics is observed 15 July.

        Swithin was educated at the Old Abbey, Winchester, and was ordained (it
        is uncertain whether or not he was a monk). He became chaplain to King
        Egbert of the West Saxons, who appointed him tutor of his son Ethelwulf,
        and was one of the king's counsellors. Swithun was named bishop of
        Winchester in 852 when Ethelwulf succeeded his father as king. Swithun
        built several churches and was known for his humility and his aid to the
        poor and needy (Attwater, Benedictines, Delaney).

        A miracle attributed to him in the Golden Legend illustrates his
        understanding of ordinary folk. A poor woman was pushed in a market-day
        crowd and dropped her basket of eggs. St. Swithun blessed the broken
        shells and the eggs were made whole again.

        A long-held popular belief declares it will rain for 40 days if it rains
        on his feast day.

        Saint Swithun's day, if thou dost rain,
        For forty days it will remain;
        Saint Swithun's day, if thou be fair,
        For forty days 'twill rain nae mair.

        * * *

        St. Swithun's Shrine at Winchester Cathedral
        (On the web, with photographs, at
        http://www.britannia.com/church/shrines/sw-shrine.html )


        Before its destruction in 1538, the Shrine of St. Swithun in Winchester
        Cathedral was perhaps the second most popular place of pilgrimage in
        Medieval England. However, despite its popularity in times gone by, no
        illustrations or detailed descriptions of the shrine have survived. The
        form, style and even site of this holy relic remain controversial even
        today.

        The pious Swithun, Bishop of Winchester in the mid 9th century was
        originally buried (862) in a humble grave in the open between the tower
        of St. Martin and the Cathedral Church of the Old Minster in Winchester.
        This original grave, along with the minster itself, was excavated by
        Martin Biddle in the 1960s. St. Swithun, however, was long gone.

        Popular legend insists that the monks tried to move Swithun inside the
        Old Minster, some nine years after his death. The saint, however, did
        not approve of his removal from exposure to the elements. There was a
        clap of thunder and it began to rain for forty days and forty nights!

        About a hundred years later, however, Swithun appears to have changed
        his mind. For various visions are said to have led a subsequent bishop,
        (St.) Aethelwold, to successfully transfer his body inside the Old
        Minster, on 15th July 971. Screens were placed round the grave and St.
        Swithun was ceremonial exhumed: the bishop himself taking up the spade.
        At around the same time, Bishop Aethelwold instigated an ambitious plan
        to turn the Old Minster into a shrine-church centred around St.
        Swithun's relics. He extended the building and enclosed the saint's
        original grave beneath a huge crossing tower. In 974, King Edgar donated
        a magnificent gold and silver feretory in which to enshrine St.
        Swithun's body. It was studded with precious jewels and depicted scenes
        of Christ's Passion, Resurrection and Ascension. On 30th October,
        therefore, Swithun was translated once more. His head was removed to a
        separate head shrine kept in the sacristy upon the altar "in a space
        with a locked door, which could be described as a 'chamber' or
        vestibule, and was guarded by a watcher or sacrist". The main shrine is
        believed to have been placed on an altar over the original grave. Three
        years later, Aethelwold had this area of the Minster completely rebuilt
        with a massive westwork fit to receive the many pilgrims not only
        visiting St. Swithun's Shrine, but those of St. Birinus and St. Birstan
        too.

        St. Swithun's head was taken to Canterbury Cathedral by (St.) Alphege
        when he was elevated from Bishop of Winchester to Archbishop of
        Canterbury in 1006. An arm was also taken to Peterborough Abbey (now
        Cathedral).

        With the arrival of the Normans and the building of the present
        Winchester Cathedral to the south of the Old Minster, St. Swithun was on
        the move once more. On his feast day in 1093, his feretory was carried
        into the, still incomplete, new building and, the very next day, Bishop
        Walkelin ordered the demolition of the Old Minster.

        St. Swithun's feretory was probably placed behind the High Altar. In the
        mid-12th century, Bishop Henry (of Blois) elevated St. Swithun onto a
        large platform built into the eastern apse of the Norman Cathedral
        especially for his veneration. Much remodelled, this area is still known
        as the Feretory or Feretory Platform. Beneath it is the 'Holy Hole': a
        small (originally larger) passage which enabled pilgrims to crawl from
        outside the cathedral to right beneath St. Swithun's Shrine! Bishop
        Henry also surrounded Swithun with the bones of various Saxon Kings and
        Bishops in lead coffers, which he had removed from their 'lowly place'
        of burial. But for how long did the new shrine remain in this position?
        Here the controversy begins.

        Please continue reading at
        http://www.britannia.com/church/shrines/sw-shrine.html

        Service to out Father among the Saints Swithun, Bishop of Winchester
        http://www.orthodoxengland.btinternet.co.uk/servswit.htm


        An article on the Wells of St Swithun:
        http://www.bath.ac.uk/lispring/sourcearchive/ns4/ns4jr1.htm

        The modern shrine (1962) over what was the grave of St Swithun
        http://www.reedhome.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/walks/winchester/pcd0372/17-swithun.jpg

        Tiny Url: http://tinyurl.com/ratlz


        A Walk around Winchester Cathedral
        http://www.reedhome.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/walks/winchester/main.htm



        St. Oudoc of Wales, Abbot
        (Oudecus, Oudoceus, Eddogwy)
        --------------------------------------------------------
        Died c. 600. About 545, the pious Prince Budic of Brittany, migrated
        with his family to Wales, where Saint Oudaceus is said to have been born
        soon after. Oudaceus was the disciple and nephew of Saint Teilo
        (f.d.February 9). Following the inspired training of Teilo, Oudaceus
        became a monk at Llandogo (and some say its bishop about 580). He
        succeeded his uncle as abbot of Llandeilo Fawr.

        All that is known about Oudaceus comes from the "Book of Llan Dav,"
        written about 1150 but incorporating some older material. Oudaceus is
        one of the four patrons of Llandaff cathedral, where his relics rested
        until 1540, although he was never bishop and is sometimes described as
        one, perhaps because of the efforts he made to persuade the abbots of
        Llancarfan, Llantwit, and Llandough to join forces against a corrupt
        local chieftain. The areas served by these monasteries approximates the
        later see of Llandaff.

