finishing touches

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4 7:23 AM
      After reading about the wipe on method of applying varnish I thought of what else could be done to make the finishing process quicker and easier.
      I had purchased a fiberglass/Kevlar dory several years ago. It had cherry for gunwales and seats which looked great. I asked what was used to finish the wood work and was told to apply Australian timber oil each year. I have done so and the wood still looks like new despite sitting out in the weather year round.

      Mean while I keep applying layer after layer of spar varnish each year on my canoes. Every couple of years it cracks and peels and need a heavy sanding. This is just on the bare wood not the epoxy.
      I still do not understand why I do this. A little slow on the take up I guess or caught in a rut.

      After using the wipe on method during which I sanded/scraped the bare wood down I took some of timber oil and applied a few coats. It soaked in nice and deep and looks great. The canoe looks like new and has one of the best finishes I've obtained. I'm hoping the timber oil works as well on the open grained oak and ash as it does on the cherry. If so I'll be saving lots of time each fall and have better looking canoes for less effort.