Make Your Own Paddle!

  • cbp704
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2014
      Greetings, all!

      Pretty quiet around here lately, so I thought I'd help Jim out and post a link to one of my web pages that seems to generate more email than any other: the bird's mouth hollow shaft paddle making page. I recently updated it with some seriously neato reader feedback plus a couple of very interesting paddle reports from rivers in Croatia! See link at bottom of article:

      http://ngc704.home.comcast.net/~ngc704/paddles/

      Cheers,
      Kurt Maurer
      League City, Texas
      www.sawdustfactory.net
    • Jim Marco
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2014

        Kurt,

                        That was some really impressive work!  Both the paddles and the write-ups/instructions. Thanks!

                        I just have to talk you into one of those double paddle thingies.  I have broken the blades off of two so far. I was using filler and epoxy as the glue for the shafts. A couple layers of 3oz glass around the paddle shaft worked real well.  Yours are a lot simpler, though.

                        My thoughts only . . .

                                        jdm

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2014
          Jim, thanks for the kind words!

          I'm a big believer in using waterproof wood glue over epoxy for gluing up laminated paddle shafts and blades. I'll even glue blade to shaft with it if the joint fits tightly enough. Titebond II is my favorite. About the only time I go for epoxy as a bonding agent is when I gotta have some gap filling ability.

          I avoid epoxy for several reasons: first and foremost, I have had epoxy joints fail, never with wood glue. And a close second is weight. Epoxy is heavy, and I want my stuff to be light. You gotta use some, but don't have to sling it everywhere. :-) Also, wood glue is a lot more user friendly and way easier to clean up.

          Note to all: As Jim says, "my thoughts only"; I don't propose to instruct, only to share what seems to work well for me.

          Cheers,
          Kurt Maurer
          League City, Texas
          www.sawdustfactory.net