        Husenbeth, for example, relates the story that when Oudaceus
        excommunicated King Mauric of Glamorgan for killing Prince Cynedu, the
        king immediately repented because of the high esteem in which he held
        Oudaceus.

        The feast of Saint Oudaceus appears on numerous English calendars,
        including Sarum, York, and Hereford, probably due to a belief that he
        presented himself to Saint Augustine of Canterbury (f.d. May 27) for
        consecration (Attwater2, Benedictines, Farmer, Husenbeth).


        Sources:
        ========

        Attwater, D. (1983). The Penguin Dictionary of Saints, NY:
        Penguin Books.

        Attwater, D. (1958). A Dictionary of Saints. New York:
        P. J. Kenedy & Sons. [Attwater 2]

        Benedictine Monks of St. Augustine Abbey, Ramsgate.
        (1947). The Book of Saints. NY: Macmillan.

        Delaney, J. J. (1983). Pocket Dictionary of Saints, NY:
        Doubleday Image.

        Farmer, D. H. (1997). The Oxford Dictionary of Saints.
        Oxford: Oxford University Press.

        Husenbeth, Rev. F. C., DD, VG (ed.). (1928). Butler's
        Lives of the Fathers, Martyrs, and Other Principal Saints.
        London: Virtue & Co.

        For All the Saints:
        http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/ss-index.htm

        These Lives are archived at:
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints
        *****************************************
      • emrys@globe.net.nz
        Celtic and Old English Saints 2 July =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= * St. Swithin of Winchester * St. Oudoc of Llandaff
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 30, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          Celtic and Old English Saints 2 July

          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
          * St. Swithin of Winchester
          * St. Oudoc of Llandaff
          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=


          St. Swithun (Swithin) of Winchester, Bishop
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          Born in Wessex, England; died at Winchester, England, July 2, 862.
          The translation of his relics is observed 15 July.

          Swithin was educated at the Old Abbey, Winchester, and was ordained (it
          is uncertain whether or not he was a monk). He became chaplain to King
          Egbert of the West Saxons, who appointed him tutor of his son Ethelwulf,
          and was one of the king's counsellors. Swithun was named bishop of
          Winchester in 852 when Ethelwulf succeeded his father as king. Swithun
          built several churches and was known for his humility and his aid to the
          poor and needy (Attwater, Benedictines, Delaney).

          A miracle attributed to him in the Golden Legend illustrates his
          understanding of ordinary folk. A poor woman was pushed in a market-day
          crowd and dropped her basket of eggs. St. Swithun blessed the broken
          shells and the eggs were made whole again.

          A long-held popular belief declares it will rain for 40 days if it rains
          on his feast day.

          Saint Swithun's day, if thou dost rain,
          For forty days it will remain;
          Saint Swithun's day, if thou be fair,
          For forty days 'twill rain nae mair.

          * * *

          St. Swithun's Shrine at Winchester Cathedral
          (On the web, with photographs, at
          http://www.britannia.com/church/shrines/sw-shrine.html )


          Before its destruction in 1538, the Shrine of St. Swithun in Winchester
          Cathedral was perhaps the second most popular place of pilgrimage in
          Medieval England. However, despite its popularity in times gone by, no
          illustrations or detailed descriptions of the shrine have survived. The
          form, style and even site of this holy relic remain controversial even
          today.

          The pious Swithun, Bishop of Winchester in the mid 9th century was
          originally buried (862) in a humble grave in the open between the tower
          of St. Martin and the Cathedral Church of the Old Minster in Winchester.
          This original grave, along with the minster itself, was excavated by
          Martin Biddle in the 1960s. St. Swithun, however, was long gone.

          Popular legend insists that the monks tried to move Swithun inside the
          Old Minster, some nine years after his death. The saint, however, did
          not approve of his removal from exposure to the elements. There was a
          clap of thunder and it began to rain for forty days and forty nights!

          About a hundred years later, however, Swithun appears to have changed
          his mind. For various visions are said to have led a subsequent bishop,
          (St.) Aethelwold, to successfully transfer his body inside the Old
          Minster, on 15th July 971. Screens were placed round the grave and St.
          Swithun was ceremonial exhumed: the bishop himself taking up the spade.
          At around the same time, Bishop Aethelwold instigated an ambitious plan
          to turn the Old Minster into a shrine-church centred around St.
          Swithun's relics. He extended the building and enclosed the saint's
          original grave beneath a huge crossing tower. In 974, King Edgar donated
          a magnificent gold and silver feretory in which to enshrine St.
          Swithun's body. It was studded with precious jewels and depicted scenes
          of Christ's Passion, Resurrection and Ascension. On 30th October,
          therefore, Swithun was translated once more. His head was removed to a
          separate head shrine kept in the sacristy upon the altar "in a space
          with a locked door, which could be described as a 'chamber' or
          vestibule, and was guarded by a watcher or sacrist". The main shrine is
          believed to have been placed on an altar over the original grave. Three
          years later, Aethelwold had this area of the Minster completely rebuilt
          with a massive westwork fit to receive the many pilgrims not only
          visiting St. Swithun's Shrine, but those of St. Birinus and St. Birstan
          too.

          St. Swithun's head was taken to Canterbury Cathedral by (St.) Alphege
          when he was elevated from Bishop of Winchester to Archbishop of
          Canterbury in 1006. An arm was also taken to Peterborough Abbey (now
          Cathedral).

          With the arrival of the Normans and the building of the present
          Winchester Cathedral to the south of the Old Minster, St. Swithun was on
          the move once more. On his feast day in 1093, his feretory was carried
          into the, still incomplete, new building and, the very next day, Bishop
          Walkelin ordered the demolition of the Old Minster.

          St. Swithun's feretory was probably placed behind the High Altar. In the
          mid-12th century, Bishop Henry (of Blois) elevated St. Swithun onto a
          large platform built into the eastern apse of the Norman Cathedral
          especially for his veneration. Much remodelled, this area is still known
          as the Feretory or Feretory Platform. Beneath it is the 'Holy Hole': a
          small (originally larger) passage which enabled pilgrims to crawl from
          outside the cathedral to right beneath St. Swithun's Shrine! Bishop
          Henry also surrounded Swithun with the bones of various Saxon Kings and
          Bishops in lead coffers, which he had removed from their 'lowly place'
          of burial. But for how long did the new shrine remain in this position?
          Here the controversy begins.

