Good Morning

  • Steven Lewis
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 14, 2002
      Good Morning! I have just been approved and I thank you. My first
      boat building experience was with a Cedar Strip Canoe, as a part of
      three teams that built her. I was with the third (and last) team that
      worked on her and was priviledged to actually get to be one of the
      two who launched and paddled her on her first voyage. As I recall
      (this was about 22 years ago), The boat was built out of 1"x 1/4"
      cedar strips, then 'glassed with polyester and glass cloth. We used
      hand split ash for the gunnels and keel strip and raw moose hide for
      the seats. This is called Babiche (sp), and was hand woven and
      shellaced. We took a day long trip down a twisting and winding river
      and creek route in Northern Ontario, as the maiden voyage for the
      canoe. Currently I have built a number of boats, but in the stitch
      and glue method. My son recently asked for a canoe so we could go
      fishing in a little pond nearby, so we built a canoe, out of a
      modification of a design I came up with while he was in CubScouts. I
      know it isn't a strip canoe but there was a time crunch (about 2
      weeks) and this was done in about 12 hours of labor. Got some picture
      here: http://lewisboatworks.com/html/ScoutCanu8.htm

      I still think about that first little (12') canoe and would like to
      build another sometime, time and wife permitting.

      I would also like to announce that there will be a Messabout at Lake
      Okaboji, in NW Iowa, next summer. We would love to see some
      representation of the strip building arts at the meet. Anyone
      interested in attending should email me off post at
      numbaoneman@...

      We are open to all homebuilt craft, valuing the spirit of the build
      rather than the method. Paddle, row, sail and power are all welcome.
      Hopefully camping will be available here:
      http://www.state.ia.us/dnr/organiza/ppd/gullpt.htm
      but it is first come, first served. Dates are still being refined,
      but will be announced as soon as possible.
      There will be no fees, and this is not an attempt to sell anything.
      Simply it is an opportunity for people who like to build boats to get
      together and BS, look at each other's achievements and learn about
      other people, tho you will be responsible for your own sustinance and
      housing. Hope to see some of y'all there!!

      Steven Lewis
      LewisBoatWorks
    • J. R. Sloan
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 17, 2002
        I just finished looking over your site, examined your canoe/jonboat designs and read
        your Word documents. Lots of great tips and lots of good information there.
        Curious about which engine you used to set up your site?

        Anyway, I'll be back with you later, going to work on the boat. Time for the final
        finishing sanding before the glas goes on--it rained today, so will wait til it gets
        a bit drier before getting the plastic out of the can.

        JR

        Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
        http://news.yahoo.com