Re: [Cedar Strip Canoes] Cedar Strip vs Composite

  • Martin Walker
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 15, 2013
      Looks like a nice boat.  If properly constructed, I think you could paddle it for a long time with little maintenance.

      I have built cedar strip/epoxy glass canoes for 35 years.   I still have the first one I ever built.  It has been stored indoors, but has had very little maintenance. It's been  paddled all over the eastern U.S. and a good bit of Canada. It is dinged, scraped, and seriously needs to be refinished.   On the other hand, it has never delaminated, never leaked, and I would take it out right now and and go camping for a week or two with no worries.

      For the last 20 years I have taught a class in boat construction at the local high school.  We build mostly cedar strip epoxy glass laminated canoes and sell the boats to fund the class.   I always tell my customers they have lifetime warranty on their boats, and to bring them back if they have any problems.  They don't come back.