          Please continue reading at
          http://www.britannia.com/church/shrines/sw-shrine.html

          Service to out Father among the Saints Swithun, Bishop of Winchester
          http://www.orthodoxengland.btinternet.co.uk/servswit.htm


          An article on the Wells of St Swithun:
          http://www.bath.ac.uk/lispring/sourcearchive/ns4/ns4jr1.htm

          The modern shrine (1962) over what was the grave of St Swithun
          http://www.reedhome.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/walks/winchester/pcd0372/17-swithun.jpg

          Tiny Url: http://tinyurl.com/ratlz


          A Walk around Winchester Cathedral
          http://www.reedhome.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/walks/winchester/main.htm



          St. Oudoc of Wales, Abbot
          (Oudecus, Oudoceus, Eddogwy)
          --------------------------------------------------------
          Died c. 600. About 545, the pious Prince Budic of Brittany, migrated
          with his family to Wales, where Saint Oudaceus is said to have been born
          soon after. Oudaceus was the disciple and nephew of Saint Teilo
          (f.d.February 9). Following the inspired training of Teilo, Oudaceus
          became a monk at Llandogo (and some say its bishop about 580). He
          succeeded his uncle as abbot of Llandeilo Fawr.

          All that is known about Oudaceus comes from the "Book of Llan Dav,"
          written about 1150 but incorporating some older material. Oudaceus is
          one of the four patrons of Llandaff cathedral, where his relics rested
          until 1540, although he was never bishop and is sometimes described as
          one, perhaps because of the efforts he made to persuade the abbots of
          Llancarfan, Llantwit, and Llandough to join forces against a corrupt
          local chieftain. The areas served by these monasteries approximates the
          later see of Llandaff.

          Husenbeth, for example, relates the story that when Oudaceus
          excommunicated King Mauric of Glamorgan for killing Prince Cynedu, the
          king immediately repented because of the high esteem in which he held
          Oudaceus.

          The feast of Saint Oudaceus appears on numerous English calendars,
          including Sarum, York, and Hereford, probably due to a belief that he
          presented himself to Saint Augustine of Canterbury (f.d. May 27) for
          consecration (Attwater2, Benedictines, Farmer, Husenbeth).


          Sources:
          ========

          Attwater, D. (1983). The Penguin Dictionary of Saints, NY:
          Penguin Books.

          Attwater, D. (1958). A Dictionary of Saints. New York:
          P. J. Kenedy & Sons. [Attwater 2]

          Benedictine Monks of St. Augustine Abbey, Ramsgate.
          (1947). The Book of Saints. NY: Macmillan.

          Delaney, J. J. (1983). Pocket Dictionary of Saints, NY:
          Doubleday Image.

          Farmer, D. H. (1997). The Oxford Dictionary of Saints.
          Oxford: Oxford University Press.

          Husenbeth, Rev. F. C., DD, VG (ed.). (1928). Butler's
          Lives of the Fathers, Martyrs, and Other Principal Saints.
          London: Virtue & Co.

          For All the Saints:
          http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/ss-index.htm

          These Lives are archived at:
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints
          *****************************************
        • emrys@globe.net.nz
          Celtic and Old English Saints 2 July =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= * St. Swithin of Winchester * St. Oudoc of Llandaff
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            Celtic and Old English Saints 2 July

            =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
            * St. Swithin of Winchester
            * St. Oudoc of Llandaff
            =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=


            St. Swithun (Swithin) of Winchester, Bishop
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            Born in Wessex, England; died at Winchester, England, July 2, 862.
            The translation of his relics is observed 15 July.

            Swithin was educated at the Old Abbey, Winchester, and was ordained (it
            is uncertain whether or not he was a monk). He became chaplain to King
            Egbert of the West Saxons, who appointed him tutor of his son Ethelwulf,
            and was one of the king's counsellors. Swithun was named bishop of
            Winchester in 852 when Ethelwulf succeeded his father as king. Swithun
            built several churches and was known for his humility and his aid to the
            poor and needy (Attwater, Benedictines, Delaney).

            A miracle attributed to him in the Golden Legend illustrates his
            understanding of ordinary folk. A poor woman was pushed in a market-day
            crowd and dropped her basket of eggs. St. Swithun blessed the broken
            shells and the eggs were made whole again.

            A long-held popular belief declares it will rain for 40 days if it rains
            on his feast day.

            Saint Swithun's day, if thou dost rain,
            For forty days it will remain;
            Saint Swithun's day, if thou be fair,
            For forty days 'twill rain nae mair.

            * * *

            St. Swithun's Shrine at Winchester Cathedral
            (On the web, with photographs, at
            http://www.britannia.com/church/shrines/sw-shrine.html )


            Before its destruction in 1538, the Shrine of St. Swithun in Winchester
            Cathedral was perhaps the second most popular place of pilgrimage in
            Medieval England. However, despite its popularity in times gone by, no
            illustrations or detailed descriptions of the shrine have survived. The
            form, style and even site of this holy relic remain controversial even
            today.

            The pious Swithun, Bishop of Winchester in the mid 9th century was
            originally buried (862) in a humble grave in the open between the tower
            of St. Martin and the Cathedral Church of the Old Minster in Winchester.
            This original grave, along with the minster itself, was excavated by
            Martin Biddle in the 1960s. St. Swithun, however, was long gone.

            Popular legend insists that the monks tried to move Swithun inside the
            Old Minster, some nine years after his death. The saint, however, did
            not approve of his removal from exposure to the elements. There was a
            clap of thunder and it began to rain for forty days and forty nights!

            About a hundred years later, however, Swithun appears to have changed
            his mind. For various visions are said to have led a subsequent bishop,
            (St.) Aethelwold, to successfully transfer his body inside the Old
            Minster, on 15th July 971. Screens were placed round the grave and St.
            Swithun was ceremonial exhumed: the bishop himself taking up the spade.
            At around the same time, Bishop Aethelwold instigated an ambitious plan
            to turn the Old Minster into a shrine-church centred around St.
            Swithun's relics. He extended the building and enclosed the saint's
            original grave beneath a huge crossing tower. In 974, King Edgar donated
            a magnificent gold and silver feretory in which to enshrine St.
            Swithun's body. It was studded with precious jewels and depicted scenes
            of Christ's Passion, Resurrection and Ascension. On 30th October,
            therefore, Swithun was translated once more. His head was removed to a
            separate head shrine kept in the sacristy upon the altar "in a space
            with a locked door, which could be described as a 'chamber' or
            vestibule, and was guarded by a watcher or sacrist". The main shrine is
            believed to have been placed on an altar over the original grave. Three
            years later, Aethelwold had this area of the Minster completely rebuilt
            with a massive westwork fit to receive the many pilgrims not only
            visiting St. Swithun's Shrine, but those of St. Birinus and St. Birstan
            too.

