Correction re. wipe on thinning ratio

  • Charles Scott
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
      I just read what I'd written and find that for some reason I'd written
      that the urethane was thinned by 59%. Don't know why I wrote that.

      The correct ratio is 50%, but I don't think it needs to be ultra precise.

      Corky Scott

      Sent from my iPad
    • Steve Bergeron
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
        I saw that weird number and then saw you used it again. I wondered why 59% was so magical. Hehe, typo. Makes more sense now

        Steve

        Sent via mobile

        On Jun 25, 2013, at 6:53 AM, Charles Scott <charles.k.scott@...> wrote:

        > I just read what I'd written and find that for some reason I'd written
        > that the urethane was thinned by 59%. Don't know why I wrote that.
        >
        > The correct ratio is 50%, but I don't think it needs to be ultra precise.
        >
        > Corky Scott
        >
        > Sent from my iPad

      • Jim Marco
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
          Corky,
          I have read anything between 1:1 (50%) thinner/poly, 2:1 (66.67%) thinner/poly, 3:1 (75%) thinner/poly. I personally added 7 coats to a table with turned legs at 2:1 and it came out great. But, I never used it on a canoe, since I use regular spar varnish cut 1:1 with thinner, but that may change because I ran out of what I had in stock.
          My daughter used Helmsman, but that will soften in water. She dragged it over a couple beaver dams and it scraped the finish off, down to the epoxy. It left threads hanging off the boat so I looked and decided that this was not something to use, after we got to camp and flipped the boats over. The wipe on looks better, but, I think I will stick with McCluskeys.
          Thanks!
          jdm

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
            Thanks for your input. I think I need another correction: the ratio I'm
            talking about is 1:1. I kept getting crossed up in the ratio. But you put
            one ounce, or one level of urethane in the bucket, you then add that much
            thinner and mix it together. That's 1:1, not 50% as I've written.

            That's what I've been doing and it's worked out very nicely.

            Sorry for the confusion.

            Corky Scott

            Sent from my iPad

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013