            St. Swithun's head was taken to Canterbury Cathedral by (St.) Alphege
            when he was elevated from Bishop of Winchester to Archbishop of
            Canterbury in 1006. An arm was also taken to Peterborough Abbey (now
            Cathedral).

            With the arrival of the Normans and the building of the present
            Winchester Cathedral to the south of the Old Minster, St. Swithun was on
            the move once more. On his feast day in 1093, his feretory was carried
            into the, still incomplete, new building and, the very next day, Bishop
            Walkelin ordered the demolition of the Old Minster.

            St. Swithun's feretory was probably placed behind the High Altar. In the
            mid-12th century, Bishop Henry (of Blois) elevated St. Swithun onto a
            large platform built into the eastern apse of the Norman Cathedral
            especially for his veneration. Much remodelled, this area is still known
            as the Feretory or Feretory Platform. Beneath it is the 'Holy Hole': a
            small (originally larger) passage which enabled pilgrims to crawl from
            outside the cathedral to right beneath St. Swithun's Shrine! Bishop
            Henry also surrounded Swithun with the bones of various Saxon Kings and
            Bishops in lead coffers, which he had removed from their 'lowly place'
            of burial. But for how long did the new shrine remain in this position?
            Here the controversy begins.

            Please continue reading at
            http://www.britannia.com/church/shrines/sw-shrine.html

            Service to out Father among the Saints Swithun, Bishop of Winchester
            http://www.orthodoxengland.btinternet.co.uk/servswit.htm


            An article on the Wells of St Swithun:
            http://www.bath.ac.uk/lispring/sourcearchive/ns4/ns4jr1.htm

            The modern shrine (1962) over what was the grave of St Swithun
            http://www.reedhome.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/walks/winchester/pcd0372/17-swithun.jpg

            Tiny Url: http://tinyurl.com/ratlz


            A Walk around Winchester Cathedral
            http://www.reedhome.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/walks/winchester/main.htm



            St. Oudoc of Wales, Abbot
            (Oudecus, Oudoceus, Eddogwy)
            --------------------------------------------------------
            Died c. 600. About 545, the pious Prince Budic of Brittany, migrated
            with his family to Wales, where Saint Oudaceus is said to have been born
            soon after. Oudaceus was the disciple and nephew of Saint Teilo
            (f.d.February 9). Following the inspired training of Teilo, Oudaceus
            became a monk at Llandogo (and some say its bishop about 580). He
            succeeded his uncle as abbot of Llandeilo Fawr.

            All that is known about Oudaceus comes from the "Book of Llan Dav,"
            written about 1150 but incorporating some older material. Oudaceus is
            one of the four patrons of Llandaff cathedral, where his relics rested
            until 1540, although he was never bishop and is sometimes described as
            one, perhaps because of the efforts he made to persuade the abbots of
            Llancarfan, Llantwit, and Llandough to join forces against a corrupt
            local chieftain. The areas served by these monasteries approximates the
            later see of Llandaff.

            Husenbeth, for example, relates the story that when Oudaceus
            excommunicated King Mauric of Glamorgan for killing Prince Cynedu, the
            king immediately repented because of the high esteem in which he held
            Oudaceus.

            The feast of Saint Oudaceus appears on numerous English calendars,
            including Sarum, York, and Hereford, probably due to a belief that he
            presented himself to Saint Augustine of Canterbury (f.d. May 27) for
            consecration (Attwater2, Benedictines, Farmer, Husenbeth).


            Sources:
            ========

            Attwater, D. (1983). The Penguin Dictionary of Saints, NY:
            Penguin Books.

            Attwater, D. (1958). A Dictionary of Saints. New York:
            P. J. Kenedy & Sons. [Attwater 2]

            Benedictine Monks of St. Augustine Abbey, Ramsgate.
            (1947). The Book of Saints. NY: Macmillan.

            Delaney, J. J. (1983). Pocket Dictionary of Saints, NY:
            Doubleday Image.

            Farmer, D. H. (1997). The Oxford Dictionary of Saints.
            Oxford: Oxford University Press.

            Husenbeth, Rev. F. C., DD, VG (ed.). (1928). Butler's
            Lives of the Fathers, Martyrs, and Other Principal Saints.
            London: Virtue & Co.

            For All the Saints:
            http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/ss-index.htm

            These Lives are archived at:
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints
            *****************************************
          • emrys@globe.net.nz
            Celtic and Old English Saints 2 July =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= * St. Swithin of Winchester * St. Oudoc of Llandaff
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
            • 0 Attachment
              Celtic and Old English Saints 2 July

              =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
              * St. Swithin of Winchester
              * St. Oudoc of Llandaff
              =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=


              St. Swithun (Swithin) of Winchester, Bishop
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              Born in Wessex, England; died at Winchester, England, July 2, 862.
              The translation of his relics is observed 15 July.

              Swithin was educated at the Old Abbey, Winchester, and was ordained (it
              is uncertain whether or not he was a monk). He became chaplain to King
              Egbert of the West Saxons, who appointed him tutor of his son Ethelwulf,
              and was one of the king's counsellors. Swithun was named bishop of
              Winchester in 852 when Ethelwulf succeeded his father as king. Swithun
              built several churches and was known for his humility and his aid to the
              poor and needy (Attwater, Benedictines, Delaney).

              A miracle attributed to him in the Golden Legend illustrates his
              understanding of ordinary folk. A poor woman was pushed in a market-day
              crowd and dropped her basket of eggs. St. Swithun blessed the broken
              shells and the eggs were made whole again.

              A long-held popular belief declares it will rain for 40 days if it rains
              on his feast day.

              Saint Swithun's day, if thou dost rain,
              For forty days it will remain;
              Saint Swithun's day, if thou be fair,
              For forty days 'twill rain nae mair.

              * * *

              St. Swithun's Shrine at Winchester Cathedral
              (On the web, with photographs, at
              http://www.britannia.com/church/shrines/sw-shrine.html )


              Before its destruction in 1538, the Shrine of St. Swithun in Winchester
              Cathedral was perhaps the second most popular place of pilgrimage in
              Medieval England. However, despite its popularity in times gone by, no
              illustrations or detailed descriptions of the shrine have survived. The
              form, style and even site of this holy relic remain controversial even
              today.

              The pious Swithun, Bishop of Winchester in the mid 9th century was
              originally buried (862) in a humble grave in the open between the tower
              of St. Martin and the Cathedral Church of the Old Minster in Winchester.
              This original grave, along with the minster itself, was excavated by
              Martin Biddle in the 1960s. St. Swithun, however, was long gone.

              Popular legend insists that the monks tried to move Swithun inside the
              Old Minster, some nine years after his death. The saint, however, did
              not approve of his removal from exposure to the elements. There was a
              clap of thunder and it began to rain for forty days and forty nights!

              About a hundred years later, however, Swithun appears to have changed
              his mind. For various visions are said to have led a subsequent bishop,
              (St.) Aethelwold, to successfully transfer his body inside the Old
              Minster, on 15th July 971. Screens were placed round the grave and St.
              Swithun was ceremonial exhumed: the bishop himself taking up the spade.
              At around the same time, Bishop Aethelwold instigated an ambitious plan
              to turn the Old Minster into a shrine-church centred around St.
              Swithun's relics. He extended the building and enclosed the saint's
              original grave beneath a huge crossing tower. In 974, King Edgar donated
              a magnificent gold and silver feretory in which to enshrine St.
              Swithun's body. It was studded with precious jewels and depicted scenes
              of Christ's Passion, Resurrection and Ascension. On 30th October,
              therefore, Swithun was translated once more. His head was removed to a
              separate head shrine kept in the sacristy upon the altar "in a space
              with a locked door, which could be described as a 'chamber' or
              vestibule, and was guarded by a watcher or sacrist". The main shrine is
              believed to have been placed on an altar over the original grave. Three
              years later, Aethelwold had this area of the Minster completely rebuilt
              with a massive westwork fit to receive the many pilgrims not only
              visiting St. Swithun's Shrine, but those of St. Birinus and St. Birstan
              too.

              St. Swithun's head was taken to Canterbury Cathedral by (St.) Alphege
              when he was elevated from Bishop of Winchester to Archbishop of
              Canterbury in 1006. An arm was also taken to Peterborough Abbey (now
              Cathedral).

              With the arrival of the Normans and the building of the present
              Winchester Cathedral to the south of the Old Minster, St. Swithun was on
              the move once more. On his feast day in 1093, his feretory was carried
              into the, still incomplete, new building and, the very next day, Bishop
              Walkelin ordered the demolition of the Old Minster.

              St. Swithun's feretory was probably placed behind the High Altar. In the
              mid-12th century, Bishop Henry (of Blois) elevated St. Swithun onto a
              large platform built into the eastern apse of the Norman Cathedral
              especially for his veneration. Much remodelled, this area is still known
              as the Feretory or Feretory Platform. Beneath it is the 'Holy Hole': a
              small (originally larger) passage which enabled pilgrims to crawl from
              outside the cathedral to right beneath St. Swithun's Shrine! Bishop
              Henry also surrounded Swithun with the bones of various Saxon Kings and
              Bishops in lead coffers, which he had removed from their 'lowly place'
              of burial. But for how long did the new shrine remain in this position?
              Here the controversy begins.

              Please continue reading at
              http://www.britannia.com/church/shrines/sw-shrine.html

              Service to out Father among the Saints Swithun, Bishop of Winchester
              http://www.orthodoxengland.btinternet.co.uk/servswit.htm


              An article on the Wells of St Swithun:
              http://www.bath.ac.uk/lispring/sourcearchive/ns4/ns4jr1.htm

              The modern shrine (1962) over what was the grave of St Swithun
              http://www.reedhome.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/walks/winchester/pcd0372/17-swithun.jpg

              Tiny Url: http://tinyurl.com/ratlz


              A Walk around Winchester Cathedral
              http://www.reedhome.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/walks/winchester/main.htm



              St. Oudoc of Wales, Abbot
              (Oudecus, Oudoceus, Eddogwy)
              --------------------------------------------------------
              Died c. 600. About 545, the pious Prince Budic of Brittany, migrated
              with his family to Wales, where Saint Oudaceus is said to have been born
              soon after. Oudaceus was the disciple and nephew of Saint Teilo
              (f.d.February 9). Following the inspired training of Teilo, Oudaceus
              became a monk at Llandogo (and some say its bishop about 580). He
              succeeded his uncle as abbot of Llandeilo Fawr.

              All that is known about Oudaceus comes from the "Book of Llan Dav,"
              written about 1150 but incorporating some older material. Oudaceus is
              one of the four patrons of Llandaff cathedral, where his relics rested
              until 1540, although he was never bishop and is sometimes described as
              one, perhaps because of the efforts he made to persuade the abbots of
              Llancarfan, Llantwit, and Llandough to join forces against a corrupt
              local chieftain. The areas served by these monasteries approximates the
              later see of Llandaff.

              Husenbeth, for example, relates the story that when Oudaceus
              excommunicated King Mauric of Glamorgan for killing Prince Cynedu, the
              king immediately repented because of the high esteem in which he held
              Oudaceus.

              The feast of Saint Oudaceus appears on numerous English calendars,
              including Sarum, York, and Hereford, probably due to a belief that he
              presented himself to Saint Augustine of Canterbury (f.d. May 27) for
              consecration (Attwater2, Benedictines, Farmer, Husenbeth).


              Sources:
              ========

              Attwater, D. (1983). The Penguin Dictionary of Saints, NY:
              Penguin Books.

              Attwater, D. (1958). A Dictionary of Saints. New York:
              P. J. Kenedy & Sons. [Attwater 2]

              Benedictine Monks of St. Augustine Abbey, Ramsgate.
              (1947). The Book of Saints. NY: Macmillan.

              Delaney, J. J. (1983). Pocket Dictionary of Saints, NY:
              Doubleday Image.

              Farmer, D. H. (1997). The Oxford Dictionary of Saints.
              Oxford: Oxford University Press.

              Husenbeth, Rev. F. C., DD, VG (ed.). (1928). Butler's
              Lives of the Fathers, Martyrs, and Other Principal Saints.
              London: Virtue & Co.

              For All the Saints:
              http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/ss-index.htm

              These Lives are archived at:
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints
              *****************************************
            • emrys@globe.net.nz
              Celtic and Old English Saints 2 July =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= * St. Swithin of Winchester * St. Oudoc of Llandaff
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 1, 2009
              • 0 Attachment
                Celtic and Old English Saints 2 July

                =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                * St. Swithin of Winchester
                * St. Oudoc of Llandaff
                =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=


                St. Swithun (Swithin) of Winchester, Bishop
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                Born in Wessex, England; died at Winchester, England, July 2, 862.
                The translation of his relics is observed 15 July.

                Swithin was educated at the Old Abbey, Winchester, and was ordained (it
                is uncertain whether or not he was a monk). He became chaplain to King
                Egbert of the West Saxons, who appointed him tutor of his son Ethelwulf,
                and was one of the king's counsellors. Swithun was named bishop of
                Winchester in 852 when Ethelwulf succeeded his father as king. Swithun
                built several churches and was known for his humility and his aid to the
                poor and needy (Attwater, Benedictines, Delaney).

                A miracle attributed to him in the Golden Legend illustrates his
                understanding of ordinary folk. A poor woman was pushed in a market-day
                crowd and dropped her basket of eggs. St. Swithun blessed the broken
                shells and the eggs were made whole again.

                A long-held popular belief declares it will rain for 40 days if it rains
                on his feast day.

                Saint Swithun's day, if thou dost rain,
                For forty days it will remain;
                Saint Swithun's day, if thou be fair,
                For forty days 'twill rain nae mair.

                * * *

                St. Swithun's Shrine at Winchester Cathedral
                (On the web, with photographs, at
                http://www.britannia.com/church/shrines/sw-shrine.html )


                Before its destruction in 1538, the Shrine of St. Swithun in Winchester
                Cathedral was perhaps the second most popular place of pilgrimage in
                Medieval England. However, despite its popularity in times gone by, no
                illustrations or detailed descriptions of the shrine have survived. The
                form, style and even site of this holy relic remain controversial even
                today.

                The pious Swithun, Bishop of Winchester in the mid 9th century was
                originally buried (862) in a humble grave in the open between the tower
                of St. Martin and the Cathedral Church of the Old Minster in Winchester.
                This original grave, along with the minster itself, was excavated by
                Martin Biddle in the 1960s. St. Swithun, however, was long gone.

                Popular legend insists that the monks tried to move Swithun inside the
                Old Minster, some nine years after his death. The saint, however, did
                not approve of his removal from exposure to the elements. There was a
                clap of thunder and it began to rain for forty days and forty nights!

                About a hundred years later, however, Swithun appears to have changed
                his mind. For various visions are said to have led a subsequent bishop,
                (St.) Aethelwold, to successfully transfer his body inside the Old
                Minster, on 15th July 971. Screens were placed round the grave and St.
                Swithun was ceremonial exhumed: the bishop himself taking up the spade.
                At around the same time, Bishop Aethelwold instigated an ambitious plan
                to turn the Old Minster into a shrine-church centred around St.
                Swithun's relics. He extended the building and enclosed the saint's
                original grave beneath a huge crossing tower. In 974, King Edgar donated
                a magnificent gold and silver feretory in which to enshrine St.
                Swithun's body. It was studded with precious jewels and depicted scenes
                of Christ's Passion, Resurrection and Ascension. On 30th October,
                therefore, Swithun was translated once more. His head was removed to a
                separate head shrine kept in the sacristy upon the altar "in a space
                with a locked door, which could be described as a 'chamber' or
                vestibule, and was guarded by a watcher or sacrist". The main shrine is
                believed to have been placed on an altar over the original grave. Three
                years later, Aethelwold had this area of the Minster completely rebuilt
                with a massive westwork fit to receive the many pilgrims not only
                visiting St. Swithun's Shrine, but those of St. Birinus and St. Birstan
                too.

                St. Swithun's head was taken to Canterbury Cathedral by (St.) Alphege
                when he was elevated from Bishop of Winchester to Archbishop of
                Canterbury in 1006. An arm was also taken to Peterborough Abbey (now
                Cathedral).

                With the arrival of the Normans and the building of the present
                Winchester Cathedral to the south of the Old Minster, St. Swithun was on
                the move once more. On his feast day in 1093, his feretory was carried
                into the, still incomplete, new building and, the very next day, Bishop
                Walkelin ordered the demolition of the Old Minster.

                St. Swithun's feretory was probably placed behind the High Altar. In the
                mid-12th century, Bishop Henry (of Blois) elevated St. Swithun onto a
                large platform built into the eastern apse of the Norman Cathedral
                especially for his veneration. Much remodelled, this area is still known
                as the Feretory or Feretory Platform. Beneath it is the 'Holy Hole': a
                small (originally larger) passage which enabled pilgrims to crawl from
                outside the cathedral to right beneath St. Swithun's Shrine! Bishop
                Henry also surrounded Swithun with the bones of various Saxon Kings and
                Bishops in lead coffers, which he had removed from their 'lowly place'
                of burial. But for how long did the new shrine remain in this position?
                Here the controversy begins.

                Please continue reading at
                http://www.britannia.com/church/shrines/sw-shrine.html

                Service to out Father among the Saints Swithun, Bishop of Winchester
                http://www.orthodoxengland.btinternet.co.uk/servswit.htm


                An article on the Wells of St Swithun:
                http://www.bath.ac.uk/lispring/sourcearchive/ns4/ns4jr1.htm

                The modern shrine (1962) over what was the grave of St Swithun
                http://www.reedhome.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/walks/winchester/pcd0372/17-swithun.jpg

                Tiny Url: http://tinyurl.com/ratlz


                A Walk around Winchester Cathedral
                http://www.reedhome.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/walks/winchester/main.htm



                St. Oudoc of Wales, Abbot
                (Oudecus, Oudoceus, Eddogwy)
                --------------------------------------------------------
                Died c. 600. About 545, the pious Prince Budic of Brittany, migrated
                with his family to Wales, where Saint Oudaceus is said to have been born
                soon after. Oudaceus was the disciple and nephew of Saint Teilo
                (f.d.February 9). Following the inspired training of Teilo, Oudaceus
                became a monk at Llandogo (and some say its bishop about 580). He
                succeeded his uncle as abbot of Llandeilo Fawr.

                All that is known about Oudaceus comes from the "Book of Llan Dav,"
                written about 1150 but incorporating some older material. Oudaceus is
                one of the four patrons of Llandaff cathedral, where his relics rested
                until 1540, although he was never bishop and is sometimes described as
                one, perhaps because of the efforts he made to persuade the abbots of
                Llancarfan, Llantwit, and Llandough to join forces against a corrupt
                local chieftain. The areas served by these monasteries approximates the
                later see of Llandaff.

                Husenbeth, for example, relates the story that when Oudaceus
                excommunicated King Mauric of Glamorgan for killing Prince Cynedu, the
                king immediately repented because of the high esteem in which he held
                Oudaceus.

                The feast of Saint Oudaceus appears on numerous English calendars,
                including Sarum, York, and Hereford, probably due to a belief that he
                presented himself to Saint Augustine of Canterbury (f.d. May 27) for
                consecration (Attwater2, Benedictines, Farmer, Husenbeth).


                Sources:
                ========

                Attwater, D. (1983). The Penguin Dictionary of Saints, NY:
                Penguin Books.

                Attwater, D. (1958). A Dictionary of Saints. New York:
                P. J. Kenedy & Sons. [Attwater 2]

                Benedictine Monks of St. Augustine Abbey, Ramsgate.
                (1947). The Book of Saints. NY: Macmillan.

                Delaney, J. J. (1983). Pocket Dictionary of Saints, NY:
                Doubleday Image.

                Farmer, D. H. (1997). The Oxford Dictionary of Saints.
                Oxford: Oxford University Press.

                Husenbeth, Rev. F. C., DD, VG (ed.). (1928). Butler's
                Lives of the Fathers, Martyrs, and Other Principal Saints.
                London: Virtue & Co.

                For All the Saints:
                http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/ss-index.htm

                These Lives are archived at:
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints
                *****************************************
              • ambrois@xtra.co.nz
                Celtic and Old English Saints 2 July =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= * St. Swithin of Winchester * St. Oudoc of Llandaff
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 1, 2012
                • 0 Attachment
                  Celtic and Old English Saints 2 July

                  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                  * St. Swithin of Winchester
                  * St. Oudoc of Llandaff
                  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=


                  St. Swithun (Swithin) of Winchester, Bishop
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  Born in Wessex, England; died at Winchester, England, July 2, 862.
                  The translation of his relics is observed 15 July.

                  Swithin was educated at the Old Abbey, Winchester, and was ordained (it
                  is uncertain whether or not he was a monk). He became chaplain to King
                  Egbert of the West Saxons, who appointed him tutor of his son Ethelwulf,
                  and was one of the king's counsellors. Swithun was named bishop of
                  Winchester in 852 when Ethelwulf succeeded his father as king. Swithun
                  built several churches and was known for his humility and his aid to the
                  poor and needy (Attwater, Benedictines, Delaney).

                  A miracle attributed to him in the Golden Legend illustrates his
                  understanding of ordinary folk. A poor woman was pushed in a market-day
                  crowd and dropped her basket of eggs. St. Swithun blessed the broken
                  shells and the eggs were made whole again.

                  A long-held popular belief declares it will rain for 40 days if it rains
                  on his feast day.

                  Saint Swithun's day, if thou dost rain,
                  For forty days it will remain;
                  Saint Swithun's day, if thou be fair,
                  For forty days 'twill rain nae mair.

                  * * *

                  St. Swithun's Shrine at Winchester Cathedral
                  (On the web, with photographs, at
                  http://www.britannia.com/church/shrines/sw-shrine.html )


                  Before its destruction in 1538, the Shrine of St. Swithun in Winchester
                  Cathedral was perhaps the second most popular place of pilgrimage in
                  Medieval England. However, despite its popularity in times gone by, no
                  illustrations or detailed descriptions of the shrine have survived. The
                  form, style and even site of this holy relic remain controversial even
                  today.

                  The pious Swithun, Bishop of Winchester in the mid 9th century was
                  originally buried (862) in a humble grave in the open between the tower
                  of St. Martin and the Cathedral Church of the Old Minster in Winchester.
                  This original grave, along with the minster itself, was excavated by
                  Martin Biddle in the 1960s. St. Swithun, however, was long gone.

                  Popular legend insists that the monks tried to move Swithun inside the
                  Old Minster, some nine years after his death. The saint, however, did
                  not approve of his removal from exposure to the elements. There was a
                  clap of thunder and it began to rain for forty days and forty nights!

                  About a hundred years later, however, Swithun appears to have changed
                  his mind. For various visions are said to have led a subsequent bishop,
                  (St.) Aethelwold, to successfully transfer his body inside the Old
                  Minster, on 15th July 971. Screens were placed round the grave and St.
                  Swithun was ceremonial exhumed: the bishop himself taking up the spade.
                  At around the same time, Bishop Aethelwold instigated an ambitious plan
                  to turn the Old Minster into a shrine-church centred around St.
                  Swithun's relics. He extended the building and enclosed the saint's
                  original grave beneath a huge crossing tower. In 974, King Edgar donated
                  a magnificent gold and silver feretory in which to enshrine St.
                  Swithun's body. It was studded with precious jewels and depicted scenes
                  of Christ's Passion, Resurrection and Ascension. On 30th October,
                  therefore, Swithun was translated once more. His head was removed to a
                  separate head shrine kept in the sacristy upon the altar "in a space
                  with a locked door, which could be described as a 'chamber' or
                  vestibule, and was guarded by a watcher or sacrist". The main shrine is
                  believed to have been placed on an altar over the original grave. Three
                  years later, Aethelwold had this area of the Minster completely rebuilt
                  with a massive westwork fit to receive the many pilgrims not only
                  visiting St. Swithun's Shrine, but those of St. Birinus and St. Birstan
                  too.

                  St. Swithun's head was taken to Canterbury Cathedral by (St.) Alphege
                  when he was elevated from Bishop of Winchester to Archbishop of
                  Canterbury in 1006. An arm was also taken to Peterborough Abbey (now
                  Cathedral).

                  With the arrival of the Normans and the building of the present
                  Winchester Cathedral to the south of the Old Minster, St. Swithun was on
                  the move once more. On his feast day in 1093, his feretory was carried
                  into the, still incomplete, new building and, the very next day, Bishop
                  Walkelin ordered the demolition of the Old Minster.

                  St. Swithun's feretory was probably placed behind the High Altar. In the
                  mid-12th century, Bishop Henry (of Blois) elevated St. Swithun onto a
                  large platform built into the eastern apse of the Norman Cathedral
                  especially for his veneration. Much remodelled, this area is still known
                  as the Feretory or Feretory Platform. Beneath it is the 'Holy Hole': a
                  small (originally larger) passage which enabled pilgrims to crawl from
                  outside the cathedral to right beneath St. Swithun's Shrine! Bishop
                  Henry also surrounded Swithun with the bones of various Saxon Kings and
                  Bishops in lead coffers, which he had removed from their 'lowly place'
                  of burial. But for how long did the new shrine remain in this position?
                  Here the controversy begins.

                  Please continue reading at
                  http://www.britannia.com/church/shrines/sw-shrine.html

                  -oOo-

                  Translation of St. Swithin, Bp. Conf., AD 970.

                  St. Swithin passed from this world to the' heavenly kingdom in the year 863.
                  At his own request he had been buried under the open sky, ' that the rains
                  of heaven might fall upon him, and that he might be trodden under foot by
                  those who passed along the way. In truth, his humble petition seemed to have
                  been fulfilled, and the memory of the holy pastor, of his virtues and his
                  miracles, had almost perished, when, more than a century afterwards, God was
                  pleased to reveal the glory of his good and faithful servant. The Saint
                  appeared to a poor but pious artisan, who lived by the labour of his own
                  hands, and charged him to go to St. Ethelwold, then Bishop of Winchester,
                  and tell him to effect the translation of his relics, which would be a
                  treasure more precious than pearls, by the number of miracles which he would
                  work. He then gave him a sign that the mission was a true one namely, that
                  he, and none but he, should be able to raise the stone which covered the
                  grave, with ease and without assistance. St. Ethelwold readily obeyed, and
                  the tomb was opened amidst a crowd of spectators, who brought their
                  offerings and commended themselves to the Saint. All obtained their desires,
                  and numbers of miracles were worked, in gratitude for which St. Swithin from
                  that time was called the Pious that is, the fatherly or compassionate Saint.
                  The translation was solemnly performed by St. Ethelwold, with the assistance
                  of the Abbots of Glastonbury and the new Monastery of Winchester, and the
                  Saint was laid with honour in a fair sepulchre within the church.
                  The miracles did not cease, and the monks had become almost weary and
                  negligent in attending those who came to seek relief, when they were
                  recalled to their duty by a threatening vision of the Saint himself. This
                  translation took place on Friday, 15th July, 970.




                  A MENOLOGY OF ENGLAND AND WALES; OR, BRIEF MEMORIALS OF THE ANCIENT BRITISH
                  AND ENGLISH SAINTS, LONDON, 1892,338-9.

                  http://www.archive.org/details/menologyofenglan00stanrich

                  -oOo-




                  Service to out Father among the Saints Swithun, Bishop of Winchester
                  http://www.orthodoxengland.btinternet.co.uk/servswit.htm

                  Icons of Saint Swithun
                  http://www.allmercifulsavior.com/icons/Icons-Swithin.htm


                  An article on the Wells of St Swithun:
                  http://www.bath.ac.uk/lispring/sourcearchive/ns4/ns4jr1.htm

                  The modern shrine (1962) over what was the grave of St Swithun
                  http://www.reedhome.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/walks/winchester/pcd0372/17-swithun.jpg

                  Tiny Url: http://tinyurl.com/ratlz


                  A Walk around Winchester Cathedral
                  http://www.reedhome.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/walks/winchester/main.htm



                  St. Oudoc of Wales, Abbot
                  (Oudecus, Oudoceus, Eddogwy)
                  --------------------------------------------------------
                  Died c. 600. About 545, the pious Prince Budic of Brittany, migrated
                  with his family to Wales, where Saint Oudaceus is said to have been born
                  soon after. Oudaceus was the disciple and nephew of Saint Teilo
                  (f.d.February 9). Following the inspired training of Teilo, Oudaceus
                  became a monk at Llandogo (and some say its bishop about 580). He
                  succeeded his uncle as abbot of Llandeilo Fawr.

                  All that is known about Oudaceus comes from the "Book of Llan Dav,"
                  written about 1150 but incorporating some older material. Oudaceus is
                  one of the four patrons of Llandaff cathedral, where his relics rested
                  until 1540, although he was never bishop and is sometimes described as
                  one, perhaps because of the efforts he made to persuade the abbots of
                  Llancarfan, Llantwit, and Llandough to join forces against a corrupt
                  local chieftain. The areas served by these monasteries approximates the
                  later see of Llandaff.

                  Husenbeth, for example, relates the story that when Oudaceus
                  excommunicated King Mauric of Glamorgan for killing Prince Cynedu, the
                  king immediately repented because of the high esteem in which he held
                  Oudaceus.

                  The feast of Saint Oudaceus appears on numerous English calendars,
                  including Sarum, York, and Hereford, probably due to a belief that he
                  presented himself to Saint Augustine of Canterbury (f.d. May 27) for
                  consecration (Attwater2, Benedictines, Farmer, Husenbeth).


                  Sources:
                  ========

                  Attwater, D. (1983). The Penguin Dictionary of Saints, NY:
                  Penguin Books.

                  Attwater, D. (1958). A Dictionary of Saints. New York:
                  P. J. Kenedy & Sons. [Attwater 2]

                  Benedictine Monks of St. Augustine Abbey, Ramsgate.
                  (1947). The Book of Saints. NY: Macmillan.

                  Delaney, J. J. (1983). Pocket Dictionary of Saints, NY:
                  Doubleday Image.

                  Farmer, D. H. (1997). The Oxford Dictionary of Saints.
                  Oxford: Oxford University Press.

                  Husenbeth, Rev. F. C., DD, VG (ed.). (1928). Butler's
                  Lives of the Fathers, Martyrs, and Other Principal Saints.
                  London: Virtue & Co.

                  For All the Saints:
                  http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/ss-index.htm

                  These Lives are archived at:
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints
                  *****************************************
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.